Baby Showers

early shower?

As you can see from my ticker, I am very early in my pregnancy. Here's my question. Is it alright to have a shower very early? A good friend of mine would like to throw me a shower in the next few months so that some of our VERY close friends will be in town for at lest one shower. (They will be out of state from late Sept. until like, June of next year.) Thoughts?? TIA!
Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

Re: early shower?

• I posted a similar question a few weeks ago, because DH and I live 3500 miles from our friends/family. We'll be visiting in early October, when I will be about 22 weeks pregnant. Nearly everyone on Bump said go ahead and do the shower early when I'm visiting.

I'm still not 100% certain myself, but do take some comfort in the majority opinion.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I personally wouldn't. And I honestly would feel weird attending a shower for a person any less than AT LEAST 20 weeks along.

But you know your situation &your crowd better.

"If every word I said, could make you laugh - I'd talk forever".
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • There's nothing wrong with having an earlier than usual shower (meaning before the usual 6-8 weeks out from due date) when circumstances require it, but I would be hesitant to even talk about showers so early in pregnancy.  Maybe it's just me b/c I'm superstitious (we didn't even tell family, let alone friends, that we were expecting until exactly 12 weeks) but you'll want to make sure all is well before making plans like this.

I wouldn't do anything earlier than 20 weeks. 

• imageavalovesart:

I posted a similar question a few weeks ago, because DH and I live 3500 miles from our friends/family. We'll be visiting in early October, when I will be about 22 weeks pregnant. Nearly everyone on Bump said go ahead and do the shower early when I'm visiting.

I'm still not 100% certain myself, but do take some comfort in the majority opinion.

I remember that post. And I agree. I celebrated my shower early because DH and I had not moved back to Cali yet, and my mom really wanted to celebrate the baby.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Showers after 13 weeks are pretty safe and fine to have.  I'm having my shower at week 23 since I'm rarely in town (2000+ miles away) with family.
    Married 5-24-2008;
    BFP 4-19-11. Ezri Ana born on due date, Dec 30 2011!
    My Ovulation Chart 
    BFP 10-05-2014; MMC 11-15-2014.
    BFP 02-17-2015
  • Anything before 20 weeks is rather unusual, you'd hardly be showing and you might not know the gender (if you wish to).  Obviously you want some assurance that the pregnancy is going well before you have a big celebration with friends. While the miscarriage rate drops after 1st trimester, there's still a lot of concerns about development prior to 20 weeks and that first big anatomy scan.  Why not have friends get-together, but not call it a shower?  They can always send you presents later.  Don't want to seem like a debbie downer, but I almost regretted announcing the pregnancy to friends at 13 weeks when my bloodwork came back abnormal a few weeks later.  Everything turned out fine subsequently, but there's just a lot of uncertainty until that anatomy scan.  

• I think it's a bit odd to have a shower so early.  You'll be barely 4 months pregnant by then.
  • I was due in September with my first and my aunt and cousins held a shower for me in May when I went home to visit. So no It won't be too early. You just won't be hugely pregnant.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image.
  • I think you should at least wait until you know what you are having.  Or at least wait until that ultrasound, if you are team green.  You shouldn't really do it any sooner, because products and things change a ton in a few months and you could end up regretting the things you registered for.  At the very least, you need to wait until you are out of 1st trimester, for obvious reasons.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would say go ahead with it. its your closet friends who you would want at your baby shower anyways. and as long as your doing one ( or more showers) later on when your farther along in your pregnancy where you can invite the rest of the people you know i dont see anything wrong with it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • No, No, No thats tooooooo early. Wait at less till you are about 6,7 months. Lets just play it on the safe side.No rush. Plus it more excited to have a baby shower once you know the gender. I understand this may be a little to excited for you but once you find out the gender then you can consider a bbyshower.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"