Success after IF

Questions about hyperemesis

Figured I would ask those of you that suffered in your pregnancy or any nurses that might know...

I haven't been able to bring myself to research this too thoroughly,  but I am wondering about the likelihood of having it again with another pregnancy.  And, I guess, how likely?

Thanks, I think... 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Questions about hyperemesis

• Well..based on my interactions on www.helpher.org, it looks like there is a high likelihood of it occurring with each pregnancy (sometimes worse, sometimes not as severe). Which scares the bejesus out of me.
  • I had it as bad with my second and third as I did with my first.  My fourth pregnancy I had no morning sickness but I also lost that pregnancy.  This last pregnancy I was sick the entire time but not quite as bad as those first three.

Kelly, Mom to Christopher Shannon 9.27.06, Catherine Quinn 2.24.09, Trey Barton lost on 12.28.09, Therese Barton lost on 6.10.10, Joseph Sullivan 7.23.11, and our latest, Victoria Maren 11.15.12

Secondary infertility success with IVF, then two losses, one at 14 weeks and one at 10 weeks, then success with IUI and then just pure, crazy luck.  Expecting our fifth in May as the result of a FET.

This Cluttered Life

• Loading the player...
  • I had it throughout my pregnancy with my first, recieved fluids and zofran. With my second it was worse, I was hopsitalized twice. I never had the pump though. I figure if I have a third it will get worse again and the pump will be the next step.  I lost 11 pounds with my first, nine pounds with my second, but didn't start to gain it back until 30 weeks, whereas with my first i started gaining it back at roughly 20 weeks. Blah for hypermesis.
    Hey I just met you, and you're my baby. This is your family, we're kind of crazy...Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie - (tl9S)Lilypie - (zrx8)imageimageimage
  • My sister had it with her first, and while she was sick with the second, it wasn't nearly as bad (no hospitalizations or IV fluids required with the second and it only lasted half the pregnancy)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • my friend had it with both of her pregnancies
  • smileesmilee member

Pretty much what I was afraid of.  I guess at least if we do decide to try again, I still have my IV pole from the last pregnancy.

ugh.

• Nothing scientific here, but I had a good friend who had it worse the 2nd time around.  Not sure this matters, but her 2nd child had a different father then the first.  

Sorry....I'm sure not what you want to hear... 

• smileesmilee member
    imagechaucer:

Nothing scientific here, but I had a good friend who had it worse the 2nd time around.  Not sure this matters, but her 2nd child had a different father then the first.  

Sorry....I'm sure not what you want to hear... 

Ha ha.... I want to hear that the next go around I will be a happy, glowing beautiful pregnant person that can eat whatever she wants and go on baby moons, shop, and go to work like a normal person and not be the heaving mess that lost 20 pounds in her first trimester, could eat 5 things her entire pregnancy, sported a sexy zofran pump and IV pole while missing work and being confined to the hospital or my home and throwing up until the very moment I gave birth ( in the delivery room!) 

But.... I needed to hear the truth!  We are really starting to think about cycling again and I really do need to think about what my last pregnancy was like and what a future one might be like, because now it will impact D as well.

A lot to think about.  

• I hate to be the bearer of bad news but... I had it again the second time.  It was probably just as severe as the first time and lasted just as long (maybe a week or 2 longer).  However, I think I was able to cope a little better the second time around.  Not that I didnt feel miserable but I learned from the last time.  There are some tricks, things to avoid, and it wont last forever (although looking at 4 months of vomiting all day, every day, seems like forever).

All that said, we wont be having a third...

Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

-----Lisa-----
  • My friend had it first pregnancy but did not have it her second one! She was miserable her first pregnancy and actually didn't want to have a 2nd because of it. She got pregnant by accident (her first was IVF) with 2nd! She is now pregnant with her 3rd, so far (she is only 13 weeks) seems to be okay!
  • I've had 2 friends who had it bad with the first pregnancy (hospitalized, PICC lines, all possible meds), then didn't have it the 2nd time around. I've also cared for patients who had it with one pregnancy but not the other (first vs second, or second vs first), but also cared for those who've had it with all pregnancies. I think it just is the luck of the draw unfortunately....but hopefully this gives you a little hope that it can happen (to not happen! LOL).
  • I threw up a bit with my first pregnancy.  My second pregnancy that lasted more than 4 weeks, I was a queezy.  With the twins, I had started throwing up at 7 weeks.  I was admitted to the hospital more times than I can count.  I ended up with 20 pounds lost and only gained 10.  I had a zofran pump, reglan, pepcid and had home iv's to provide my nutrition.  With Christopher, I lost 30 pounds, admitted more than home.  I had a zofran pump, reglan, and zantac.  They wanted to do a PICC line and TPN.  
  • They never diagnosed me with hyperemesis, but I lost a good amount of weight till week 28 in my first pregnancy with Ella.

It happened again with the twins where I didn't stop throwing up till the day I gave birth:(  

I'm sorry, I know that's not what you want to hear:(

Ella- 8/22/08, Jules and Tuck- 12/15/10
  • I have 2 friends who had hyperemesis. One had it with her first, didn't with her second and did again with her third. The other didn't have it with her first but did have it with her second. I have a question for you-do you instantly feel better after you deliver or does it take a few weeks? I've never thought to ask my friends (we're not super close and we live in different states, so I've never been around them right after delivery)
  • imagesweetpea18:
    I have 2 friends who had hyperemesis. One had it with her first, didn't with her second and did again with her third. The other didn't have it with her first but did have it with her second. I have a question for you-do you instantly feel better after you deliver or does it take a few weeks? I've never thought to ask my friends (we're not super close and we live in different states, so I've never been around them right after delivery)

I threw up one more time right after I delivered and then it was like I was a new person.  It was very, very strange. lol 

• imagesasa625:
    My sister had it with her first, and while she was sick with the second, it wasn't nearly as bad (no hospitalizations or IV fluids required with the second and it only lasted half the pregnancy)

This, only with my cousin. She was hospitalized several times with her first, and not at all with her second. She still felt like crap, but I got the impression that the second was more like morning sickness than HG  

• I have a friend who has 3 kids.  Unfortunately, it got worse with each child. She was hooked up to an IV most of her 3rd pregnancy. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"