December 2010 Moms
Options

Christmastime baby and first birthday.

Ari's birthday is on Dec 24th.  I would like to have a party for him but everyone is so busy at Christmastime I know most people won't be able to make it.  My plan was to have a halfway to birthday celebration but we were on vacation this year in Amsterdam.

Traditionally, Dec 24th is my parents' wedding anniversary.  My entire family comes over and we have Chinese food.  Maybe this year we should just have cake for dessert and stat doing the half way to birthday celebrations next June? 

We don't really do the whole themed birthday party thing until the child is old enough to request it themselves. So I don't feel like he would be shortchanged.  I know this is a fear for those with birthdays close to Christmas.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Christmastime baby and first birthday.

• Options

I think that is a great idea. You may actually be able to do that for a few years. I doubt your parents would mind sharing their day with their grandbaby, and it would be super convenient for everyone since all your family will already be there. I think birthdays for really young kids tend to be more of a family affair anyway. I agree that he won't be shortchanged. He'll have cake and family. He will be a very happy little guy!

Asher's birthday is December 21. DH's birthday is the 17th. I don't think we will do half birthday parties. We will just make sure his birthday presents and his Christmas presents are kept separate. Since our families are used to separating DH's birthday and Christmas, I don't think it'll be much of a problem. My only fear is what will happen when he gets older and wants a party with friends. I am worried no one will be around to help him celebrate, but I guess we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

imageimageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

I think that sounds like a good idea! Maybe you can leave a piece of birthday cake for Santa, too!!! That would be a cute tradition!

DS2's b-day is 12/10, and DS1 is 1/2... The first year, we had DS1's party on Jan 9th... no place was open the day after New Year's (it was a saturday). Last year we just had cake at the house with the grandparents- we had a 3 week old and I'm not a fan of huge parties every year. A 2 year old doesn't care anyway!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    klinkyklinky member
    We have a 12/24 baby too.  DH's family traditionally does Chinese on Xmas Eve too.  I think we are going to do cake/presents on 12/23 this year with grandparents/aunts & uncles and then proceed on with Xmas.  She will get a party when she's old enough to request a party.
  • Options
    We plan on doing half birthdays for our 12/24 DS when he's a bit older. This year we're living far from family so we probably won't do much; next year we'll probably do a party the week before.
  • Options
    I don't think I like the half birthday idea.  I feel like it's planned to focus more on the gifts rather than celebrating a special day. I might do a party a week or two early so it doesn't interfere with holiday travel plans. 
    imageimage
  • Options
    My oldest is a December baby too. I have never had a problem with parties etc.My oldest was born on Dec 18 as a matter of fact.I also never heard of half birthday parties until I joined this board. I mentioned the idea to a few people and they saw no point to it.they also asked if iI ever saw a birthday candle that says one and a half etc (1 1/2) .
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"