Baby Names

When I say Duncan...

What's the first thing that comes to mind? Do you think my kid would be nicknamed "donut" forever?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: When I say Duncan...

• Some kids may call him that, but I don't think it would stick forever. I love the name Duncan. It's Scottish and means "dark skinned warrior."
  • Great name, but yes, I think he would have to endure some donut references from time to time, especially in Massachusetts.

But if that's the worst thing about the name, that's pretty good. Though, I suppose it could be rough if he turns out to be a fat kid. Still, it's a great name. Embrace the donut.

• Loading the player...
  • I think of Dunkin' Donuts....
  • I thought "Hines" as well.  And I always have to read it twice, because it looks like "Dunce" to me.
  • imageJoy2611:

Honestly, because you phrase it "When I say Duncan..." I immediately thought "You say Hines.  Duncan. Hines."  etc...

Had you just said "What do you think of Duncan?" I would have said I really like it.  No, I don't think of Dunkin Donuts at all.  I think of the king from Macbeth.

This

• I thought of Good Luck Charlie. I didn't think of donuts until you mentioned it.
    ~ Married 14 years and counting ~
    Chandler 11/2000 ~ Bronwyn 6/2002 ~ Grayson 3/2010 ~ Matilda/Till 6/2012
    IAmPregnant Ticker
    BFP 10/20/11 ::sticky dust::
    BFP 9/11/11 - m/c 9/25/11 5w5d
  • When I saw the title, I actually thought "Hines" first.  Strange because I am a huge DD fan.
  • I think it depends on your area.  DD are not that big around here, so I don't think we'd have that problem.  I like the name though.
  • imageJoy2611:

Honestly, because you phrase it "When I say Duncan..." I immediately thought "You say Hines.  Duncan. Hines."  etc...

I thought the exact same thing, and I live in the state that is said to have the most DD stores per capita. I think kids will always find something to tease about but this particular worry wouldn't stop me if I really loved the name.

Kristen and Bryan ~ 10-10-10 Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I know a guy in his early 30s named Duncan- I have never associated his name with Dunkin Donuts.  I like the name!  Kids will always find reasons to tease. 
  • Hines.

But I still like it! 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Definitely think of doughnuts immediately, also Duncan Flush comes to mind...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I say Hines.

Then I envision a yummy homemade cake.

Photobucket
    My two angels

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• MmmmmM....Boston Creme!

I thought Hines when seeing it because of the spelling. I'm sure when hearing it, I would think donuts but I do still like the name. Plus side, most kids would have no clue what Duncan Hines is!

Married my best friend on 5/14/05
    Three Girls: Bits 2/08  Biscuit 10/09 & Sweet Chuck 2/12
    One Favorite son: Suishy Smalls 6/14
    And another Princess coming 7/16
  • I think:

1. Donuts
    2. Macbeth
    3. I like this name anyway. Smile

• I thought hines before donut but kids will make fun of any name.  
  • I love the name Duncan...there could be worse associations than cake and donuts, IMO!

***now I want a donut**

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • An ex-boyfriend. It was his last name, but pretty much all boys are called by their last name if they were in sports. We don't have any Dunk'n Donuts around here so it wasn't something he was called. Actually I think his nn was "nipper".
  • Donuts
  • imagejkep5909:
    My first thought was Duncan Sheik.... that band that had like 1 hit in the 90s... it's pretty random that I thought of that and not donut.  LOL   I agree with pp that it depends on ;where you live.  Here in MA I think most everyone would think of DD, but other areas may not.

This. How weird...

• I think of donuts and a Collie that some family friends of our had when I was growing up.
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • well duncan hines, of course. did i even spell that right? i just don't like the sound of the name at all.
  • Duncan MacLeod of the clan MacLeod... but I'm a little older and love Adrian Paul

Mother of  Sable Rene' & Clifton Michael
    Blog    Names
  • imageRoxyLynn:
    I thought "Hines" as well.  And I always have to read it twice, because it looks like "Dunce" to me.

Ditto....I like the name, but I always read it "Dunce" at first.

• Joie80Joie80 member
    i didn't even think of doughnuts. Instead, I  thought Heinz :)
  • I know a little Duncan, and I don't ever think of "donut" when I think of him.
    the bug & bee blog
    (read it. you know you want to.)
    anderson . september 2008
    vivian . february 2010
    mabel . august 2012
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Duncan McCloud the Highlander
  • We don't have Dunkin Donuts here, so my first thought was of a character from the book, "The Dangerous Lives of Altar Boys". Oh, and isn't it also a yo-yo brand? I think so.. not too sure.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    PitaPata Cat tickers
  • It sounds like a really dumb kid to me, like someone who is almost mentally retarded. I don't know why I have this association, but it just sounds like the name of a mentally deficient person to me.

I didn't think of Dunkin Donuts first (but I grew up on the west coast where they didn't really exist). I'm in Florida now, and they're EVERYWHERE, so yeah, I could see people giving him that moniker (especially if he happened to be overweight).

Haha. I'm sorry. I just told you that this name made your kid sound fat and stupid. I guess I just really don't like it.

• Hines.
    Missed m/c found @ 10 weeks - May 2010
    Missed m/c found @ 10.5 weeks - August 2012
  • I think of surname from a girl I used to go to school with.

B.R.C. 5/08-- N.R.C. 5/10--S.R.C. 3/14

&

BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11

BFP#4 8.27.13 (EDD 5.6.14) DD born 4.23.14

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

• frlcbfrlcb member
    imageAlphabetFish:

It sounds like a really dumb kid to me, like someone who is almost mentally retarded. I don't know why I have this association, but it just sounds like the name of a mentally deficient person to me.

I didn't think of Dunkin Donuts first (but I grew up on the west coast where they didn't really exist). I'm in Florida now, and they're EVERYWHERE, so yeah, I could see people giving him that moniker (especially if he happened to be overweight).

Haha. I'm sorry. I just told you that this name made your kid sound fat and stupid. I guess I just really don't like it.

Are you for real? Did you seriously just say you think a name makes you think of someone mentally retarded? This post is wrong on so many levels. 

• 1. Donuts2. Heines (as in cake mix)Sorry - it's a nice name, but those two popped into my head right away. If you love it use it!
  • I think of the Duncan Hines cake mixes :)

08.2008 | Diagnosed with PCOS
    11.2011 | First appointment with RE
    12.2011 | HSG reveals 100% blockages in both tubes
    02.2012 | Laparoscopy & Hysteroscopy to unblock tubes...success!

{ BFP # 1 | April 1, 2012 }
    Jonah Alexander is here! Born 12.07.12 @ 39w3d

{ BFP # 2 | May 22, 2013 }
    Chemical Pregnancy :(

{ BFP # 3 | February 12, 2014 }
    So far, so good! We love you, little peanut!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Dunikin donuts. Or Duncan from the Highlander haha. I dont think those are particularly strong associations tho, so I wouldnt let it hold you back
  • imageAlphabetFish:

It sounds like a really dumb kid to me, like someone who is almost mentally retarded. I don't know why I have this association, but it just sounds like the name of a mentally deficient person to me.

Not very well stated... but I get what you mean on the level that you connect Duncan with Dunce

• Sry but being PG I def think of donuts when I hear Duncan, but don't listen to me!  I've been obsessed with Dunkin Donuts for about 2 months now! lol Can't get enough
  • Hines

1st pregnancy: m/c began 1/12/09 d&c 1/13/09 8wks. Baby stopped growing at about 6wks.

Delaney: Born 10/15/09

Gavin: Born 4/8/11

Baby #3: due July 10, 2014

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"