Success after IF

My nephew the hoarder has gotten worse- my sister is taking him to the dr

So the other day, he freaked out cause my sister was throwing away a bag of my niece's old/outgrown shoes.  I posted about how he threw himself on the bag of shoes and begged my sister to let him keep them for his "girl kid when he has one".  

Friday is garbage day.  Yesterday he screamed and was shaking. Begging my sister (his mother) to let him see what was in the garbage.   She kept telling him "Son it's garbage. There's Pee Pee Pad in there (from the dog), Pull Ups.  It's yucky".   He kept saying, "But I want to see.".   My sister said he was literally shaking.  They were outside for 40 minutes with my nephew pleading with my sister to let him look through the garbage.   He said "Please just let me save one bag"  He managed to drag one bag of garbage up the driveway and into the garage.  My sister then brought him inside to get ready for the day.   Well he freaked out when he heard the garbage truck come down the street.  "I don't want them to sqooush my garbage!".    He wants to save everything and always thinks of ways he can use it.  Like a cartop carrier we brought back from NY (it's broken now) that my sister threw away.  He says "I want to save it for my car when I grow up".  

Then he asked what happens to the garbage once it gets picked up.  So my sister looked it up to show him.  

She called his dr and explained what was happening.  This has been going on for a year now (just started getting worse recently).  Hopefully the Dr has some insight.  I'm sure she will refer my sister to a Child Psychologist.   

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: My nephew the hoarder has gotten worse- my sister is taking him to the dr

• Bless his heart...I hope they figure out whatever is causing this and he can find some peace.

Poor kiddo..

• that is really frightening. i am sure they will refer your sister to a psychologist, and i hope the psychologist can help. 

i read your original post the other day but did not have time to reply- i hope that they get some help and he can get better, it does sound like serious hoarding behavior. 

eta: i mean what i say with great sympathy- after re-reading my post i worried it sounded judgmental. i also hope that he and your family find some peace.

• Loading the player...
  • How old is he? Has anything happened where he lost something or someone close/special to him?
  • Wow, I'm sorry. That is really sad. It's great your sister is being proactive and getting him the help he clearly needs. I hope he is able to get the help he needs so he can be a happier little guy. I will keep him and your sis and family in my thoughts and prayers, I know it must be hard on her.
    For DD - IVF/ICSI #1 - BFP / For DS - dIUI #1 - BFP Dx:severe MFI-Y Chromosome Microdeletion Isabel born 10-15-08! / Baby Boy EDD July 2013 imageLily  pie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • i'm so sorry that they are dealing with this. i hope that the psychologist can help.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I didn't see your first post but this makes my heart break. I hope they find a way to help your nephew, I am so sorry she and him have to go through this. (((((HUGS))))) for your family.
  • imagekittylove:
    I didn't see your first post but this makes my heart break. I hope they find a way to help your nephew, I am so sorry she and him have to go through this. (((((HUGS))))) for your family.
      me either-poor kid.  How old is he?  Hope they can help him.

Diagnosed PCOS & MFI-Success with IUI
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imagebrowneyedgrl4282:
    How old is he? Has anything happened where he lost something or someone close/special to him?

He'll be 6 in October.  No nothing like that has happened.  My sister said it started with him gathering up garbage outside right before a storm hits, cause he's afraid it will blow away.  Then he also started lining up his trucks in his room and if my sister says "Okay lets clean up your trucks (i.e. get them out from in the middle of the floor)".  he says "No! I like them all lined up" 

• The poor little boy. I hope he gets the help he needs.
    TTC since 8/07 DX - Severe MFI/azoospermia & MTHFR/ TESEs found sperm - 7/08 & 6/09/ 12/08 - IVF#1 - BFN/ 6/09 - IVF #2 - cancelled due to OHSS risk (had retrieval)/ 7/09 - FET #1 - BFN/ 9/09 - FET #2 - BFN/ 11/09 - IVF #3 with new RE cancelled twice - 10/09 & 11/09/ 1/10 - IVF #3 take 3 - BFN/ 4/10 - IVF #4 - first ever BFP on 5/13/10!!! 108 @ 10dp3dt/ 2nd beta 311!/ sono on 5/28/10 said TWINS!!!! Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Poor little guy that is so sad. I really hope there are some services in his area.  Children's mental health is so badly under resourced.
  • The scene you described brought tears to my eyes. You poor sister must have been so heart sick and frustrated all at once, and I can't imagine.  Poor little guy and his anxiety.

She (and you) should be congratulated for being so proactive and understanding and not judgemental.

• ugh, that is so hard.  Your poor sister, your poor nephew!  It sounds like he does need help and ASAP.  Luckily, it is probably a form of OCD and can be treated through counseling and medication if need be but Drs. know so much more about these disorders now.   So scary though!  
  • I'm so sorry about your nephew-it's wonderful that your sister is being so proactive and I hope he gets the help he needs soon.

• My mother's BFF's daughter had severe OCD that was finally treated when she was in high school, and it has made a world of difference (she used to freak out if her bows weren't tight, if her shoelaces weren't exactly the same length, etc.).  This is definitely the best thing for him.  Lots of good thoughts for your family.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Poor guy. I hope the doctor can help refer him to someone who can help. Sending lots of positive thoughts his way!
  • My son (4.5) has OCD, and I can relate to this. We have done Congnitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) and it has been extremely effective. My prayers are with your sister - this is intensely difficult for everyone involved, I know first hand.

DS #1 born 11/23/06 - our IVF miracle! Missing our sweet baby who was spontaneously conceived. 20 week loss on 6/24/10. DS #2 born 10/22/11 at 38w1d after FET #1. Life is GOOD!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"