November 2011 Moms

Kick counts.

Just read my discharge papers. My doctor wants me to start kick counts, but she's only looking for four in a hour. I've read that doctors usually want up to ten. Have any of you started kick counts, and if so - how many movements is your doctor looking for?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Kick counts.

• My doctor told me that I wouldn't need to start kicking counts until 28 weeks. I don't remember how many kicks they look for at that point, but ten sounds right for later on.
    imageimage
  • imageEmerald27:
    My doctor told me that I wouldn't need to start kicking counts until 28 weeks. I don't remember how many kicks they look for at that point, but ten sounds right for later on.

This.  Mine said they start counting at 28 weeks.

BTW:  my brother and SIL had a baby last week and he is Henry!  Good name.  Big Smile

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Loading the player...
  • Hmm...my doctor hasn't mentioned anything about kick counts...

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageKBBH:

imageEmerald27:
    My doctor told me that I wouldn't need to start kicking counts until 28 weeks. I don't remember how many kicks they look for at that point, but ten sounds right for later on.

This.  Mine said they start counting at 28 weeks.

BTW:  my brother and SIL had a baby last week and he is Henry!  Good name.  Big Smile

Thanks! DH and I love the name. We decided before we even got our BFP that if we had a boy, we would name him Henry. :)

imageimage
  • From what I've read, the "expert" advice is 10 movements in 2 hours starting at 28 weeks.  Some doctors do say 10/hour instead, if you count at the time your baby is most active, again starting at 28 weeks.

Perhaps because you are only 26 weeks your doctor may feel you might miss smaller movements so is happy with 4 and hour instead of 5? I don't know, I just completely made that up.  If you want clarification, ask her :)

I will also say, my doctor doesn't recommend kick counts.  She told me last pregnancy that if I want to do them, I can but she doesn't believe it's necessary if I am aware of regular movements.  If I felt there was a decrease, I should call.  She didn't care if I had "counts" for her or not.  I called twice last pregnancy, and both times she brought me in immediately for a NST.  Both times everything was fine (obviously).  Her philosophy is to trust mothers to know what is normal for their child.  SHe said that if I needed to count every day to know what's normal I could.  I found I didn't need to count to know my son's patterns.  He was always crazy active though.  This baby is much calmer, I may do actual counts this time around.  We'll see how it feels at 28 weeks :)

• He's usually pretty active so I really don't see a reason for kick counts. I know when he's sleeping and when he's awake, but she wants me to do them so I suppose I will. Good reason for me to take a break and relax for an hour =]
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Mine has all her patients start at 26 weeks but none of my friends had to start them until 28 weeks.   She gave me the instruction sheet last time and I've been doing them for a few days.  She wants me to do them three times a day for an hour around the same time each day (morning, lunch, evening). Two of those three, I only have to count 4 but once a day she wants to assure there are at least 10 in an hour.

• Listen to what your doctor wants. If he/she wants only four at this point fine. Later when you see him/her it may go up to ten.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image.
  • My doctor wants to see 10 when I do them....I'm doing them now and just waiting for some kicks....I just started yesterday. 
  • imagekurokai:
    He's usually pretty active so I really don't see a reason for kick counts. I know when he's sleeping and when he's awake, but she wants me to do them so I suppose I will. Good reason for me to take a break and relax for an hour =]

It will probably take you WAY less than an hour most times :)

• I'm guessing she's looking for fewer simply because you are a little earlier, I don't think you normally start doing them until 3rd tri.
    Raising a threenager since 11/11
    Baby boy #2 due 5/6/15
  • At my appointment on Friday, they gave me my paper work so I can start kick counts week 28.  Also, I need to have 10 kicks in 2 hours.  Hope this helps. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"