High-Risk Pregnancy

Bicornuate uterus anyone?

I had an MRI with contrast this am to determine if I have one. I had a recent loss and there was a question of bicornuate uterus on my Ultrasound.  If anyone also has one, I'd love to hear your experience.

Here's a link to my blog with information about my recent experience.

https://bloghelloworld2012.blogspot.com/

Re: Bicornuate uterus anyone?

• I have a bicornuate uterus. When I was younger I had a scan for something that found the bicornuate uterus. As soon as I became pregnant I started seeing a perinatologist. At this point my baby is breech so they think I will end up having her by c-section since she does not have as much room to turn. If you have any questions, feel free to pm me!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm so sorry for your loss.  I have a unicornuate uterus.  You should check out the bicornuate and uterine anomalies boards on Yahoo Groups.  You'll get a bigger concentration of people to talk to there.  Best of luck to you.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Hi - I'm sorry to hear about your loss.  Mine was discovered at my 20wk u/s with DS1.  Prior to that, I had never heard of such a thing.  I did get good info from this site when I was first starting out:

https://mulleriananomalies.blogspot.com/2007/12/what-are-different-types-of-mllerian.html

I recently wrote out my experience having a bicornuate uterus for a fellow Bumpie, this is just a copy & paste of what I wrote to her:

Looking back, there was nothing major but at the time it did stress me out. I had read somewhere that with a uterine anomaly like this, you should have another u/s at 32 weeks to check for restricted growth. My ob never said anything about that but when I asked she just shrugged and said sure.

At that 32wk u/s, the tech was concerned that my cervix was thinning. I think I was like 3cm dilated and maybe 30% thinned? They sent me straight to the hospital for monitoring where they said I was having contractions but not strong ones. I was given an FFN test and that night got a call that it came back positive. I don't know if you've heard of the FFN before, but it's a test they use to check for preterm labor. The problem with this test is that a negative result means you will NOT deliver in the next 2 weeks. A positive result means you have a 33% chance of delivering within 2 weeks (or a 66% chance of NOT delivering). It doesn't really tell you much.

The ob who gave me my results is rather high strung and worries a lot so he immediately placed me on bedrest. My regular ob changed that to modified bedrest which meant hang out on my couch watching A Baby Story through the holidays :)

Because of the shape of my uterus, DS1 remained breech so we scheduled a c/s. I had been expecting that all along so it was totally fine with me (plus my mom had two c/s so to me that's "normal"!). Anyway, we got all set up for the c/s and minutes before heading in I had one more u/s. DS had wiggled up into the other horn of my ute and was therefore head down! There was no longer a diagnosis for c/s so they induced me, expecting it to be only hours since I had been on bedrest for 8 weeks!

Long story short, he never dropped down and I stayed at 4cm. We later learned that the division in my ute made it impossible for it to push the baby downward because it couldn't full contract like it's supposed to. He was a c/s and I had a planned c/s with DS2 also (I went into labor 2 days before my scheduled c/s).

I had zero complications with DS2 and did not have the 32wk u/s with him.

It took us almost 2 years to conceive DS1 using OPKs and the CBEFM. We started trying for DS2 as soon as my period returned and conceived him on cycle 2. This LO was very much a surprise baby!

I've never had a miscarriage which I know is a risk with uterine anomalies.

Another weird thing, not at all a problem just weird. Because the baby hangs out on just one side of the body, a lot of times in late 3rd tri I would get lopsided. It wasn't really something people noticed unless I pointed it out and it was a lot more pronounced in the evenings when I was relaxing. I thought it was pretty funny :)

So I know that's super long. I hope you find it encouraging. I have 2 (and hopefully 3) very healthy, full term babies with relatively little complications. Feel free to email me anytime - mamajan0208 at gmail.com

Caleb.02.01.08 | Asher.07.06.09 | Jude.01.19.12
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Mama Jan's Kitchen... a food blog
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I was feeling so alone here as I do not have the GD or other issues that seem to prevail on this board.  This is a long...long story.  Sorry.

My first pregnancy was in 1995.  We discovered she was breech and attempted to turn her.  She flipped back and subsequently dropped her foot down.  Had it not been for one very insistent Captain, I would have attempted a vaginal delivery.
    After...AFTER I delivered via c-section, she came in and explained that I wasn't "shaped right".  Anterior placenta, cord was about 1 foot long and atrophied, ogliohydrosis ((lack of amniotic fluid)) and this was at 36 weeks.

It was not until 5 years later when we decided to try again...and again...and again.  I didn't understand.  Hubby did not either.  We underwent fertility testing.  Hormones are ok, sperm count great, put me on Parlodel and a sex schedule.  This went on for a year...meds, testing etc.  Finally they did the iodine check and ovaries were fine, but the shape of my uterus...not so much.  I would continue to get pregnant, but no pregnancy would "stick".  We accepted it and hoped for the best.  We averaged about 4 or so miscarriages a year...for almost 10 years.  I said "Babe, the day something BIG happens...like I get a school date to ANCOC or something...we will get pregnant"

Fast forward to 2010.  I quit smoking (yay) and went on BCP.  I was going to be deployed and wanted to minimize my cycles for hygiene reasons.  I took two pregnancy tests before I left...both negative (of course).  I landed in Afghanistan in Feb 2011.  I got a notification that I had a date to go to my school and I laughed because I needed to be cancelled as I was downrange.  I landed at my home station in March.  I was eight weeks pregnant.

I had read my medical records from when I delivered our first daughter and I was more aware of the issues.  I was put on Uterogest for low progesterone.  Bed rest and medication when I started having pain and cramps. CPP at 18 weeks ((which has finally resolved yay!)).  No exercise, no sex, no orgasm.  hubby and I got really creative ((lol)).  I got back to the US and immediately scheduled the appointments for OB.  The care I was getting at my home station was not up to par with the US as far as the communication.  Stateside, I can express everything and they get it. 

I have had two u/s since I have been in the states ((approx three weeks)).  I am already scheduled for another in 4 weeks to monitor her growth.  1st pregnancy I had two total.  Amy is breech and will more than likely remain that way.  She will come via c-sect like her sister did.  She is measuring a little small, but she is healthy and growing consistently.  Her sister was 6 lbs, 4.5 oz and 18.75 in long.  We don't see Amy being much different.  The doc was so sweet, she tried to be gentle and let us know that it was more than likely the only option.  We already knew.  No big deal to us, we know what to expect.  A healthy beautiful baby regardless of how she comes into the world. 

Who knew that having a horn ((I call it a banana)) shaped uterus could be so much trouble?
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • So We ARE high-risk if We have a bicornuate uterus?
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker    
  • imageNickaDee07:
    So We ARE high-risk if We have a bicornuate uterus?

My ob doesn't consider me high risk with a bicornuate uterus.  I also have GD and they don't consider me high risk.  I hang out on this board anyway  :)

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • My peri considers a bicornuate uterus as high risk. There is an increased risk of IUGR and preterm labor.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageDanielleD7:
    My peri considers a bicornuate uterus as high risk. There is an increased risk of IUGR and preterm labor.

I should clarify that my ob does watch for those things more closely but they don't send me to a high risk doctor / high risk hospital like they would with other high risk cases (triplets, for example).

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • imageMama Jan:

imageNickaDee07:
    So We ARE high-risk if We have a bicornuate uterus?

My ob doesn't consider me high risk with a bicornuate uterus.  I also have GD and they don't consider me high risk.  I hang out on this board anyway  :)

I am thinking that this depends on your docs school of thinking.  In my world, a non-high risk pregnancy only receives 2 u/s.   Military is pretty strict about specialty care.  To date I have received 10.  Kinda crazy, but I am not a common case according to my docs.  To have delivered ONE successfully was amazing to them.  Now that we have a second on the way...they are fascinated with me.

Due to the fact that (as DanielleD7 stated) the bicornuate uterus contributes to increased risk of IUGR and preterm labor as well as a plethora of other issues such as placenta previa and increased risk of breech (which normally results in a c-section), most practitioners will regard the pregnancy as high risk.  Because of this, I am increased for monitoring via u/s to watch for the IUGR, measuring of cervix and closer observation of contractions/dilation/effacement.  I do not get seen in the normal OB clinic, I go to the "COB" clinic (Complicated OB).  BTW, we also regard GD as high risk. 
    I think to get regarded as "high-risk" in the military, it really has to be a serious situation. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"