High-Risk Pregnancy

Glyburide

My OB's office called today. After reviewing my blood sugar log yesterday (I email it to them on Wednesday mornings), they decided they want to put me on 2.5mg of Glyburide. I was a little bummed but if it will help, I'm ok with it. They are mostly concerned about my afternoon numbers. What struck me as weird is, they are having me take it at bedtime. I am unsure how that will help my afternoon numbers but we'll see!
Wyatt 9/6/2011 
Tessa 7/5/2013
Baby #3- ????? (ttc soon)

Re: Glyburide

• I am on the same thing because of my afternoon and evening numbers, but the only thing is I'm taking mine in the morning which I don't know how that will help me throughout the day, but that will be a question I will ask my doctor next week.
  • Everything I've read says you take it in the morning, or you take it twice a day. I wonder why they are having me take it at bedtime. I will ask at my appointment tomorrow.
    Wyatt 9/6/2011 
    Tessa 7/5/2013

• Loading the player...
  • I also take 2.5 mg glyburide.  They initially told me to take it in the morning, but I was having problems with my fasting/breakfast numbers, so I switched to taking it at night and that seemed to take care of the problem.  If you take it like directed and it isn't working, I'd talk to you doctor about switching to taking it in morning.  It's all about making it work for you.

Good luck!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • At 33 weeks even my glyburide started to not work very well. I was become resistant to it, as I am also becoming insulin resistant to my insulin if that makes any sense. Like when I started Gly, I took it twice a day and everything was peachy. Towards the end of my pregnancy I was only taking it in the morning, could eat 2 servings of carb at b-fast and then MAYBE a snack, and that was it for the day. The pill would wear off around 3-4 hours. WHen I first started insulin it would last for about 5-6, now it seems to be around 3. So I can't see how taking it at night will last that long in your system, but it's always trial and error with these things as they won't act the same for you as they do for others. That's why I kinda hate docs that base your dosage on "Well I have a patient that...well normally..." yah well that's not me now is it. I know my body better than you and you should listen to me even though you have the medical degrees. Good luck to you with your Gly.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I guess the nurse who called me to tell me I was getting a script for it got the info a little wrong. They are more worried about my fasting number than my afternoon numbers.

So I've been taking it for a couple nights and wowsers, what a difference. I went from having numbers in the 90's to numbers in 60's and this morning it was 58! I woke up and got up to potty and was shaking and feeling really yucky. I was even panicky, even though I realized it was purely the low blood sugar.

I am wondering if I get up in the middle of the night to potty, if I have a light snack will that help my morning number not be so low and make me feel so yucky?

Wyatt 9/6/2011 
    Tessa 7/5/2013

• imageAmanda&EricB:

I guess the nurse who called me to tell me I was getting a script for it got the info a little wrong. They are more worried about my fasting number than my afternoon numbers.

So I've been taking it for a couple nights and wowsers, what a difference. I went from having numbers in the 90's to numbers in 60's and this morning it was 58! I woke up and got up to potty and was shaking and feeling really yucky. I was even panicky, even though I realized it was purely the low blood sugar.

I am wondering if I get up in the middle of the night to potty, if I have a light snack will that help my morning number not be so low and make me feel so yucky?

This was happening to me on glyburide at night, and it's so scary. One night it was 58 and another it was 34, and I was freaking at these hypoglycemic episodes.  They key in preventing these has been to have more carbs at bedtime!!

For me, I've been drinking a special K protein shake (cause food before bed makes me stay up all night), it has about 30 carbs and 10 proteins and the hypoglycemic episodes have stopped.

Hope that helps! You don't want to let your BS get that low! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"