Maryland Babies
Options

s/o pediatrician recs, how early?

How early are we 'supposed' to look for one? I'm glad jaybird requested some recs. I hadn't even thought to look for one!

L&M and jenbrian: I just called and scheduled a GTKY appt with Dr. Henning based off of your referrals!

Re: s/o pediatrician recs, how early?

• Options
    I started after 25 weeks. I wanted to be able to meet them and get a feel of office before I got to uncomfortable and before I got into 3rd tri.
    Hope (32), James (36), Sophee (1 year old), McKenzee (7 weeks) CafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers
  • Options
    I'm trying to remember when we started to interview some pedi. I want to say I was in my 3rd Trimester. Probably around 28-30 weeks. I remember at my 31 week appt my doctor asking me if we had a pediatrician picked out. And we had at the time!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Well, we went with PP after a bad experience somewhere else with SD (that dr is no longer in practice in the area). I got tons of recs for PP for Drs Seymore and Lamonico but they weren't accepting new patients. Dr Henning hadn't been there too long at that point. After we met her we loved her and stuck around.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I'm meeting with my first pedi on Wednesday and I'll be 35 weeks.  I don't plan on interviewing anyone else if we like this doc.  I did start stalking threads on here where people asked for recommendations almost as soon as I found out I was pregnant.
    bumping from my phone. please pardon any typos and missing punctuation
  • Options

My husband and I's Primary Care Physician's specialty is "Family Medicine" so we decided to have DD see her rather than find a seperate pediatrician.

I really like that our entire family sees the same doctor.  She sees my parents, my sister and her kids too, the two youngest of which she has seen since birth.  Right after I had DD she gave my DH her personal cell phone number and told him all the signs of post-partum depression.  She told him that if he had any concerns call her on her personal cell any time.

Good Luck finding a doctor!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

imageLisa and Mickey:
    Well, we went with PP after a bad experience somewhere else with SD (that dr is no longer in practice in the area). I got tons of recs for PP for Drs Seymore and Lamonico but they weren't accepting new patients. Dr Henning hadn't been there too long at that point. After we met her we loved her and stuck around.

I'm also with PP.  I met with Dr. Lomonico after a rec and absolutely loved him.  He's been great so far and deals with my FTM crazy anxiety beautifully.  We had been having problems with Anderson spitting up a lot and crying for hours.  I called the office and Dr. Lomonico was able to see us the same day.  I feel really good about the care A is getting.

• Options

I think this whole "interview" pediatricians is sort of Bump phenomenon.  If you have really specific parenting ideas/philosophy before you even have your kid, it probably makes sense to check that your philosophies coalesce mostly w/ the ped, but you should be able to get alot of that information from the doctor's website or material they send you.

I picked out a few peds that sounded good based on recs from here, location and insurance coverage.  We went to a New Parent Orienation meeting at ~35 weeks and they went over office hours, vaccination schedules and philosphy, what to expect w/ newborns/when to call, what to have at home, what to expect when the do the hospital well visit/check.  I liked the nurses and doctors who spoke so that was pretty much it for me.

If I'd been unhappy w/ some aspect of DD's care after she was born, I probably would have had a better idea of what I was looking for and I could see "interviewing" doctors then or at least having specific concerns or questions.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageKathrynMD:

I think this whole "interview" pediatricians is sort of Bump phenomenon.  If you have really specific parenting ideas/philosophy before you even have your kid, it probably makes sense to check that your philosophies coalesce mostly w/ the ped, but you should be able to get alot of that information from the doctor's website or material they send you.

I picked out a few peds that sounded good based on recs from here, location and insurance coverage.  We went to a New Parent Orienation meeting at ~35 weeks and they went over office hours, vaccination schedules and philosphy, what to expect w/ newborns/when to call, what to have at home, what to expect when the do the hospital well visit/check.  I liked the nurses and doctors who spoke so that was pretty much it for me.

If I'd been unhappy w/ some aspect of DD's care after she was born, I probably would have had a better idea of what I was looking for and I could see "interviewing" doctors then or at least having specific concerns or questions.

Yes  ITA. We chose ours in a similar manner somewhere in my 3rd tri.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageKathrynMD:

I think this whole "interview" pediatricians is sort of Bump phenomenon. 

Hmm-I never really thought of it that way.  I just thought it was more of a first time anxious mom thing since most of my mama friends IRL did the same.

Oh and we interviewed DD's pedi when I was around 30ish weeks I think.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers image
  • Options

My practice has an interview day, a couple times a month, where you go with a group of other new moms and sit down with one of the doctors, they talk about the practice, their beliefs and stances on things such as vaccines/autism, they pass out a bunch of information in a little folder, and you can ask any questions you want-- about the practice, about making appointments, about baby care, anything.  (box hill pediatrics in abingdon)

ETA: I went in the middle of my third tri because I'm a procrastinator

• Options

Ditto Kathryn and Mrs.Remy.

I missed all of the meet & greet's and ended up getting a special interview. I found out at a 34wk appointment that there  was the potential that I *could* be induced. At week 35, I was going to definitely be induced. I was 35.5 weeks when I got my pedi set up Embarrassed To be fair though, I was pregnant over xmas and ended up giving birth in January...

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    If I were doing it over again, I'd probably start looking towards the end of 2nd tri. I sort of forgot about finding a pedi, until I was pre-registering at the hospital at like 36/37 weeks. lol Luckily I really, really liked the first pedi interview I went on. So much so, that I canceled the other interview I had.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"