Attachment Parenting

Question for super-pro-vaxing folks...

I've seen the temps rise in posts that have to do with vaxxing. I know some people on here feel very passionately about on-schedule full vaccinating. So, this question is for those people.

How do you feel about the flu shot and does it fall under your "you're putting the rest of the kids around you at risk" argument to not get it? If so, why?

I just got a postcard from my health insurance company advising me that their records indicate my child isn't fully vaxxed. I know for a fact that the only shot DD is missing right now is the flu shot. I'm kind of annoyed at the "scare tactic" wording on this post card and the fact that in the corner of it is a big stamp saying the mailing was sponsored by a pharmaceutical company...

Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Question for super-pro-vaxing folks...

• I would be annoyed that the health insurance company provided the pharma company with my child's info.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imageHarper'smom:
    I would be annoyed that the health insurance company provided the pharma company with my child's info.
    This. Isn't that a HIPPA violation? The sharing of what medical care my child has or has not received? or because it is vac related it is a public health issue?
    ~Lisa~
    Mommy to Rachel 1.15.06 and Ashley 5.17.11
    Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
  • Loading the player...
  • I read it as the mailer came from the insurance company themselves, but had clearly been sponsored/paid for by the pharmaceutical company. Not that the insurance company gave their information to the company.

Anyway, I am very pro-vax, and I don't consider the flu shot to be one of "THE" vaccinations. I also don't consider the chicken pox vax to be critical, and I'm on the fence about Hep B (I don't do it as an infant, but I do still do it eventually). I'm also fairly certain no daughter of mine will be getting the HPV shot, at least not for many, many years.

My concerns lie with the big, dangerous diseases - polio, MMR, pertussis, etc. I realize that the flu and chicken pox can be dangerous for some children, but I still consider them in the realm of normal childhood sicknesses that we all dealt/deal with.

I'm interested in the health of my child, but also the health of my future children who will be too young for vaccinations at birth, and also the health of our society's herd immunity.

• imageThe_Spanish_Inquisition:

I read it as the mailer came from the insurance company themselves, but had clearly been sponsored/paid for by the pharmaceutical company. Not that the insurance company gave their information to the company.

Anyway, I am very pro-vax, and I don't consider the flu shot to be one of "THE" vaccinations. I also don't consider the chicken pox vax to be critical, and I'm on the fence about Hep B (I don't do it as an infant, but I do still do it eventually). I'm also fairly certain no daughter of mine will be getting the HPV shot, at least not for many, many years.

My concerns lie with the big, dangerous diseases - polio, MMR, pertussis, etc. I realize that the flu and chicken pox can be dangerous for some children, but I still consider them in the realm of normal childhood sicknesses that we all dealt/deal with.

I'm interested in the health of my child, but also the health of my future children who will be too young for vaccinations at birth, and also the health of our society's herd immunity.

I couldn't have said this better.

It's also possible that somehow the records got messed up being reported to the insurance for billing and they think a shot was missed.

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
      Francesca Pearl is here!             Josephine Hope is almost 3!
  • I'm pro vaccination for the big ones like pp said: MMR, polio etc.

I'm on the fence about the flu shot in general, and had no intention of getting it done for LO. Then she had a stay in hospital with pneumonia. We discussed it with the pedi and decided we really didn't want her to get hard with another virus this winter if it could be avoided.

But I don't intend to get her the flu jab every year, if she generally seems to be well.

Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• I am a "super-pro-vaxing" person, but I don't think the flu shot is that big a deal.  I got it for DS at 6 months because I wasn't breastfeeding and it was the middle of flu season.  I don't think skipping the flu shot has the same impact as skipping, for instance, the measles shot.  I know the flu can be dangerous but it doesn't wipe out civilizations.
    Photobucket

Bar tab = $156,000, Bus to Foxwoods = $0, Puking in the Stanley Cup = Priceless

• I've gotten one of those about the chicken pox vax that we're putting off until she goes to school. I did give her the flu shot last year, if I recall, but probably will not do so this year. I gave it to my DS too, b/c he was at school and bringing home all sorts of cooties. This year, I'll probably not give him one either. The flu sucks, yes. Children sometimes die from it, yes (though typically, they're immuno-compromised if this is the case). But half the time, the vax doesn't even protect against the strain that's going around and you wind up with the flu anyway, So why bother, IMO.
  • That's kind of 2 things - are you irritated at the post card or are you purposely not getting your kid's flu shot? 

Mine gets his flu shot just like we do.  Not because I don't want to put others at risk, but because if we can avoid the flu, I would like to thankyouverymuch. 

• imageSeaMama:

That's kind of 2 things - are you irritated at the post card or are you purposely not getting your kid's flu shot? 

We purposely don't get flu shots. DH and I never have, and now we've chosen not to get them for DD. I'm annoyed that the wording in the post card makes it sound like my DD is a walking public health risk. So I wanted to get the opinions on this board about whether she really is and I'm just too laid back or whether it's not so far-fetched to think that the pharmaceutical company benefitting from flu shots had an economic interest in sending out this kind of notice.

• steverstever member
    That would annoy me. Like PP's I am very pro-vax but put the flu shot into another category. I SAH and DH works from home so we wouldn't even consider flu shots until DS started school if I didn't have MS and would be incapacitated by a fever.
  • imageKateLouise:

I'm pro vaccination for the big ones like pp said: MMR, polio etc.

I'm on the fence about the flu shot in general, and had no intention of getting it done for LO. Then she had a stay in hospital with pneumonia. We discussed it with the pedi and decided we really didn't want her to get hard with another virus this winter if it could be avoided.

But I don't intend to get her the flu jab every year, if she generally seems to be well.

This. 

Married to my best friend 6/5/10
    BFP #1 9/7/10, EDD 5/14/11, Violet born 5/27/11.
    BFP #2 4/9/12, EDD 12/16/12, M/C Rory 4/24/12.
    BFP #3 10/6/12, EDD 6/16/12., Matilda born 6/17/13.
  • I didn't answer the question earlier. I am pro-vax and get shots done on schedule, but I have never gotten DD1 the flu shot and I have not gotten it in years. We are fairly "high risk" for flu also, being that DD1 went to daycare and public school AND I teach 1st grade - so we are around germs galore! But we have all avoided the flu thus far.

I am in the fence with DD2. If she is still BFing this winter (and I assume she will be) I will likely skip flu shot, but if she is not BFing then I may have her get it. Not sure yet.

That said, flu shots are NOT in the same relm as other vaxs. Not even close.
    ~Lisa~
    Mommy to Rachel 1.15.06 and Ashley 5.17.11
    Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
  • Well, honestly it doesn't make sense to say that someone isn't up to date if all they are missing was a flu shot since it is NOT flu season and we are not offering flu shots right now.... my guess is they think she's missing something else.

As to shots, I think the  flu shot is important, the odds of me bringing flu home to my DD and DH is better than catching polio.... statistically speaking, so I don't see why I shouldn't protect her and myself and therefore everyone I come in contact with. 

5/08- blighted ovum, spont ab; 2/20/09- epi, VAVD, Girl! breastfed 24mo; 10/10- blighted ovum, spon ab; 12/10- no fetal pole, Cytotec; 11/20/11- unmedicated SVD, Girl! breastfed 18mo; 11/7/13- unmedicated SVD, breastfed 18mo; 2/11/16- unmedicated SVD, exclusively pumping to at least a year.

• We have done all vaxs on schedule except the Flu.  C wasn't able to get the flu shout until March (due to age and then illness).  The shot can take up to 4 weeks to become fully effective, so I felt by then we were out of the flu season.  I did however make my husband, sitter, and mother (all of C's caregivers) get flu shots in October.  The funny thing is, I was so overwhelmed with a new baby that I myself did not get one (however, we never left the house anyways).

I still don't know what we'll do this year.  C has asthma, so that leads me to think we should get the flu vax.  On the other hand as PP mentioned, the flu is always mutating and the vax is not fully effective.  My Dh actually was more sick this past winter than he has ever been, and it was his first year getting the flu vax.  I feel like I've heard too many times of people actually coming down with the flu the one year they got the flu shot.

I do think we'll pass on the chx pox vax.  Both my nephews had the vax and both contracted chx pox (and then shared it with me the day before I started graduate school, it was my 3rd time having it!).  I'm just not sure we've perfected this vax enough for me to feel comfortable giving it.

All that said, C is mainly at home and will only be in  mornings childcare program 2 days a week this winter.  I'll probablly start talking with his pedi about these vaxs at his 12 month.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I am pro-vaxing, for the most part.  My child (or future children) will not be getting the chicken pox vax, hpv vax, or flu shot.   

In regards to the flu shot in particular, I have a cousin who is very pro-modern medicine.  She is in the process of becoming a Nurse Practitioner, and you can bet that if any new medical treatment or medicine has been released that could in any way shape or form benefit her children they have had it.  When she went through whatever course that covered the flu shot, she went on this big campaign in my family to convince everyone not to get it.  She explained everything in medical terms that went way over my head, but what it boils down to is that since the flu shot ?strand? changes every year, the vax has not been tested at all before they put it in everyone.  (The strand itself may not cause a problem but since there are other ingredients in a vax, it could very well be dangerous).  

Honestly, her being against it was enough of a reason for me, like I said she is very pro-medicine in every other way.

• imageThe_Spanish_Inquisition:

I read it as the mailer came from the insurance company themselves, but had clearly been sponsored/paid for by the pharmaceutical company. Not that the insurance company gave their information to the company.

This almost exactly.  No one in my family will ever be delayed for any important vaccinations.  We do get the flu shot as well.  I find it scary that people even delay vaccines at all.  It's just a crazy fear that is not based on fact at all. 

I highly doubt your insurance company provided a pharma company with your daughter's medical info.  They are likely letting you know that not vaxing your child completely is a public health issue, and it could possibly cause future illness. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagelaurakaz13:

This almost exactly.  No one in my family will ever be delayed for any important vaccinations.  We do get the flu shot as well.  I find it scary that people even delay vaccines at all.  It's just a crazy fear that is not based on fact at all. 

I highly doubt your insurance company provided a pharma company with your daughter's medical info.  They are likely letting you know that not vaxing your child completely is a public health issue, and it could possibly cause future illness. 

The mailing did come directly from the insurance company, but was paid for by the pharma company (which makes it all seem very dubious, sorry if that's not a "fact-based" fear). And yes, they made it very clear that it's a public health issue, which is why I am here. I know tons of people who got the flu last winter who HAD gotten the flu shot. I didn't come anywhere near them while they had the flu and I would expect people to keep their distance if DD had the flu herself. But I don't put not having the flu shot in the same "keep your distance' category, which is why I posted my question. I sincerely want to understand.

And, FWIW, I'm not really here to start a vaxxing debate, but there are some very real, concrete reasons that make sense to delay/space out vaccines that are actually fact-based, such as severe reactions and allergies.

• imageJAnalynn3767:

I am pro-vaxing, for the most part.  My child (or future children) will not be getting the chicken pox vax, hpv vax, or flu shot.   

In regards to the flu shot in particular, I have a cousin who is very pro-modern medicine.  She is in the process of becoming a Nurse Practitioner, and you can bet that if any new medical treatment or medicine has been released that could in any way shape or form benefit her children they have had it.  When she went through whatever course that covered the flu shot, she went on this big campaign in my family to convince everyone not to get it.  She explained everything in medical terms that went way over my head, but what it boils down to is that since the flu shot ?strand? changes every year, the vax has not been tested at all before they put it in everyone.  (The strand itself may not cause a problem but since there are other ingredients in a vax, it could very well be dangerous).  

Honestly, her being against it was enough of a reason for me, like I said she is very pro-medicine in every other way.

Sorry, but she doesn't know what she's talking about. The flu vaccine goes through rigorous testing, regardless of the fact that the inactivated viruses themselves change most years.
  • imageToledoDeux:
    imageJAnalynn3767:

I am pro-vaxing, for the most part.  My child (or future children) will not be getting the chicken pox vax, hpv vax, or flu shot.   

Sorry, but she doesn't know what she's talking about. The flu vaccine goes through rigorous testing, regardless of the fact that the inactivated viruses themselves change most years.

This. The strain changes each year, the ingredients and manufacturing don't change (info I got from Dr. Sears website). It is not a whole new vaccine every year.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I am very pro-vax, but I'm not going to get too upset if people skip their flu shots. I still think it's dumb to skip them, but whatevs...if you want the flu or want your kid to have the flu you have issues.

I am one of those people who always gets the flu if I don't get the shot. When I was young, single and dumb as hell, I rarely remembered to get my flu shot. Then, when I was shaking with cold sweats, so tired I could barely walk with a runny nose that won't quit, I'd be kicking myself in the ass for not going and getting a $5 shot. 

Why anyone would risk their kid getting sick like that if they don't have to is beyond me. 

• I see the flu shot as one that's not required. The flu can make you sick and miserable for a couple weeks, but the chance that it will kill you is extremely low. I get the flu shot because I have asthma. Both DDs have gotten it, and DH has too since it's free through his work. Especially with the H1N1 outbreak, I feel better knowing our whole family is protected.
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • imagelaurakaz13:

Be careful about "never".  I said the same thing, but we have had to delay MMR and Varicella for medical reasons.  There are real, medically accepted reasons to delay or avoid some vaccinations, and not all of us are basing the decision on crazy fears and no facts.

• imageerinkate23:
    imagelaurakaz13:

Be careful about "never".  I said the same thing, but we have had to delay MMR and Varicella for medical reasons.  There are real, medically accepted reasons to delay or avoid some vaccinations, and not all of us are basing the decision on crazy fears and no facts.

I don't think anyone doubts that there are very real medical reasons for some children and adults to not be vaccinated. Those reasons are why it's all the more important for the rest of us, who have no adverse reactions to vaccines, to get vaccinated. I totally get why one would delay in your case.

It's the people who say "oh, I just don't want all those chemicals injected into my child!" or the conspiracy theorists who just think that vaccinations are an evil money-making plot by the pharmaceutical companies--those are the crazy fears and no facts people. 

• I'm very pro-vaxing, but the flu shot isn't mandatory, and I don't bat an eye at people who don't want it.

I get it every year, and DD will be getting it as well, because I am a pediatric nurse and work with sick children every day. I'm exposed to all kinds of things and even though I wash my hands thoroughly before touching LO and change my clothes before leaving work, I'm sure DD will be exposed to more things than your average child, so if I can spare her the misery of the flu, I will.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Picture114b Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I guess my thinking is that if you get the flu, you stay home and don't spread it. You're the only one suffering. Other vax, however, are usually for horrible illnesses whose consequences range from the iron lung to paralysis or death (not all, admittedly). I guess that's why I raised my eyebrows when the pedi told me there's a chicken pox vax now. I guess I consider the flu and CP to be "discomfort" illnesses rather than life threatening diseases. Disclaimer: I realize that some flu cases have been severe, even fatal but that's the exception, not the rule. I'd be far more worried if there was a TB outbreak at LO's school than flu or C Pox.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers ***This space reserved for photo of new squish***
  • imagebh2720:
    imageerinkate23:
    imagelaurakaz13:

I don't think anyone doubts that there are very real medical reasons for some children and adults to not be vaccinated. Those reasons are why it's all the more important for the rest of us, who have no adverse reactions to vaccines, to get vaccinated. I totally get why one would delay in your case.

It's the people who say "oh, I just don't want all those chemicals injected into my child!" or the conspiracy theorists who just think that vaccinations are an evil money-making plot by the pharmaceutical companies--those are the crazy fears and no facts people. 

Bingo!  This is why it kills me that people just do not seem to understand what herd immunity is.  It's sad and scary. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"