Adoption

Adoption classes? Helpful? Anyone take online ones?

So we're starting our homestudy, and discovered the agency offers two types of attorney assisted homestudies. There is a large price difference between them, and when I asked the only thing different is the more expensive one includes adoption classes. We opted to do the cheaper one, but the agency rep got a little miffed and reminded me that parenting an adopted child is not always simple, and encouraged me to find some classes. She said if nothing else to do the free PRIDE classes in our county.

Of course, we want to be the best adoptive parents we can be, want to be well-informed, etc...I just couldn't justify that huge extra cost! How helpful/ necessary are the classes (PRIDE or other)? Would you recommend us seeking this out? Or were books equally/ more helpful?

There are no more PRIDE classes offered in our county for the rest of 2011, and our area does not have any agencies locally. I did find online adoption courses for about $120...anyone use these? Not sure if they would be any good, but that is awfully convenient :)

We are adopting! Currently waiting for our domestic infant adoption match.

My blog: Making Me Mom

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

Re: Adoption classes? Helpful? Anyone take online ones?

• Honestly, the classes just sound like a moneymaker for your agency.

The PRIDE classes are definitely geared toward parenting a hurting child (emotionally, physically or sexually) or older children.  If you're planning on starting out with a newborn, you'll have some learning curve there and by the time you face adoption issues, it will probably be years.

There are lots of really great adoption parenting books out there and I just can't see how taking an agency class (where you will likely forget the information before you get to use it) will be so much more helpful to you.  I think arming yourself with books that you can reference whenever you need them, taking regular parenting course (Love and Logic is awesome) and signing up for an adoption support group will provide you a great toolbox for parenting your child.  Sometimes the post-adoption connection in your county/area will offer support groups and many churches do as well.  You can also check meetup.com for then.  I wouldn't feel guilty about not spending the extra $ on an agency-sponsored parenting class at this point.

Good luck!

• imageMamaB2009:

Honestly, the classes just sound like a moneymaker for your agency.

The PRIDE classes are definitely geared toward parenting a hurting child (emotionally, physically or sexually) or older children.  If you're planning on starting out with a newborn, you'll have some learning curve there and by the time you face adoption issues, it will probably be years.

There are lots of really great adoption parenting books out there and I just can't see how taking an agency class (where you will likely forget the information before you get to use it) will be so much more helpful to you.  I think arming yourself with books that you can reference whenever you need them, taking regular parenting course (Love and Logic is awesome) and signing up for an adoption support group will provide you a great toolbox for parenting your child.  Sometimes the post-adoption connection in your county/area will offer support groups and many churches do as well.  You can also check meetup.com for then.  I wouldn't feel guilty about not spending the extra $ on an agency-sponsored parenting class at this point.

Good luck!

Thank you! Those are awesome suggestions, and a great point about having time to learn with a newborn.

• Loading the player...
  • imageMamaB2009:

Honestly, the classes just sound like a moneymaker for your agency.

Good luck!

Couldn't agree more.

There are great resources available and just because you don't take ONE class from your agency doesn't mean anything about you as a person or an AP.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Moved to Domestic Adoption 9/09 Matched 10/09 Sweet little Luke was born 12/9/09!
  • We've had to do training as part of our homestudy.    Most were offered free by our agency.  The only one I have paid for has been the 3 hour carseat training that is required to be licensed in the states we are working in (live in WI and agency is in MN).     We had a 2 day adoption training at our agency that was AMAZING....  I was so glad we went to be among other people in the same situation and to hear about a lot of things we may need to know as we enter into this new life of ours.    We will be doing multicultural parenting class as well and I think it will be very helpful because we are completely open to race.

Experienced infertility during first marriage, diagnosed with PCOS in 2008.
    Married my amazing husband May 22, 2010
    Became Step-Mom to 2 boys.
    Husband had vasectomy in 2004 during first marriage.

Adoption Is Our Path!
    Application sent March 29, 2011 First Meeting with CW: April 25, 2011 Final Visit and home visit: August 16, 2011
    September, 2011 - told we are ready to be considered by birth parents. Officially WAITING!

Spring of 2012, we start to work with a Consultant and apply with a few agencies around the US

June 2012 - we are MATCHED
    July 25, 2012 - Our SON was born in Arizona
    August 8th, 2012 - we flew home with our baby
    Awaiting Finalization

My Blog
  • Oh, I will add that a lot of what we are doing is geared towards parenting a hurting child from the foster system... we have to do these because in the state of Wisconsin you must be licensed foster parents in order to do an infant adoption.

So although some of it seems "useless" for us when we are adopting an infant, I do see the value in a lot of it for general parenting.     Maybe I'm weird :-)

Experienced infertility during first marriage, diagnosed with PCOS in 2008.
    Married my amazing husband May 22, 2010
    Became Step-Mom to 2 boys.
    Husband had vasectomy in 2004 during first marriage.

Adoption Is Our Path!
    Application sent March 29, 2011 First Meeting with CW: April 25, 2011 Final Visit and home visit: August 16, 2011
    September, 2011 - told we are ready to be considered by birth parents. Officially WAITING!

Spring of 2012, we start to work with a Consultant and apply with a few agencies around the US

June 2012 - we are MATCHED
    July 25, 2012 - Our SON was born in Arizona
    August 8th, 2012 - we flew home with our baby
    Awaiting Finalization

My Blog
  • Vista Del Mar in West LA offers several classes at reasonble (or free) fees.  They are structured for their clients but make everyone feel warm. 

We recently took a Saturday AM class on TransRacial adoption. If you think you might be matched transracially, I highly suggest this class.  I think it starts at 10is and is done by 1 so you could easily drive down early in the AM for it. (this particular class is offered every quarter or so.)

Vista also offers a monthly support meeting that is different... I can expand if you'd like.  If you are ever able to come to it to experience it, DO!  It really helps you see a different side of adoption (includes all parties of the adoption triad). 

Here's contact info for Vista

Community of Services Program Director
    JBoyer@VistaDelMar.org
    310-836-1223, ext. 288

PS-  if you come down to a class, lunch would be on us!! We'd love to meet and introduce you to Mary Jane!

image Best friends and sisters... 24 months and 16 months
  • One last thought---

I highly recommend a few counseling sessions with a professional that understands adoption.  We were required to do this and it was great.  It helped us both have deeper conversations about parenting. 

image Best friends and sisters... 24 months and 16 months
  • imagesilliestbunny:

One last thought---

I highly recommend a few counseling sessions with a professional that understands adoption.  We were required to do this and it was great.  It helped us both have deeper conversations about parenting. 

I second this! We were lucky and our SW is also the premiere adoption counselor in our state- so in addition to our HS we did a few sessions with her mainly focused being an adoptive parent (I had a few issues with not being E's only mother, etc). She also hooked us up to an adoption play group/support group and walked us through how to introduce adoption in the early years. When E is about 6 we'll take her class on helping children cope with being adopted/telling your children.
  • imagesilliestbunny:

Vista Del Mar in West LA offers several classes at reasonble (or free) fees.  They are structured for their clients but make everyone feel warm. 

We recently took a Saturday AM class on TransRacial adoption. If you think you might be matched transracially, I highly suggest this class.  I think it starts at 10is and is done by 1 so you could easily drive down early in the AM for it. (this particular class is offered every quarter or so.)

Vista also offers a monthly support meeting that is different... I can expand if you'd like.  If you are ever able to come to it to experience it, DO!  It really helps you see a different side of adoption (includes all parties of the adoption triad). 

Here's contact info for Vista

Community of Services Program Director
    JBoyer@VistaDelMar.org
    310-836-1223, ext. 288

PS-  if you come down to a class, lunch would be on us!! We'd love to meet and introduce you to Mary Jane!

You are so sweet!! I remembered you mentioning Vista and did see some great classes on their website. I will have to take you up on that lunch offer sometime soon :)

• Thank you SO much for all of the helpful suggestions! It makes me feel better about saying "no" to the agency classes but still able to be proactive about networking and utilizing other resources. I love this board :)

• I am incredibly grateful for our classes and don't think you should be allowed to adopt without taking some. I learned so much and still consult the materials.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"