Health & Exercise

When To Tell Your Personal Trainer Your Pregnant

I have been working with a personal trainer for almost a year now. I am also a Zumba Instructor. I am very early in my pregnancy, 5 weeks. I do not have my first doctor appointment until 8 weeks. I spoke with my doctor on the phone, who assured me that if I am having no complications, working out and teaching Zumba is okay - to continue as I was doing before I got pregnant. She told me to monitor my heart rate and body temperate and to make sure that I am not ever short of breath.

With that said, we do not plan to tell anyone about our pregnancy until about 10 weeks. Do I tell my personal trainer that I am pregnant? Though her and I are very close, I did not want her being the first to know I was pregnant. But is it more important to tell her to be safe? Advise me please! :)

Re: When To Tell Your Personal Trainer Your Pregnant

• I told mine as soon as I knew.  I didn't have any problem with him being the first to know as I wanted to be safe.

Unfortunately, that pregnancy ended in an early m/c at 7 weeks so I had to untell him only a couple of weeks later.  It sucked for my emotions, but I just texted him, he texted back that he was so sorry, and that was pretty much it.  He was very understanding in the following days and got why I had to take a short break around that time to recover.

Happily, a month and a half later, I was pregnant again and this time it stuck.  I told him again and we worked together to adjust my workouts as necessary.  I was very nauseous and physically weak and tired so adjustments were needed.

He knew we were keeping it a secret until 10+ weeks and it wasn't a problem.  IMO, it's worth it to tell your trainer.  Congrats and GL!

natural m/c 7.1.10 :|: sticky baby 4.25.11 :|: #2 due 5.18.13 BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would think it would be wise to tell him/her immediately so that they know not to have you do certain things/can watch out for you in case you show any sign of distress, etc.  I would say something but maybe follow it with, we are not telling the masses and would appreciate your discretion.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Immediately!!!  Your PT needs to know to be able to adjust your routine, if need be, and to help you recognize signs telling you to slow down, or stop.  Plus, your PT may want you to sign a liability waiver, if you haven't done so already.  As an instructor yourself, put yourself in your trainers shoes professionally...your trainer isn't going to tell your secret, promise. Wink

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket image
  • I think if you want to wait until 10 weeks, you're fine. During the first trimester, you want to monitor your heart rate like your doc said. As your pregnancy progresses, you'll be more likely to injure yourself if you do too much. I lifted moderate to heavy weight on some body parts like shoulders and arms during my pregnancy, but cut down on legs and back (anything that required a lot of core). That being said, when you've told your loved ones about your pregnancy, go ahead and tell you trainer. I just wouldn't go past the 10 week mark. Congrats!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I told mine at about 6-7 weeks...right after I had my first doctor appointment. She also trains my Dad so I was a little bit nervous that he would find out, but I trusted her and all was fine. I felt it was better for her to know than not.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Ladies, I sincerely appreciate your replies. Thank you for taking the time to write. What great advice. After speaking it over with my husband, I am going to tell her next week - that way, I'm safe and she can cater to my pregnancy needs! Best wishes, prayers, and love to all of you and your families. Thank you :)
  • I am a Personal Trainer and also teach group ex.  I want to know immediately when anything with my clients/students changes. I cannot help them/keep them safe, if I do not know what is going on.

You really owe it to your PT to let them know when something in your health profile changes.  They should not mention it to anyone as it is private and part of your profile. And you are telling her for a medical reason, not to announce your pregnancy.

GL! 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Me (33) DH (32) WFHM * Coffee & Beach Addict *Running is my Paxil*
  • I told my training partner the day I found out - and won at Nationals the following Saturday...  Read up on the ACOG statement about high level athletes..  Basically, listen to YOUR body, and train accordingly.  There have been instructors at one of the gyms I train at that were teaching classes up to the day they delivered..   Make the adjustments you need to make, but don't hold yourself back because of other people's fears.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"