Postpartum Depression
Options

I'm new here and not sure what to think

So my son just turned 3 months old and I am starting to have some increased anxiety and even some OCD issues.  I have many of the basic symptoms of PPD per Dr.Google, but I am puzzled by the fact that the issues have taken 3 months to start.  I did have a piece of placenta left over from the delivery, that was not caught until about 2.5 weeks ago and I had a D&C to remove it.  I don't know if that has anything to do with the late timing.  Or if it is just that I am getting closer to returning to work, or what.  I just feel like it is so weird to be starting up so late. But I feel like it gets a little worse each day.  And if it is PPD, I am worried about meds, as I have never taken any meds for anything like this before.

Guess I just needed to sound off on here.  Any thoughts or advice are greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

BFP #1 2/10/10: No HB on 4/29/10 at 15 wk, D&C 4/30/10, Baby measured 11-12 wks. First Pregnancy and first loss. BFP #2 7/25/10: Blake Daniel arrived 3/25/11 BFP #3 3/9/12: Our Turkey Baby! Due Date: 11/19/12 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

Re: I'm new here and not sure what to think

• Options
    CD+ALCD+AL member

My understanding (and I'm not an expert) is that it does take time for PPD to show up in some women.  Every woman and every pg is different, so you really need to run this by your doctor.  After my first pg, I didn't need meds, but I really needed them (still do actually) after my 2nd pg 13mos ago.  They really made such a difference for me.  I was very hesitant to go on them, but I'm a better mom and wife b/c they help me so much.  Seriously, talk to your dr, especially if you feel like it's getting worse each day. 

ETA: Also, keep in mind that even if your dr does recommend meds, it will be up to you to decide after talking to him/her whether or not you want to take them.  Just because you have the prescription doesn't mean that you have to fill it, but you will have more information and a professional insight into your specific circumstances.  I can't stress enough that you really should call your dr.  

• Options

Is it possible that maybe the symptoms have been developing gradually and you are just now noticing them?  I know that's how it was for me.  I see from your siggy that you have pregnancy loss in your past, and I do too.  That was a huge catalyst for my PPD/anxiety.  

I had a missed m/c and then TTC for almost a year before conceiving DS.  I didn't realize that I hadn't fully healed from my loss, even though I was in therapy for depression during much of my TTC and up to 4 months pg.  Then when I was 18 or so weeks pg with DD, I finally realized that I was seriously depressed and needed help again.  I had been having full-blown anxiety attacks and I really hadn't bonded with DS that much at all.  But before the anxiety attacks started, I just felt like I was in a "funk".  It took the anxiety attacks starting to make me realize that it was beyond my control.  

I fought taking medication for a long time because I was pregnant and I couldn't bear the thought of worrying about DD having birth defects or dying because of the medicine.  I am finally going to get a consult for medication in a few weeks.  I would have gone much sooner if I could, but my therapist's office is terrible with things like this and it's taken a long time.  Also, I wanted to be done BFing before I got on anything.  Big hugs girl, I know this sucks. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    see your doctor for sure. call your ob/gyn or your family doctor. You know you better than anyone does. So, if you feel it's getting worse each day, don't wait. I waited until i absolutely had no doubt that i was "off" in some way. thank goodness i called my doctor, it made such a difference. I've been off of zoloft about 2 years now, our daughter is 4 yrs. old and i am pregnant now , due oct. 2011. If the symptoms happen again, I will be much more aware of what to lookd out for (i hope)...just call someone. the issue of PPD is much more common than people talk about. it REALLY is. I have discovered other women that I had no idea had it and it helps to talk. ..good luck
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"