March 2011 Moms
Options

4 mo appt - 100 percentile! and iron?

DD's 4 month appt was today and it went pretty well! She is 19.1 lbs and 26.5 inches - so 100% for both height and weight. She is EBF, so she's not overfed, just a big baby! Dr wasn't concerned and said there's no reason to start solids until 6 months, which is good - I don't want to start solids yet.

He wasn't worried about the flat spot on her head that I've been stressing over. (whew!)

She did okay with the shots. Screamed at first, but stopped as soon as I picked her up.

Dr did mention that we should probably switch from D-drops to tri-vi-sol (or the poly, which ever one has iron) since DD may need more iron. Blegh I've only heard bad things about tri and poly-vi-sol.... Anyone else's dr recommend iron?

DD born March 2011
DS born Dec 10, 2013

Re: 4 mo appt - 100 percentile! and iron?

• Options

We started Poly-vi-sol with iron after her 4 month appointment. What type of bad things did you hear about tri and poly-vi-sol?

~erin~

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

You need to read this: https://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/iron.html  Seriously, read it.  You're already questioning your doctor's decision (and rightly so). 

Here's just an excerpt from the article:

Which babies are more at risk for iron-deficiency anemia?

• Babies who were born prematurely, since babies get the majority of their iron stores from their mother during the last trimester of pregnancy.
    • In addition, there is evidence that babies whose birth weights are less than 3000 grams - about 6.5 pounds - (whether term or premature) tend to have reduced iron stores at birth and appear to need additional iron earlier.
    • Babies born to mothers with poorly controlled diabetes.
    • Theoretically, babies born to mothers who were anemic during pregnancy could have lower iron stores, however medical studies do not show this to be a problem. Babies born to mothers who are anemic during pregnancy are no more likely to be iron deficient than those born to mothers who are not anemic during pregnancy.
    • Babies who are fed cow's milk (instead of breastmilk or iron-fortified formula) during the first year of life.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I EBF (and was anemic during pregnancy) and I haven't been told to give iron supplements.  DS will be 5 months next week.  I think if you're taking prenatals, shouldn't your LO be getting enough iron? I take iron supplements myself because of the anemia (and let DH cook me steak and burgers a few times a week, hehe). 
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Sweetpea, just an idea - get yourself some cast iron cookware - it leaves some iron in the food when you cook in it.  We have a pot and a skillet and I've had excellent hemoglobin levels even right after birth. Smile
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imagesweetpea2718:
    I EBF (and was anemic during pregnancy) and I haven't been told to give iron supplements.  DS will be 5 months next week.  I think if you're taking prenatals, shouldn't your LO be getting enough iron? I take iron supplements myself because of the anemia (and let DH cook me steak and burgers a few times a week, hehe). 

The iron doesn't pass through to the breastmilk to give LO enough.  My doc also recommended giving her the poly-vi-sol drops too.

And she was 80% for weight and 95% for height....I couldn't believe it! 

image April 2, 2011 Exclusive Pumping Facebook Group http://www.facebook.com/groups/113592028761826/ Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"