Food Allergy
Options

What do you do for gluten-free flour?

I have seen a few different brands with a blend of rice, potato, tapioca, etc all mixed together and I have seen all of these sold individually.

Do you buy everything separate and mix what you need together (perhaps in different quantities for different recipes?) Or do you buy a premixed gluten-free flour (if so, which one is your favorite?) 

I did see one with buttermilk mixed in, so I will add that it needs to be wheat, oat, soy and dairy free. Thanks! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Allergic to soy, oat, egg, peanuts, and tree nuts
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: What do you do for gluten-free flour?

• Options

I use a blend. My favorite two are Better Batter and Tom Sawyer. They basically work as a 1:1 substitute in traditional gluteny recipes. Since I've discovered them I can use all of my old favorite baking recipes and get good results again.

I tried the Bob's Red Mill and hated it. It uses bean flours. Some people can't taste the beans, some people can. I'm one that can. I don't want beans in my cake or cookies.

Kristen (7), Timothy (5), Robert (3), Charles (9 months)

• Options
    I mix my own flours (dif quantities of dif flours for dif recipes, I learned a long time ago not to use garfava flour in cookies unless you want falafel tasting cookies).  But I also buy Pamela's baking mix for pancakes, waffles, muffins, and quick breads (I've even used it to make cupcakes in a pinch). 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

After failed attempts at making my own bread, pizza crust, etc., I have found some great brands to use!
    - Pizza crust and sandwich bread: UDI
    - AMAZING PANCAKES, waffles, breaded chicken, biscuits, etc: Bisquick Gluten Free Mix
    - Pasta: Orgran or Heartland, sometimes DeBoles
    - Gravy: Road's End Organics Delicious Golden Quick Gravy (with chicken broth)
    - Sugar Cookies: Mama's Cookie Mix
    - Cakes/Brownies: Betty Crocker
    - Hoagie/Subs and Ciabatta Rolls: Schar
    - Cream of Chicken: Pacific Natural Foods Organic Cream of Chicken Condensed Soup 
    - Bouillon: Better Than Bouillon
    - There is a type of pretzel found in most health food stores and some grocery stores with gf sections that are in a dark blue bag that are better than gluten versions!  I'm sorry that I can't think of the name! 

If I ever have a craving, I usually use the above brands to help me create it, such as chicken pot pie - Bisquick mix.  A way I have learned to feel better while gluten-free: I have been taking fiber supplements everyday.  Don't forget what you're missing out on being gf.  Hope these help!

• Options
    making your own is so much cheaper in the long run.  The inital outlay to buy the different kinds of flour is high- but it will make a huge mix that will last for a while.  I have on all purpose mix in my pantry, one pancake mix (made from my all purpose mix) and a few other flours that I use for cupcakes/cookies etc.  I pulled my recipes from a GF cookbook that I love.  You can find a ton of different combos- it's a little bit of trial and error to find one you like.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I love to use buckwheat flour to make pancakes, and almond flour for baking muffins/pie crust/cookies. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Anniversary

TTC since 2008
    Dh:34, no issues.  Me:31, Endo, slightly hypothyroid, deformed ovary, paracentric inversion.
    4 Gonal-F, Cetrotide, HcG, Crinone +TI cycles= all BFN
    Lap in 2012 to remove large unresolving cyst discovered endo and double lobed ovary.
     6 Gonal-F, Cetrotide, HcG, Crinone IUI cycles= All BFN,
    1st IVF w/ICSI- June '13 Antagonist: Gonal-F, Menopur, Ganirelix, HcG, Estradiol, Crinone= 7 retrieved, 4 mature, 1 unfertilized, 2 abnormally fertilized, 1 normally fertilized.  2DT of only embryo and our miracle BFP.
    Our beloved baby boy was born sleeping Oct. 13, 2013 due to pROM/IC/Uterine infection.
    2nd IVF w/ICSI- Feb. '14 EPP/lupron/antagonist: Estrace, lupron, HGH, Gonal-F, Menopur, HcG, PIO, lovenox, doxy/dex.=21 retrieved, 16 mature, 15 fertilized!!  5dt of 1 blast/ 6 frozen. BFP!  Beta 1 9dp5dt:83.9  Beta 2: 11dp5dt: 145.2  Beta 3  14dp5dt: 497  Please be our sticky rainbow baby!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

imageimage
  • Options
    I keep potato flour, oat flour (although I know it's not gluten-free... I am only wheat-free), and sweet rice flour in the pantry at all times. I use them for basic things like pancakes, thickening gravy/sauces, soup, "breading", etc. But when it comes to baking, I buy Gluten Free All Purpose Flour by GF Pantry because I can buy it at my local WalMart.
    Mom to J (10), L (4), and baby #3 arriving in July of 2015
  • Options

I buy Better Batter in bulk but want to try the KA GF AP flour because we have tried the brownies and cake mixes and they are simply awesome.

I second Udis for breads especially  the Ancient Grains one they came out with recently.  Udis has been the best only second to a GF bread we tried while we were visiting home (England) Genius bread, look t up! (It isn't kept in the fridge or freezer and is about as shelf stable as other good English breads (They don't last long, less preservatives)

I keep GF Bisquick on hand for pancakes and quick dinners.

I also keep Sweet Rice Flour, Rice Flour, Sorghum Flour, Tapioca Flour and Corn Starch in stock. because sometimes I have to make from scratch or use them individually in recipes.

ETA  A REALLY good GF pasta is Quinoa pasta by Ancient Harvest.  Not as starchy as the rice pastas and cheaper than regular GF pastas (FYI Walmart's Heartland GF {pasta is extremely starchy - epic fail)

HTH! 

DH - 42 Me - 36 DS1 -15 DS2 - 3 DD - 1
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"