Natural Birth

Facebook, why do I look at you?

A friend of mine just found out she is pregnant and wants to use a birth center and have a natural birth. I'm obviously super supportive and excited for her, but it appears I'm the only one. 

She made a comment on fb that opened up the debate about hospital and doctors vs. midwife and birth center. Everyone was telling her how the hospital saved their baby and doctors are the reason that birth is safer now than it was 100 years ago. It just pisses me off that people have such a knee jerk reaction towards out of hospital births based on no actual research. Birth is not magically safer and better in a hospital for a healthy woman with a normal pregnancy. Ugh!

Luckily, my friend is very stubborn and has done plenty of research on both sides of the issue and is confident in her choice. It just sucks when people spew out crap when they don't know what they are talking about. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Facebook, why do I look at you?

• It really sucks, but the majority of people think that the best thing for L&D is to go to the hospital and have as many medical interventions as possible! Induction, epidural, elective c/s when it isn't a medical necessity. Best thing to do is not talk about it unless you know the person are talking/communicating with at least understands reasons for wanting as natural of a birth as possible.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • i know.  had a friend today who started her induction with cytotec.  has absolutely no clue about all the risks.  The induction has been planned for two weeks and she mentioned in her post this morning that she still wasn't sure what they were all doing for her induction.  Didn't even know the name of the medication until someone else mentioned it.   
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • This drives me nuts too!  It's crazy that people research which phone to buy more than they research birth options.  When I get the "hospitals are safer" argument, I usually bring up the 32% C-section rate and increased rates of maternal and infant death in the U.S. (hospital-oriented) as compared to European countries, which are more homebirth oriented.  It doesn't seem reasonable that the U.S. just magically has more pregnancies with complications than any other country, so the difference must lie in how we treat pregnancy. 

That said, I have no problem if someone researches all of their options and still opts for a hospital birth with interventions - it's each person's choice.  Like you said, the knee-jerk reaction is what bothers me.

• imageleighzlou:

Everyone was telling her how the hospital saved their baby

I love this argument. The reality is that if they hadn't been in the hospital in the first place their baby wouldn't have needed to be saved. I would be willing to bet that 99% of those comments came from people who were induced. The baby probably didn't tollerate the induction, and they ended up with a c-section. If they'd just waited past 40 weeks, the baby would have come on its own and no "saving" would have been necessary.

Ignorance kills me.  

image Don't argue with idiots, they bring you down to their level then beat you with experience. - Mrs. G
  • imageJason'swife:
    imageleighzlou:

Everyone was telling her how the hospital saved their baby

I love this argument. The reality is that if they hadn't been in the hospital in the first place their baby wouldn't have needed to be saved. I would be willing to bet that 99% of those comments came from people who were induced. The baby probably didn't tollerate the induction, and they ended up with a c-section. If they'd just waited past 40 weeks, the baby would have come on its own and no "saving" would have been necessary.

Ignorance kills me.  

This is what I was thinking.  Whenever someone would tell me why the hospitals were better and a baby was saved I always asked, did they have interventions.  Most of the time they did.

I had one friend who had a baby who almost died that was a legitimate almost death that had nothing to do with how he was born (heart condition).  That birth was the only one that had me nervous about home birth.

imageimageimage

Lilypie Maternity tickers

• I love how people think that home births attended by midwifes and/or birth centers aren't equipped with emergency gear... They are. Midwifes have suction, they have pitocin for hemorrhages, they have emergency training, etc. Where I am, they've also done a diligent and thorough screening of women before accepting them as candidates for home or birth center patients. 
    BabyGaga
    Pregnancy # 6
    4 missed chances
    2 loving children
    1 on the way
  • Yeah I find people always view out of hospital birth as crazy, but often they can be turned around with just a little more information.  Heck, I was one of those people.  So was MH.  And, I'm even managing to get my sister on board.  So maybe these facebook freak outers are just on their way to a better understanding.  (I think I'm just being super positive because I ate a delicious burrito for lunch and it brightened my mood.)

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerPregnancy Ticker

• My sister told me she doesn't "believe" in labor without an epidural. Her own daughter had one and started throwing up from it. I don't know exactly what is going on but my nieces interaction with her infant is strange and even my oblivious husband has noticed it.
    Missed m/c found @ 10 weeks - May 2010
    Missed m/c found @ 10.5 weeks - August 2012
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"