Preemies

random post on FB - chewing LO nails?!

I saw this on FB, a new mommy was told to "chew on the babies nails" in order to trim them! I have NEVER heard of this!  Has any nurse, doctor, any medical professional suggested this?  We used the baby nail files for awhile, then used the baby clippers without a problem?!
Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Pregnancy Ticker

Re: random post on FB - chewing LO nails?!

• I have heard of this, not from a Dr but from DH's aunt.  I wouldn't feel comfortable doing it, I used the files now the clippers like you.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • ppantsppants member
    I've never had a dr tell me that, but I've seen a mom do it.  I did the same as you, file then clippers.
    Wendy Twins 1/27/06. DS and DD
  • Loading the player...
  • One of the nurses at the hospital suggested it..no joke.

I opted for the clippers.

TTC #1 since 4/2007... MFI (low motility/low Testosterone) & PCOS IVF #1 August 2010...BFP 1st sono shows TWINS!!!! Due May 23rd 2011 Ruptured @ 21 weeks (Jan 13) Delivered 26 weekers (Blake and Addison) on Valentine's Day... Keeping faith and praying, God has a plan and we just have to learn to follow. Our Blog ... ourvalentinesdaysurprise.blogspot.com Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • My mom did this for all 3 of us, because she was afraid of cutting us with the clippers. Once our nails got thicker and more defined, she used the clippers. Also, she said it helped that we couldn't tell what she was doing. She was just sucking on our finger, which was far less threatening than trying to hold our hand still while she cut our nails.

My boy has really long nails but I can't do anything about it yet, so I have no personal experience.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I've heard of it and honestly, people have probably doing it that way far longer than clippers have existed.

I've read not to use clippers on newborns because the finger is still fused to the nail, but after awhile (I forget how long), it's fine.  I used the files for awhile but they pissed me off and were useless (I guess I have no patience?), so I just clip. 

BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I've heard of it, but my pedi actually told me NOT to do it, due to all the bacteria in the mouth.

I just wait until she's in a deep sleep and then take the clippers to her.

BFP #1 via IUI ~ L (Fatal Birth Defect) 4/7/10
    BFP #2 via IUI ~ m/c
    BFP #3 via cancelled IUI ~ C (2lb 3oz; HELLP) 5/16/11
    BFP #4 via the natural (free!) way ~ E (8lb 11oz) 9/13/12

• YUP! a dear friend did that with her kids & they're all happy & healthy and in their early teens now :)

I would have tried it, but I don't bite my nails so don't know how people do it LOL ughh, we did file & now I brave the clippers.

• kck329kck329 member

I'll admit to having done it once or twice when her nail tore and needed to come off Embarrassed

But generally, we go for the clippers too. And by "we," I mean DH because I'm convinced I will hurt her and he's a nanochemist so I figure he's better at looking at tiny things. 

• I think this isn't the best option heatlh-wise.  My grandma said that's what they used to do.  I didn't use clippers on my newborns, instead filed, and clipped when they were older. 
  • I clip them, but my SIL did this to her kids. She watches Michael while we are at work and she chewed his nails last week..... Kinda grosses me out
    Anniversary

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

MMC 8/11/15

imageimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"