North Carolina Babies

Spending Christmas at your house?

I know it is early to think about Christmas, but I just got back from my first trip to my mom's house with both kids and it was EXHAUSTING. I was already thinking that this year we would stay home with our little family, but now I am convinced. The only issue is, I know my mom is going to freak out. They only live in Williamsburg, Va, so it isn't far for us to go to, but we have yet to spend a Christmas in our own home and now that our family is complete, I would love for this to be the year we do.

I'd be happy to have everyone come here.  The only catch is that my sister who also lives in Va is divorced and has her kids for Xmas Eve and 1/2 Xmas day. WWYD? Suck it up and go, or stay home?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Spending Christmas at your house?

• STAY HOME!

We did last year and it was so great because we typically do TN to Charlotte back to Raleigh in about 5 days.  UGH! 

I mean, I missed family time and it was a little lonely but we needed that for once.  I have not decided what we are doing this year.

My sweet boy :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • STAY HOME!!!

Don't worry about everyone else. Invite them to you house and if they choose not to come it's their choice. If you end up staying home and no one comes, enjoy your quiet family Christmas at home. :) 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers /">< imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Loading the player...
  • We stay home every year, starting when Allie was born.  We usually would go to DH's grandma's Christmas Eve Day, then neighbor's Christmas Eve, then home for the night and our families come over to our house Christmas Day.

My extended family is in PA, but we don't go there at all, sadly.  My dad, brother and SIL come to my house Christmas Eve and stay with us overnight through Christmas night.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Invite them to your house. If your sister stays behind oh well. Does she live close enough to your mother that it wouldn't be a big deal that she doesn't see them on Xmas? I wouldn't be traveling personally, and I only have one!
  • JuberPJuberP member

Stay home.  We did it for the first time last year - I thought it would be lonely with just our little family, but it was a really fun and peaceful holiday.  Invite your family over to come if they can. 

We normally do an every-other year visit, trading between my parents and my ILs, but took last year to ourselves.  Highly recommended! GL

BTW - based on your subject, I thought you were inviting yourself over.  Wink

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • STAY HOME!
    We used to alternate the holidays between my moms house and the in-laws house.  Once we had kids, we decided to only travel for Thanksgiving.  We stay HOME for Christmas.  It's SO MUCH NICER
    image AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

***Baby #3: BFP Mother

• imageJuberP:

Stay home.  We did it for the first time last year - I thought it would be lonely with just our little family, but it was a really fun and peaceful holiday.  Invite your family over to come if they can. 

We normally do an every-other year visit, trading between my parents and my ILs, but took last year to ourselves.  Highly recommended! GL

BTW - based on your subject, I thought you were inviting yourself over.  Wink

We'd love to come over!! Ha ha!

Thanks for the advice everyone. I really, really want to stay home this year, last year was an absolute mess with the snow storm, we ended up having to leave Christmas day in the snow to avoid getting snowed in (Williamsburg doesn't cope well with snow). It was the scariest drive home ever in pitch black darkness and icy roads.

I don't want to break the news to my mom!! Someone want to do it for me?

• stay! we had the hard talk w/ my family 2 years ago; we were always the ones traveling and we said that from now on, christmas will be at our house. if anyone wants to come, great, but if not, we'll see you another time. it's so much nicer without the stress.
    Baby Charchie born 12/22/2011
  • I know it sounds like your mom will have a hard time accepting your decision but you need to make her realize that its important to you that your kids can wake up in their own house Christmas morning.  Your sister's kids up until now have always gotten to wake up at home or close to home and u'd like that for your kids. While my inlaws and parents live close by so we still see them for christmas we have always made it clear that we will sleep at our own house and have only our lil family at the house for christmas morning and presents from us and santa and they have been very accepting of it!! Good luck!
    imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • We had an interesting time on Christmas Day last year with the snow as well which is what made our decision easier for the future...we are going to see my parents the week before Christmas sometime and then Christmas morning we'll be at home, then travel to the IL's for Christmas afternoon which is only a short drive away. That way we won't be rushed and with two kids, it won't be as overwhelming as it was with just one last year and trying to rush around the state in the snow storm to see everyone. I swore we'd never do that again, especially with two kids from now on. So I agree, stay home, invite family over, and if they can't come, no biggie. I know we'll miss seeing some family because of this and that stinks, but I think overall, once you start your own family you have to make those decisions. GL!
  • I agree.  Stay home.  We were going to go to my parents for Christmas this year in WI (we haven't been for Christmas yet since we've been married) but I changed my mind.  It's just too hectic.  Too many people in a small house, the girls not waking up to our Christmas tree, etc.  Although I grew up near all my family and we always had large family get togethers for Christmas, I always woke up at our house so I'd really like to do that even if it means we don't get to see family every year.  They are welcome to come to our house but it's just too much for a family of 4 to travel for the holidays, especially when they're so young.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"