Adoption
Options

Finalization Update

I posted 2 or 3 weeks ago about our finalization/re-adoption nightmare. Our son came home on an IR-4 visa, so we have to re-adopt and finalize here in the US.

We officially do have to do another home study and the judge is not budging. The kicker - the probation department of our town is doing it - not even a social worker. Our attorney says in the past, she knows that they have asked extremely rude questions and it's not a pleasant experience. Oh, what fun this will be.

Not only that, but we will have multiple court dates. The first court date in 2 weeks will be an "initial meeting" with the judge. Are you serious? We can't have the initial meeting when we finalize? So, now DH has to take even more time off of work to attend the hearing. This is on top of our normal post-placement visit that we have set up next week and then our finalization court date - whenever that will be. Our attorney has been wonderful and keeps filing stuff with the court asking them to reconsider things. Oh, and we also have to redo fingerprints and child abuse checks.

It's been over 7 months since submitting finalization paperwork. It normally takes 2-4 months or so and in our case, we don't see the finish line any time soon. What a nightmare. At least the court is finally moving on our case. Blah.

Re: Finalization Update

• Options
    Sorry you have to go through all of this.  :-)
    Romney-Portman 2012 ORGAN DONOR: DEAL WITH IT. :-) :-)
  • Options
    Oh, I am so sorry! I hope your next steps go smoothly, and know it will be worth it in the end. Hang in there.
    We are adopting! Currently waiting for our domestic infant adoption match.

My blog: Making Me Mom

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm so sorry - I hope your lawyer can work some magic for yous!

5/10 - Gideon 6/12 Warren
    4/11 Started adoption process for 2 siblings through DCF. 10/12 Found out we are licensed! 12/14 Brought 3 week old identical twin girls home from the hospital.  Could be at least until Summer 1015 til we know if they are forever ours
  • Options
    Wow, what a nightmare!  I am so sorry you have had to go through all of this.  Hang in there, it will be worth it in the end.
    Brenda & Phillip married 10/10/09 

After 6 years of failed cycles, we were blessed with our little man through adoption. 
    B born 1/3/2012. Adoption finalized 12/27/12

Back  on the IF crazy train...
    Sept 2013 - IVF #1 -  BFP, EDD 6/4/14, born 6/8/14
    Everyone welcome

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My goodness, could people try to make things any more difficult.  I hope that the new homestudy can be easier than expected and that everything gets completed soon. 
    TTC #1 since 12/07 SA 9/08=borderline normal HSG 1/09 found R tube blocked Multiple IUIs both with oral and injectible drugs from 2/09-2/11 Started domestic adoption process in 5/10, homestudy complete 9/10 Failed adoption after home with baby for 2 weeks 11/10 Blessed through the miracle of private adoption with a son, born 6/6/11 (his grandma's bday) 7lbs 9oz 20.5 inches long! So worth the wait!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"