Food Allergy

Possible nitrate allergy?

My son's daycare provider sent me a text a few weeks ago that he had a rash on his face.  She said he ate corn, hot dog and peas for lunch.  I assumed it was corn since he had never had it.  Well, this past weekend I tested him and we had corn on the cob for several meals.  He didn't react at all.  Now I'm thinking it's something in the hotdog.  Could it be nitrates?  He's never eaten a hot dog before and I'm sure she's not buying the highest quality hot dogs!

We have a follow up appt with his allergist tomorrow so I'll ask her about it but is anyone dealing with this or have any insight? 

ETA:  Now that I think about it he also breaks out when we have turkey sandwiches from Jimmy Johns.  I always thought it was because of the cheese but he doesn't really eat much of the cheese.  He can tolerate some but not a ton.  Hmm...

* DS1...allergic to dairy, peanuts, eggs and turkey *
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

love is for every her, love is for every him, love is for everyone

Re: Possible nitrate allergy?

• it's very possible to be allergic to preservatives. i have heard about it in other forums.  The kids pretty much have to go 100% organic.

it could be the preservatives or some types of meat.

Good luck at the allergist tomorrow. I'm curious what it could be. 

• if he has issues with cheese- it could also be the dairy.  Lots of lunch meats and hotdogs use whey and casien (dairy protiens) as binders. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imageg_belle:
    if he has issues with cheese- it could also be the dairy.  Lots of lunch meats and hotdogs use whey and casien (dairy protiens) as binders. 

Yes  yup! forgot about that.   There are even deli meats that have casein in it.

• imageg_belle:
    if he has issues with cheese- it could also be the dairy.  Lots of lunch meats and hotdogs use whey and casien (dairy protiens) as binders. 

When this happens, are they required to print it on the package? Our allergist told me the samething and I have yet to find one package of hot dogs, or sandwhich meat, that has casein in it, or has a warning for dairy. 

• In Canada, it's marked on the packaging.  Not sure about the US.
  • imageloveemandle2:

imageg_belle:

When this happens, are they required to print it on the package? Our allergist told me the samething and I have yet to find one package of hot dogs, or sandwhich meat, that has casein in it, or has a warning for dairy. 

hot dogs will usually have it on the package- but no- it's not always listed.  Your best bet is to call the manufacturer/check gogle. 

Applegate farms, Hormel "natural" (in the brown box- can't remember the exact name)  and Boars Head are all safe.  Trader Joes and Whole Foods have awesome labeling standards for their suppliers- so if you're shopping there it's easy to find.  Otherwise you just have to research. 

• Could also be soy. Most hotdogs and processed foods contain soy. Ds is allergic and he gets a contact rash/redness from it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"