Washington Babies

If you could choose...

In the perfect world would you SAH, work part time, work full time? What do you do know? *let's say dh keeps the same job he has now.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: If you could choose...

• I'd work 2 days a week. I SAH now.
  • I would want:  SAH, part time nanny, a little free lance work on the side.

I am:  SAHM... a very very very very tiny bit of extra work for my old job now and then. 

• Loading the player...
  • In a perfect world I would stay at home. Right now I work full time. This has been a back and forth issue for me because I hate my job and my H technically makes enough that I could stay home. But we love to travel and we love to be able to do "whatever" we want and my income provides that. We expect that I will stay home in two years time... we'll see though.
    M + K = 05.16.09 | A.P. = 02.27.11
  • Part time. no question. That way, I'd get more time with the kids, but also have my own "adult" time as well.
  • I SAH. I did work pt 3x's a week, from 4-9:30 when M was a year old, until about 34 weeks pg with W.  It was exhausting, so hard to be up all day with M then go to work. I am glad to be home now with the boys.
  • I think I have it now: Work part time flexible schedule (including weekends and evenings with shifts as short as 2 hours and as long as 12 hours. I can work anytime between 7am and 3am the following day, but usually limit myself to 11pm), and SAH the rest of the time. DH works from home 2 days a week. I schedule myself around book club, playgroups, and any other function I want to attend. The only drawback is I have to work 24 hours a month and 10 of those hours are last minute paged out time, so I have to keep my pager on me at all times. Before K, I had J in childcare/preschool 2 days a week, but can't afford it until I work at least 50 hours a month. Once I do she's going back to all day 3 days a week childcare/preschool.

I go back to work on Tuesday.....I'm actually excited!

• Ideal: SAH with side projects where I can be creative and do things I love.

Now: I work part-time. 

-Deborah

• I would work part-time.  I actually love my job and I love working and having a career.  But, I would also love to have more time at home with Lucy and it would be nice to be able to do more activities with her and be able to keep up with all that needs to be done to keep up with home life (laundry, cleaning, etc, etc).
  • I would definitely work part-time. Right now I teach full-time and then am at home full-time during the summer. I don't really love doing either FULL time; a part-time combo would be perfect!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Right now I work part-time, but it's four days a week. In a perfect world I'd stay home but somehow still be able to afford preschool/part-time nanny so I could volunteer. Or maybe still work part-time but only 1-2 days per week.
    Photo by J. Shelton Photography
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageMy Blog
  • Seeing as DH hates his job, I would have to be a working mama even though I love being a SAHM right now.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers IAmPregnant Ticker
  • In a perfect world I'd work about 2 days a week and be able to leave the kids home with the hubs for extended periods of time so that I wouldn't have to get childcare. I find it funny that I want to work now because when Connor was a year I did work at home on an as needed basis and I sorta hated it. I guess 2 kids will do that ya!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket
  • Ideal:  Part time, with no on call.  I'd love 2 days/week.

Now:  I work full time, 4 days/week with about 11 hour shifts.  I'm also on call about 3 days/week and every 3rd weekend.  I'm supposed to be going down to part time, but it likely won't happen until October and I have a feeling that it won't work out financially with my work if I'm not working full time.. so I have a feeling I either need to stay full time (which is exhausting, with the long shifts and on call, and DH travelling lots and doing lots of overtime) or get a new job.  Let the job hunting commence!!

• If DH has the same job he has now, meaning same income, I choose our current structure because we need/want my income.  Fully funding retirement and saving for college and paying cash for things like cars and remodels is important to us.  But if he gets a raise, I'm going part time for sure.  7 days per pay period would be ideal for me. 

BIG Brother born 10/19/07 little Brother born 1/31/12
  • imagekristalovesjared:
    I'd work 2 days a week. I SAH now.

I think I'd like this too.  2-3 days a week to get out of the house and be with adults. I'm pretty happy with our currently situation though. I'll probably start working again in about 2 years. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • SAH would be my ideal, right now I work full time.  We are working towards me working part time.

• I finally have my ideal of SAHM.  I've never been a career person and always wanted to be a SAHM.  It would be super nifty if I got paid to SAH full-time, so money would never be tight, but this will do.  :-)
    Photo by J Shelton Photography

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Married 10/5/08 | 2 yrs of TTC, tests, procedures & a m/c | IVF #2 =James!
  • I love what I have now (WAHM/part-time), but I would def work less on the weekends if I could.
    {The artist formerly known as JRS72206}
  • as much as we need money I would love to work full time. but I have been a SAHM, a full time working mom (pre Kai) and now a part time working mom and I have to say part time is awesome. I get the break from the boys, a paycheck of my own and I get all the family time still too.
    Dawn - Wife of Brian 09/25/2005 - Mother of Eli Jace 03/12/2007 and Kai Evan 10/17/08

• Hmmm...I like my job but I also feel really stretched sometimes.  So I'd probably choose work part-time.  Or better yet, winning the lottery.

Jen - Mom to Jillian (10/2008) and Hayden (4/2010)

My Blog

• In a perfect world, I'd work 3-4 days a week.  I love my DD, but this summer has proven to me that I am not a SAHM.... :(
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I think I would work P/T .. which hopefully we will be able to make happen with baby #2.  I currently work F/T - 4 10 hour shifts/week.  It works out well for us financially and with childcare (not needing f/t care) but I feel drained by the end of my work week and we don't get much 'family time' (I work weekends).

I always thought I wanted to be a SAHM, but I don't know that I'm cut out for it - and I'm afraid I would be too bored or stressed. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Dx: Hypothalamic Amennorhea (Unexplained) DS #1: IVF #1 - Born: 3/15/10 TTC #2: FET Cycle #1: BFP 11/4/12(HPT) - Beta #1: 61.8 Beta #2: 60 :( Beta #3: 14 Natural M/C FET Cycle #2: ET: 2/13/13, BFP 2/20/13 (HPT) - Beta #1:9dp5dt(2/22/13) - 93.1 - Beta #2:12dp5dt - 543
  • I currently work 4 days a week. Ideally I would love to be able to SAHM, but that will probably never happen. So my next goal is to eventually drop to 3 days a week.
  • I SAH and while I love it, it would be nice to work 2-3 nights a week. Sadly DH's crazy work schedule sorta prevents it.
  • I would work part time.  Like 2 days/week for grown-up time!  But then the rest of time kids/family/home time! :-)
    Photobucket
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I love my job!  I'd probably work PT if we could afford for me to do that, and if my school could make that flexibility happen, both of which seem like pie-in-the-sky dreams.  I can't imagine not teaching, though!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I may be the minority - I would work full time.  I don't think I could do my job justice part time, as it is I am always running out of time for all my projects.  I wish DH could work part time.  Heck, if I made more, it would be awesome if he were a SAHD.  But I guess my dream would be me working full time and him working 2 - 3 days a week.
    J + J = K image Photo by J. Shelton Photography Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"