High-Risk Pregnancy

new here and new to GD... with a question

Hi ladies. I'm now 28w3d and found out I have GD 2 days ago after failing the 2-hr GTT (with a number of 155).  I haven't met with the dietician yet, but did receive my glucose meter yesterday, so I read the instructions and began testing this morning.

My fasting level was 87.

2 hours after breakfast was 86.

Is it normal for it to be LOWER than my fasting level, or am I doing something wrong (i.e., not eating enough)?

Thanks so much!!

Re: new here and new to GD... with a question

• Your fasting number is awesome. I'm not sure the guidelines on if a number is too low after eating. What did you eat?
    Wyatt 9/6/2011 
    Tessa 7/5/2013
    Baby #3- ????? (ttc soon)

• imageAmanda&EricB:
    Your fasting number is awesome. I'm not sure the guidelines on if a number is too low after eating. What did you eat?

Thanks!

I had 2 eggs, scrambled, mixed a little bit of non-fat milk in. I haven't gone food shopping yet since I'm trying to make a list of what to buy... maybe I should be having a piece of toast or something?

I wish my appointment with dietician was sooner! (have to wait until wednesday)

• Loading the player...
  • Eggs are a great breakfast. The milk may not be the best choice, but that will depend on your dietician and how your numbers look as time goes by. I cannot have milk or fruit for breakfast. It sounds like you could probably add a slice of toast to that breakfast for carbs.

Keep on trying different things! :)

Wyatt 9/6/2011 
    Tessa 7/5/2013
    Baby #3- ????? (ttc soon)

• imageAmanda&EricB:

Eggs are a great breakfast. The milk may not be the best choice, but that will depend on your dietician and how your numbers look as time goes by. I cannot have milk or fruit for breakfast. It sounds like you could probably add a slice of toast to that breakfast for carbs.

Keep on trying different things! :)

thanks so much for responding, i appreciate it!!

• Different docs will use different cut-offs.  Most will want you below 95 for a fasting.  My doc wants his patients below 90.  So, your number would be passing either way.  I test 2 hours after my first bite of food.  I am supposed to be between 60 and 114.  So, your number was fine. 

It is fine if your post breakfast number is lower than your fasting.  This morning, my fasting was 70 and my post breakfast was 65.  My post breakfast number will run anywhere between 65 and sometimes as high as 85.  Even though insulin resistance is supposed to be highest in the morning, it is not for me.  I actually had a 50 earlier this week.  I eat the same thing for breakfast every morning- not sure what caused my low.  I am not on any meds. 

You should add at least 15 grams of carbs to your breakfast.  Most of the ladies on the board are allowed 15 or 30.  You could have 30 tomorrow and see how you do.  You still need to eat carbs when you have GD.  You just spread them out over 3 meals and 3 snacks.  Most GD moms stay away from fruit, juice, and dairy in the mornings.  I am allowed 1 cup of dairy in the am, but I am an atypical case because I run lower in the morning.  GL! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagerainlily:

thank you, your response is very helpful (and reassuring lol)!

• I would say you probably could have had a piece of toast, or even two. You don't want to completely restrict your carbs. My dietician gave me a guideline of 45 carbs for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I'm also supposed to have 3 snacks a day with 15-30 carbs.

After I started testing I found that the 45 carbs for breakfast was just a bit too much. I usually have around 30-35. I guess I'm especially sensitive to carbs in the morning.

Adjusting to the diet is really a lot of trial and error! It helps for me to write down everything I eat and then put my numbers next to the meals so I have a record of what makes my levels high or low.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagealli&dan:

thank you! i will start tracking that information as well. great idea.

• You said after 2 hours it was in the 80's? Yah that's normal. Most of us test 1 hour after eating instead of 2. When I test after 2 it has usually lowered itself into the 80-90 range so that's just fine. If you are taking meds though I would eat some whole wheat toast with the eggs. It's better than milk as milk is high in sugar. Then after 2 hours I would eat some fruit and nuts or cottage cheese. That helps my levels stay normal and not drop.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My doctor and GD  booklet say no milk in the mornings and my numbers are fine when I follow this rule. But then again, it depends on your dietician/doctor - I guess.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • thanks ladies... i ate lunch almost an hour ago so i'm going to try testing in a few minutes. i'm not sure what they want me to do yet since i haven't met with the dietician yet, so i'm just winging it at this point.
  • I just tested one hour after lunch. 114.

I ate a whole wheat wrap with a grilled chicken cutlet, one slice of cheese, lettuce, and a tablespoon of salad dressing...

for a snack about 2 hours before that I had 4 triscuits, a babybel cheese, and a handful of almonds.

i guess it's good that my numbers are low-ish...

• It sounds to me like you're fine!  2 hours after a meal should definitely be low like that, and not compared with a fasting number.  As long as you're above 70 (some say 60), you're totally fine. 

As for the no milk in the morning thing, that's because for most people, sugars are hardest to manage in the morning.  Milk typically spikes numbers like crazy.  At the same time, every pregnancy is going to do different things.  With DS2 I had to avoid milk until dinner time.  This time around, my breakfast numbers are awesome and I drink a glass of milk.  They stay steady at around 100 even with milk.  Lunch though is another story.  No way could I have milk with lunch, I would be way way high.

Don't stress, just limit your carbs (don't cut them out entirely) and wait to meet with your dietician!

Caleb.02.01.08 | Asher.07.06.09 | Jude.01.19.12
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Mama Jan's Kitchen... a food blog
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • imageMama Jan:

It sounds to me like you're fine!  2 hours after a meal should definitely be low like that, and not compared with a fasting number.  As long as you're above 70 (some say 60), you're totally fine. 

As for the no milk in the morning thing, that's because for most people, sugars are hardest to manage in the morning.  Milk typically spikes numbers like crazy.  At the same time, every pregnancy is going to do different things.  With DS2 I had to avoid milk until dinner time.  This time around, my breakfast numbers are awesome and I drink a glass of milk.  They stay steady at around 100 even with milk.  Lunch though is another story.  No way could I have milk with lunch, I would be way way high.

Don't stress, just limit your carbs (don't cut them out entirely) and wait to meet with your dietician!

thank you!!! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"