Attachment Parenting

s/o baby fever, 2nd pregnancy v. first

Help me quell my bebe fever 5 months before I move out of the country. Did any of you have a great first pregnancy/delivery and a not-so-great 2nd pregnancy and/or delivery?

I'm not really looking for "horror" stories, just trying to be realistic. I keep thinking about how active I was when I was pg with DD and how it wouldn't affect my ability to enjoy life in a new city at all to be hugely pregnant. I also keep thinking that in Europe I could try for a homebirth.

DH is trying to bring me back down to earth, but he has never been pregnant. So, hit me with the truth...

Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: s/o baby fever, 2nd pregnancy v. first

• The pregnancy physically is pretty much the same so far, but everything is harder with a toddler in tow.  Remember all that time you had to rest the first time around- yeah, not so much this time.   Does my DD care that I feel sick and dizzy?  Nope.  She still wants me to do everything I usually do with her and with the same enthusiasm. 

Does that help?   :)

Lilypie - (ZESJ)Lilypie - (QAi1)

• Well I'm only 14 weeks into my second pregnancy, but so far it's tracking along much the same as my first. Some morning sickness but completely manageable. So I'm hoping it continues this way.

However, I've lost count of the number of women I know who have had increasingly worse morning sickness with each subsequent pregnancy. Three women I know how minor/average morning sickness for their first and ended up being hospitalised for dehydration with following pregnancies because they couldn't even keep water down.

I also know lots of women who have struggled with the exhaustion of pregnancy because they simply weren't as well rested as they were with their first. They're running around after a toddler or child rather than putting their feet up.

Good luck with your decision. 

Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• Loading the player...
  • I think that having my DD around has actually kept me more active and I've been able to enjoy this pregnancy more because of it.  Plus, she says the cutest things about the pregnancy and is so excited to meet her baby brother.  This pregnancy has been way more fun having a daughter to share it with. 

I'm totally encouraging the baby fever!  Go for it!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Obviously not there yet but I'm worried about the exhaustion. Ari rarely naps now & when he does it just fvcks up bedtime, so I can't cat nap during the day unless DH is off.

My SIL is 14 weeks along & my nephew is 11 months & she said it's been tough, but she naps with him for one of his naps (he takes 2 still, I can't even imagine) & that keeps her mostly in check. She's had more MS this time around too. 

My plan is to just go to bed super early & hope for the best. At least now that Ari doesn't nap he's down by 7:00.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My first and second pg were terrible because of hypermesis (SO BAD BAD BAD)... but this one has been much better (wonder if it is because I had no dairy & soy for the first part and only limited since then).  

My first delivery was via c/s because of size and LO didn't come on his own.  It was relatively easy, with just some pangs here and there at the incision while recovering.  My second was a repeat c/s (same reasons, we would have tried VBAC if he came on his own) and it was SO easy.  No pangs or pain really (other than uterine cramping, esp. when nursing).  

Not that you asked for advice... but I feel compelled to say there is no "right" time to be pg.  There is always a reason to wait.  We waited 2 years before TTC our second child and I'm not sure I would have done so again because things didn't really go so well, we had 3 losses before we were blessed with DS2 and DS1 was already 4.  This time, we started even before DS2 turned 1... and were blessed with a sticky baby right away.  So you never know.  I'd say when you and your DH feel settled and ready, see what happens Stick out tongue

Fortunate to be a SAHM to my 3 musketeers (5/2006, 5/2010 & 12/2011). Soy & dairy free for the 3rd and final time. Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers imageimage
  • imagepinksweetpea2:

The pregnancy physically is pretty much the same so far, but everything is harder with a toddler in tow.  Remember all that time you had to rest the first time around- yeah, not so much this time.   Does my DD care that I feel sick and dizzy?  Nope.  She still wants me to do everything I usually do with her and with the same enthusiasm. 

This is what worries me the most.  I remember being tired and I was HUGE (gained just shy of 80 lbs huge) and it basically hurt to move.  DS is super, super active and I worry about not being able to keep up with him.   DH is working all day on Sundays and I worry what I would do with DS if I was so super tired and huge. 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I had an easy 1st pregnancy.  I was never sick and other than having a possible delivery scare due to pre-e at 34 weeks it was easy.  Carter was born at 36 weeks due to pre-e.

With Casey I was sick from pretty much 6 weeks on.  I threw up every single day, multiple times a day until the day I delivered Casey at 36 weeks, again due to pre-e.  I was in and out of the hospital every few days from 34 weeks, not just once like I was with Carter.  I couldn't last more than 15 minutes in a store and even after that short amount of time I threw up the second I was home, every.single.time.  Even though Carter was 4.5 y/o when Casey was born it was SO much harder because I was so sick.

Does that help?  Smile

imageimage
  • imageKersbear:

With Casey I was sick from pretty much 6 weeks on.  I threw up every single day, multiple times a day until the day I delivered Casey at 36 weeks, again due to pre-e.  I was in and out of the hospital every few days from 34 weeks, not just once like I was with Carter.  I couldn't last more than 15 minutes in a store and even after that short amount of time I threw up the second I was home, every.single.time.  Even though Carter was 4.5 y/o when Casey was born it was SO much harder because I was so sick.

Total side note.....how is the age difference between your 2 kids?

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageMeg&Jesse:
    imagepinksweetpea2:

The pregnancy physically is pretty much the same so far, but everything is harder with a toddler in tow.  Remember all that time you had to rest the first time around- yeah, not so much this time.   Does my DD care that I feel sick and dizzy?  Nope.  She still wants me to do everything I usually do with her and with the same enthusiasm. 

This is what worries me the most.  I remember being tired and I was HUGE (gained just shy of 80 lbs huge) and it basically hurt to move.  DS is super, super active and I worry about not being able to keep up with him.   DH is working all day on Sundays and I worry what I would do with DS if I was so super tired and huge. 

It actually isn't really that bad.   I was just trying to help the OP out. ;)  

The thing is- you just do it.  I can't speak from experience yet, but I have watched a ton of my friends go through it the past year  and you just do it.  You have no choice so you don't really think about not doing it.  Does that make sense? 

There really is a huge difference overall between first and second (+) pregnancies.  As a parent you have developed all sorts of coping skills in challenging situations and you just cope with all the normal aches and pains of pregnancy better.  At least that is what I have observed. :)

Lilypie - (ZESJ)Lilypie - (QAi1)

• While I was more uncomfortable at this point in my last pregnancy (more RLP, hip pain at night, etc.) having a toddler around trumps it all!  He's all energy and I seem to be slowing down by the day.

No delivery story yet, but this one has got to be better than my first.  Ugh.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"