Northern California Babies

Sick baby & bro's engagement party- need advice!

My brother & his FI are having their engagement party tomorrow in Sonoma. It's family only since their wedding is going to be huge.  My parents are going, and us (that's it from our side), she has 2 brothers with wives, and her parents are split so they each have SOs they are bringing. 

We hired a sitter (first time ever leaving the kids with a paid sitter, not my parents or a nestie swap, which is what we usually do), and I was excited for a fun night even though I was nervous about being so far away in case something happened.  She is one of the lifeguards from my school, very qualified, 5 nieces & nephews, tons of sitting experience, obviously knows cpr, first aid, etc from life guarding.  She's 19. 

So at around 11:30 this morning the preschool calls me, Si has a fever of 102 and is being sent home.  He's been waking up this week which is not normal but we attributed it to teething- but since he busted a fever my money is on ear infection.  I have a dr appt at 2:45 so we shall see.  He's sleeping now.  Alex stayed at school so he could do his swim lesson this afternoon, we'll pick him up later.

So- regardless I think I cancel the sitter.  Although if it's an ear infection and he get 24 hours (barely) in on antibiotics would you go?!?  

If it's NOT an ear infection, I for sure cancel the sitter because what if Alex gets it, he has a bad history with fevers.  But then this is the question:

Do I go to the party alone and leave DH with the kids? 

We have 3 vehicles but only one the kids can ride in (DH has a pick up truck and a Harley).  The truck is not in good shape and I don't feel comfy driving it to the store, let alone to Sonoma.  I can't leave him here without a way to get the kids around in case of an emergency.  So if I go, I have to figure out how to get there without taking my car.  

I could take the train to Martinez and have my parents pick me up on their way.  But they are spending the night which means I'll have to spend the night.  Which means I'll be all- Hey, DH, I'm headed out for a fun night away and here's your prize, staying with sick kids!!!!!!!!

And if you remember my CW he's already pretty bitter about being alone with them too much (although me staying home last night helped tremendously with that).  

Or, we both stay home and I just tell my brother sorry, we can't go.  I know he would understand but I also feel like I should go and  "represent" for him- I know it doesn't matter but they already have twice as much family going as we do... I feel bad.  

So nesties I ask you... what would YOU do?!?  

The Boy Wonder 8/23/06 & The Famous Baby 6/1/10
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Sick baby & bro's engagement party- need advice!

• And my somewhat over the top mother has already proclaimed that it is my family duty to be there regardless of situation, and that I can stay with them in their hotel room, no issues.

She is a hater on my DH when it come sto this type of stuff and always goes right to "Their HIS kids too".

Ugh this is going to be drama-rama-rama-rama-lama-ding-dong!!

• If it's an ear infection, the antibiotics should have him feeling fine so I'd hire the sitter and go.  If not, I'd stay and not let your mom put down the guilt trip
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm with Boom.  If ear infection, you go assuming the antibiotics work and fever comes down some before say noon tomorrow. 

If not, you both stay home. 

It's an engagement party, not a wedding. You do not need to represent anything.  If the shoes were reversed, you would be pissed if your MIL said that your Dh needed to leave you at home alone with two sick kids overnight to go to a party.  And you'd be right.  Your own mother is loony if she thinks a you should leave a sick child overnight without you (even if it is with DH) for a party.  Who says that?  Who believes it?  If my own mother (who has pulled a few humdinger guilt trips in her day) pulled that with me, I would laugh at her.  And then I'd tell her that as much as she wants to enlist me to protect or prop up her son, her own baby, I need to do the same for my own baby, who is an actual baby and not a full grown adult on the verge of getting married. But I'm kind of known as a ***, so you know, maybe don't say that.

• imagefutrkingsley:

I'm with Boom.  If ear infection, you go assuming the antibiotics work and fever comes down some before say noon tomorrow. 

It's an engagement party, not a wedding. You do not need to represent anything.  If the shoes were reversed, you would be pissed if your MIL said that your Dh needed to leave you at home alone with two sick kids overnight to go to a party.  And you'd be right.  Your own mother is loony if she thinks a you should leave a sick child overnight without you (even if it is with DH) for a party.  Who says that?  Who believes it?  If my own mother (who has pulled a few humdinger guilt trips in her day) pulled that with me, I would laugh at her.  And then I'd tell her that as much as she wants to enlist me to protect or prop up her son, her own baby, I need to do the same for my own baby, who is an actual baby and not a full grown adult on the verge of getting married. But I'm kind of known as a ***, so you know, maybe don't say that.

Ha ha ha ha ha.... oooooh wow my mother would LOVE that!  Surprise

You are funny.

• I'm horrible about canceling plans so I would go. I would keep the sitter and go. I think it will be fine, and you and DH could get home if needed.
  • You should go. DH can handle it. It's not like a night out with the ladies. It is your brother and an engagement party. It is important. If it is an eat infection, just go. You're sitter can handle a cranky kiddo. 
    Greyson Ray ~ July 31 2006 | WinterRose Elizabeth ~ April 28th 2010 Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    The Blog | BirthbyKellyM
  • imagefricksgirl:
    imagefutrkingsley:

I'm with Boom.  If ear infection, you go assuming the antibiotics work and fever comes down some before say noon tomorrow. 

Ha ha ha ha ha.... oooooh wow my mother would LOVE that!  Surprise

You are funny.

My mother would love (hahaha) it too.  Or maybe she'd just cry.  And obviously I'm the only one who doesn't place great importance on an engagement party, mine or any one else's.  That's fine.  I've certainly left a feverish kid (with my mom) to go to my day job, so it's not like I'm advocating 24/7 sick bed duty either. 

I hope his appointment gives you some clear thing to treat/fix and you can go on with your plans without any doubts that all will be fine.

• I'm getting a little sick of nesties hanging out in Sonoma and not meeting up with me. Sad

Ditto the others, ear infection - ok to go. Not ear infection? I'd still say you and DH probably go, depending on how the kiddos are acting in the morning. If Si is really not like himself in the morning, DH gets to stay home that night. But really Sonoma isn't that far if there was a need to get home, is it? Like an hour and a half?  If it's at a restaurant they've already paid a pretty penny per head and you don't want to be that couple that doesn't show up after RSVPing unless it's a real emergency, do you? :)

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"