Military Families
Options

New parents/breast feeding classes on base?

I'm just wondering if the base you were stationed at offered any of these classes: new dad's, new parents or breast feeding? When I attended my mandatory OB orientation the person in charge said that they would be offereing some classes during our pregnancy. Well... I'm now about 3 months away from our EDD. I inquired about these classes and was told that the only one that was scheduled was a new dad's class. This will be the 3rd new dad's class offered since we found out we were expecting. The person in charge said that there wasn't enough people to offer the other classes and she "might" do a breast feeding class before our LO is due. I know that there were 3 other couples at my OB orientation and only 1 had another child. If there's enough to have a dad's class you'd think there would be enough people to have a new parent class. I would rather it be offered and then said there wasn't enough interest and have it be cancelled than not offered at all. Now, I'm afraid that it's too late to get into the classes that are at the hospital I will deliver at.

Sorry, my question turned into a semi-rant. I just would like to know what other people have offered to them. Thanks!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: New parents/breast feeding classes on base?

• Options
    NSLNSL member
    Store like Babies R Us offer those kinds of classes too. You should also contact your local La Leche League to see if they know of any available classes that might be helpful to you.
  • Options
    I didn't deliver at a base hospital so I don't know what they offered but you might check around your area. The hospital system in our area offers a lot of different classes.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Madigan (JBLM) offers most classes on a monthly or semi-monthly basis.  I haven't signed up yet, so I don't know if they would say they were cancelled or not, but I'm guessing not since this place is huge. I think I remember my OB saying that the Birth Plan class was mandatory or at least strongly recommended, but I'm not really sure. 
    AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers

SaveSave
  • Options
    imagePrincess Fireball:

I'm just wondering if the base you were stationed at offered any of these classes: new dad's, new parents or breast feeding? When I attended my mandatory OB orientation the person in charge said that they would be offereing some classes during our pregnancy. Well... I'm now about 3 months away from our EDD. I inquired about these classes and was told that the only one that was scheduled was a new dad's class. This will be the 3rd new dad's class offered since we found out we were expecting. The person in charge said that there wasn't enough people to offer the other classes and she "might" do a breast feeding class before our LO is due. I know that there were 3 other couples at my OB orientation and only 1 had another child. If there's enough to have a dad's class you'd think there would be enough people to have a new parent class. I would rather it be offered and then said there wasn't enough interest and have it be cancelled than not offered at all. Now, I'm afraid that it's too late to get into the classes that are at the hospital I will deliver at.

Sorry, my question turned into a semi-rant. I just would like to know what other people have offered to them. Thanks!

What branch are you affiliated with?  What base are you at?  I know at the USMC bases that MCCS/MCTFB offer classes and the NMCRS offer classes.

• Options
    We are USAF and stationed at Edwards AFB. I guess I'm just frustrated since we will be first time parents and I was told these classes were going to be made availabe at my OB orientation. I can't rely on my mom or MIL since we are in CA and they are both in NY and are unable to get time off around the birth of our LO. I also feel that it is too late to sign up for classes, since most want you to do it around 30-32 weeks and we are already in our 26th.
  • Options
    NSLNSL member
    It's far from too late. Start looking for alternative classes.
  • Options

imageNSL:
    It's far from too late. Start looking for alternative classes.

This. Or ask the woman who is supposed to be teaching the classes on base for a private consultation since she refuses to teach a public class. Or ask her to recommend someone who will do a private consult if she won't do that either.  

Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

She did ask me what type of information I was looking for in the classes. I wrote her an email earlier today. I guess we are going to try and get into some classes at the hospital we will deliver at. I'm not to hopeful as the hospital covers a large area, but if we can't get in I might ask for a private session with her. Hopefully, Hubby can get some of our questions answered in his new dad's class in a few weeks.

• Options
    If you are interested in breastfeeding, I encourage you to contact your local La Leche League leader and attend meetings. That alone will put you on a path to successful breastfeeding because it's often about having the right support behind you.
  • Options
    DH is Air Force and they have lots of classes at our base.  They've got classes through the A&FRC. I'd check there first and then they told us about some other ones.  I can't remember who they are through but I know the ladies office is down in Mental Health at the clinic.  We've taken about 3 classes through them and DH has taken the Daddy's class. They have all been great.  You might have your DH check with some of the other dad's in his shop or flight.  That's where mine heard about some of them.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I don't know what the Airforce calls theirs, but our Fleet and Family offer classes as well.  And also if the hospital you are looking into does not provide the classes I was told to check out other hospitals in your area- even civilian and it should somehow be covered or something. Don't take my word though, that's my grapevine word that people have told me.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

The Family Advocacy center is where I had my OB orientation and where the classes are through here. The hospital that I'm delivering at has classes that we are looking into. I'm just not thrilled at the fact I have to drive over an hour to get there after Hubby gets out of work. At this point there might not be any space. The hopsital is the only one in a LARGE area that does deliveries. We are thinking about just reading books and looking at stuff online and skipping the classes. My Hubby is attending a Dad's class on base so hopefully we'll get some good information out of that.

Thanks for the info!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"