Stay at Home Moms
Options

Freaking out - Mirena and pregnancy

Okay.  I hope this is all in my head.  It has to be.

I have a Mirena IUD, and have for about 2.5 years.  I check the strings about once a month, or so.  I still get periods, but they are irratic.  They may be short/long/heavy/light.  There is no rhyme or reason to them.  I am just happy when I get something. Mirena is one of the most effective forms of birth control. Once Mirena is placed, it is over 99% effective and works consistently to prevent pregnancy, so there should be no reason to worry...or so I thought...

Monday I started getting this nausea, and was on and off until Tuesday mid-day when I ended up puking.  I didn't feel sick, like with the flu and no one else I was around got sick.  I passed it off as something I ate.  But in the back of my head I have this little feeling.  Since then, I haven't been too nauseous, but have been crampy and my boobs have been tingly.  Plus, I haven't felt like drinking.  That's huge.  Maybe it is all in my head.  But my intuition is creepy like that.

I POAS on Tuesday night, just because I was freaking myself out and it was negative.  But continue to have these symptoms. 

I look at the probability that I am pregnant and it is like less than 8 out of 1,000. 

Do you or do you know of anyone who has gotten preggo with Mirena?  What was the end result and steps that were taken?  Wondering if it is time to call my Dr. just to check it out.  What would you do?

Anyone can be cool, but awesome takes practice!

Re: Freaking out - Mirena and pregnancy

• Options
    I am also sweatin it out till I get my period this month so I'll sweat with you but...I have heard that if you are having symptoms, you have enough pregnancy hormone to have a positive test. Maybe that will put your mind at ease till you figure out what is going on.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I know of 1 person but their Mirena IUD had fallen out,  they had an uncomplicated pregnancy and a healthy baby boy :)

I'd say poas Sat. morning first thing. If it's negative you're most likely not (hcg typically doubles every 48-72 hrs, if it's not high enough for a test to read by then it's really unlikely though not impossible). If you're still worried on Monday call the dr. and see if you can go in and see what they say.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

imagehellopoppyseed:
    I am also sweatin it out till I get my period this month so I'll sweat with you but...I have heard that if you are having symptoms, you have enough pregnancy hormone to have a positive test. Maybe that will put your mind at ease till you figure out what is going on.

Okay GTK...that does make me feel a bit better. Here's to a quick period.

• Options
    imagehopecounts:

I know of 1 person but their Mirena IUD had fallen out,  they had an uncomplicated pregnancy and a healthy baby boy :)

I'd say poas Sat. morning first thing. If it's negative you're most likely not (hcg typically doubles every 48-72 hrs, if it's not high enough for a test to read by then it's really unlikely though not impossible). If you're still worried on Monday call the dr. and see if you can go in and see what they say.

That is a good plan.  I like it.  You're right about the HCG levels.  Thank you.

• Options
    I don't know of anyone who is pregnant or has been pregnant with Mirena. But I do know that it's very dangerous to concieve while using Mirena. So if you suspect you are, I would call and make an appointment with your OB. Good luck and keep us updated!
    First BFP April 2011, EDD 01/11/11, MMC June 20, 2011 D&C June 20, 2011 Second BFP September 23, 20011 CP diagnosed September 26, 2011 PAL/PGAL welcome
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options

imageannabell687:
    I don't know of anyone who is pregnant or has been pregnant with Mirena. But I do know that it's very dangerous to concieve while using Mirena. So if you suspect you are, I would call and make an appointment with your OB. Good luck and keep us updated!

To your point...that is why I am freaking out.  Among other reasons:  we were done having kids, sold all our baby stuff, etc...

• Options
    I dont have any advice but I was an IUD baby- it does happen...
  • Options

I was an IUD baby too - but that was nearly 40 years ago.  I trust that there have been enough improvements in IUDs that I have a Mirena.

Good luck.  And if you are pregnant, please be careful - my mom almost lost me when they took the IUD out.

• Options
    Call your gynecologist. Yes it is possible to get pregnant. Remember nothing is 100% except not having sex.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"