April 2011 Moms

Throw away your walkers

This is a handout my pedi gave me. I knew they didn't actually help babies walk and I knew they could fall downstairs but I didn't know the AAP wants babies to never use them and it's such a big deal I get a handout from the pedi. Apparently there dangerous for lots of reasons. Who knew?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Throw away your walkers

• What are other reasons to not use them?  Do you have a link?  Does this mean just walkers or walker-type things in general (like an exersaucer or jumparoo)?  I'm interested.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageLittleDelany:
    What are other reasons to not use them?  Do you have a link?  Does this mean just walkers or walker-type things in general (like an exersaucer or jumparoo)?  I'm interested.

It's just walkers, exersaucers & jumperoos are still OK. https://www.healthychildren.org/english/safety-prevention/at-home/Pages/Baby-Walkers-A-Dangerous-Choice.aspx

Wallace is a big brother!
    imageimage
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Baby walkers are completely banned in Canada, it's a criminal offence to buy, sell or even give them away for your own use.  It's because babies would fall down stairs or knock over large objects with them.

• I'd also heard that it can stunt the growth of certain muscles that help them walk. This was by a health professional (although not a doctor). The doctor hasnt mentioned it yet. I'm sure she will though.
  • imagefreeerin:

Baby walkers are completely banned in Canada, it's a criminal offence to buy, sell or even give them away for your own use.  It's because babies would fall down stairs or knock over large objects with them.

Yeah they've been banned here for years.. I'm pretty sure they were banned before my niece was born and that was 6 years ago. Researching into it.. retailers stopped selling them voluntarily in 1989 but people bought them elsewhere (in the US) or got them at flea markets, from family etc. In 2004 the Canadian government put an official government forced ban on them because there were still too many baby walker related injuries (1000 every year.. almost 3 injuries every day).

That would explain why I can't remember the last time I saw a baby walker in someone's house, because I was 12 when they were voluntarily banned. I'm actually surprised it's taken this long for them to at least be questioned in the US. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • When my sister was a baby (she's 4 years younger than me) she was in a walker and someone (my brother) left the door to the basement open and she fell down the stairs.  Thankfully, she was okay.  It was really scary though.  It was an unfinished basement with a cement floor, so it could have been so much worse!
    IAmPregnant Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I didn't realize they were banned in Canada! DD (2 years old now-used it from about 6-11 months) had one and absolutely loved it. I was always right next to her while she was scooting around. She was never in it for more than 15 minutes at a time though so I'm not concerned about the muscle development thing. She crawled and walked on a normal schedule. Our pedi never mentioned them one way or another.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"