Special Needs
Options

XP: Is this a stutter, or normal toddler-ese?

Hi there, I usually hang out on 12-24, but I thought you guys might have more insight.

DS is 21 months old and has really good receptive and expressive language.  He has well over a hundred words now.  However, quite often when he's asking for something, he will repeat the first part of it over and over again before finally getting the whole thing out.  For example, when he's asking to be "all done", he will say "ah-dah, ah-dah, ah-dah, ah-dah, ah done?"

He also will repeat a word or phrase over and over again even after I've acknowledged what he said, answered his question, or given him what he wants.

Are these things normal for toddlers?  Or is it a form of a stutter?

Thanks!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: XP: Is this a stutter, or normal toddler-ese?

• Options
    Hi there- I'm a speech pathologist. Stuttering is very normal for this age and it is most likely going to go away. That being said DO NOT call any attention to it or tell him to slow down. Maintain normal eye contact and do not finish sentences for him. Advise any other caretakers to do the same. You may notice it is worse when he is tired or excited. It may stick around for a few months or come and go for a bit but it is most likely a phase that he will grow out of and there are no interventions you should be trying right now. I know it is a little scary-  just try to be patient! 
  • Options
    Thank you SO much!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"