Pregnant after 35

CVS yesterday

Whew....unfunnish.

Went to the Big City to see THE CVS Guy.  Went very quickly (even though my bladder did not necessarily agree).  Glad we decided to do it because I've heard a jillion NT Screen horror stories.  Will be even gladder on Mon when we get prelim results.  Giving it up big time to the Man Upstairs because no bleeding, spotting or anything.  Feeling crampish but kinda used to that by now. 

LO was chilling on its back with both arms over head. We saw a little nose bone ridge so that's a good sign too.  After a little jiggle, we even got a roll over with the cutest little microscopic tushie I've ever seen in my LIFE.  We got a 3D print out pic of that bad boy and it will be all over the interwebs in about 2 weeks when we get to tell folks.  Can't believe the first time we met DH and I got mooned Big Smile

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: CVS yesterday

• Somehow when getting mooned in this situation seems to be a perfect greeting....LOL

Our LO does the same thing all the time.  Little tush right at us every single time.  Like a wave or smile - I just say that he takes after his Daddy!!!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers BabyName Ticker
  • Yes for cutie baby tooshies! It wont be the last full moon you see!

Glad your test is over. I was so relieved having it done. :)

• Loading the player...
  • bigv44bigv44 member

:-)

Sorry, I am new... What is CVS?

:-) LOL

• YAY!  I dunno, I think even with the giant needle it's fun, if only because of teh ultrasound!  :)
    You are likely to be eaten by a grue. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Glad to hear it went well! Sounds like everything looks good!
  • imagebigv44:

:-)

Sorry, I am new... What is CVS?

:-) LOL

Chorionic Villius Sampling.  They take a sample of the placenta to get DNA.  They take from the placenta because back when swimmers met egg the baby and placenta were the same bunch of cells (see, I listened to my genetic counselor).

They then do a DNA test to see if the baby has Down's or other genetic issues.  Bonus is that you find out what you're having almost 10 weeks than waiting for an ultrasound or amnio.  And the quality of the amnio is way better than standard dr's office, hence my first Full Moon exposure.  Which was AWESOME.  Did I mention it was the cutest butt ever?  Cause it was....

• bigv44bigv44 member
    Thanks so much for that info.  I am nervous now, I am 37yrs old & will be 38 in Sept.  Do you think I will need this testing?
  • imagebigv44:
    Thanks so much for that info.  I am nervous now, I am 37yrs old & will be 38 in Sept.  Do you think I will need this testing?

It's optional.  Heck, just about all the tests are optional.  Some people opt to go for the NT (nuchal translucency) scan plus bloodwork only, some go CVS or amnio only, and some do the NT and then an amnio if the results of the NT make them nervous.

The NT scan is non-invasive, the others involve giant needles in your uterus.  We went for the giant needles, but everyone is different.  I'd ask your doctor what he or she advises. 

You are likely to be eaten by a grue. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • imagebigv44:

Talk to your doctor about it.  Most insurance policies cover it for moms over 35.  There are 3 options - CVS, NT Scan and bloodwork, and Amnio.  I list them in that order b/c CVS is the earliest one that can be done. 

CVS and Amnio are diagnostic tests.  They are invasive (needle in your belly), and have some risk of miscarriage (which varies by test and doctor doing the test). 

NT Scan, which can be done between weeks 11 and 13, is not invasive, but it not diagnostic either.  Rather it gives you your odds for Downs based on measurements of the baby's neck during an ultra sound. Your odds of Trisomony 13 and 18 come from the bloodwork that they do around the same time.  If your odds turn out to be not so good, then you can opt to do an Amnio to get a diagnosis.

Many women, who wouldn't terminate the pregnancy, regardless of the results of the tests, decide to skip the testing all together.  Some decide to do the testing even if they wouldn't terminate in order to prepare themselves.  So you'll need to think about what you are comfortable doing. 

image"">image"">imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"