April 2011 Moms
Options

Baby weight gain ~ or lack of.

My little guy was 8.12 when he was born. I just weighed him the other day and he was 13.2, which to me doesn't seem like alot. I went on line and it said they shoud double their birth weight by 4 months, which he is has not. He is EBF, and seems happy and content. I don't know if I should start giving him a supplement bottle, but I really don't want to mess with my supply.

Re: Baby weight gain ~ or lack of.

• Options
    If your LO is happy and seems to be satisfied with your supply, I would wait until the 4 month check up & discuss with your pedi what they think.  All babies are different & you may just have a small baby.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    BJKLBJKL member

I agree with the above poster.  If your LO is content then don't worry about it.  My DD was 9lb 2oz when she was born and there is NO WAY she is going to weigh 18.5 lbs in a few weeks.  She weighs 13 at the most right now.  It really depends on the baby.  I think that babies who are bigger when they are born probably dont gain as much afterwards.

Here is a link from Dr Sears that talks about BF babies gaining 1-2 lbs per month until 6 months.

https://www.askdrsears.com/topics/breastfeeding/faq%E2%80%99s-about-milk-supply-and-breastfeeding-challenges/how-much-weight-will-my

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ideal according to my pedi and LC is 5-7oz/week, or an oz a day.  My LO wasn't gaining well, and it was a LOT of work to fix, so if I were you, I would schedule a weight check, AND call your LC.  She can help you pack on some weight without messing with your supply.  (Rule is with my LC that whenever LO gets a bottle, I have to pump).

BFP#1 "Watermelon" born 3/2011
    BFP#2 "Pumpkin" 7/14/12 ~ EDD 3/23/13 ~ Natural M/C 8/3/12 @ 7 weeks
    BFP#3 "Pineapple"  born 4/2013
    BFP#4 "Grapefruit" EDD 3/29/16
  • Options

I thought it was double by 6 months. Even then, that is just a rough estimate. Your baby has gained over 5 lbs since birth I'm assuming they're about 3 months old. That sounds pretty "normal" to me. At Nora's 3 month appointment, she was up 5 lbs, 9 oz from her birth weight, and the pedi was happy with that.

I wouldn't be too worried about it until the doctor says something about it.

Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• Options

What was his lowest weight? Like a day after he was born.  And yeah it's normally double by 6 months and triple by a year.

Also your scale can be reading differently than the scale he was measured on.  Just wait until his 4 month appt and see what happens then. 

image Ethan 12.31.07 Lillian 4.1.11
  • Options
    Are you feeding on demand? If so and baby is happy, I wouldn't worry about it. If you're trying to have him on some kind of feeding schedule, I'd ditch that and start feeding whenever he's hungry.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"