Working Moms
Options

Can you negotiate daycare price?

Has anyone ever tried to negotiate the listed price for daycare?  There are two daycare centers that we really like, but they are both over our budget. 

I was not sure if daycares would normally negotiate with us, or if the prices are usually set in stone (and would they laugh me out of the building)?

If you have tried/did negotiate the price, how did you go about doing that?  Thanks for your help.

Re: Can you negotiate daycare price?

• Options
    Depends on how badly they need business. Neither center that I've used would have negotiated prices though.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

We've had DD in a DC since she was 9 months old. For the first couple of months we paid $175 a week. DH was then laid off, and we began looking for a less expensive DC since we couldn't afford it.

I was honest with our DC and they matched the price of the less expensive DC. We are now paying $132  a week, and didn't have to transfer DC.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    DS goes to a national chain center.  We have been there since they opened and know the owners fairly well.  I asked for a 10% discount this month (after almost 2 years) and he gave it to me.

• Options

I honestly don't know if I would do business with someone who discounts for the best haggler.  Something about it just doesn't sit right.  Some places do have spots for low income families and might have programs for the same, but you would likely have to qualify and prove need.

If price is your priority, then shop around far and wide. 

promised myself I'd retire when I turned gold, and yet here I am
  • Options

Thanks for the input everyone.  DH's dental hygienist told him a few days ago that when she was looking for daycare, the one she really liked was $1,200 and she told them she couldn't afford that.  The daycare gave it to her for a little over $800.

I just didn't know if it was the norm to even bring up this conversation with the daycares, but after you ladies have responded, I now see that it isn't the norm.

I guess I'll just have to decide if I really like these daycares enough to dip into savings every month to pay for it.  We've toured about 9 daycares (close to our house, on the way to DH's job, and on the way to my job).  There's one that's "OK" in our price range (I would feel comfortable leaving LO there, but not my first choice).

I'll keep thinking about it.  We're not starting daycare until March (and none of the centers we toured told us they had a waiting list, so I don't need to rush into it).

• Options

Maybe this makes me a snot, but I'd personally be pissed if I found out that other people with kids in DS's class were paying a lot less per week than I was.  It's not like I relish paying as much as I do for tuition, but I do it because that was the price I was told and I felt like they were worth it.  I wasn't told that tuition was based on a sliding scale.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageMaybride2:

Maybe this makes me a snot, but I'd personally be pissed if I found out that other people with kids in DS's class were paying a lot less per week than I was.  It's not like I relish paying as much as I do for tuition, but I do it because that was the price I was told and I felt like they were worth it.  I wasn't told that tuition was based on a sliding scale.

Exactly this. I feel fortunate that we got into the best DC in the area, but we have to pay for that quality. If others were getting it for less (which I'm sure they are not bc there a waiting list) I would not be happy.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"