May 2011 Moms

How do you do it?

My baby is a crier.  He wasn't at the start... but for the last couple weeks, he is.  If he's awake, he cries unless we are standing and rocking/bouncing him.  It's exhausting.  I pray for him to sleep, but he fights his naps (which I think may be a big part of the problem).  I try music, tummy time, his play gym mat thingy, reading to him, talking to him, playing with his little arms and legs, going for a walk outside (he can only take the heat for a few minutes, though, then he cries again), showing him new things around the house.  I try quiet time, dark rooms, shushing, swaddling, swinging, laying him on his side, white noise, sucking (he refuses paci and won't always take breast, unless he's hungry).  He hates the carseat.

When he wakes up in the morning, he is happy. At night, he'll typically sleep for anywhere from 5-7 hours (most times 7), wake up to eat and go back to sleep for another 3-5 hours.  And after all that, he's happy.  He'll smile and talk to me.  For a short while.  But once he starts crying, it's like he forgets how to stop.  

It's really starting to get to me.  I dread the first sound of his cry, because I already feel like there's no way I'll be able to figure out what he needs and get him to stop.   But I can't just let him lay there and cry, either.  My husband feels like if we know his needs are met (clean/dry, fed, etc), then he should be allowed to cry without us holding/bouncing/standing.  I just can't do it, though.  He's not even two months old... I feel terrible that I can't figure out what's bothering him.  I know it's irrational, but I feel like I should be able to figure it out, as his mom.

Colic is supposed to be evenings only.  This isn't.  I've modified my diet all I can - no dairy, no chicken, no pork, no egg... not even hidden.  I don't typically eat stuff with soy in it, anyway, as I'm allergic.  He does get gassy and I do my best to help him work it out - tummy massage, gas drops, slight tummy pressure, etc.  He doesn't have AR, as far as I know - no symptoms.  He'll occasionally spit up a little, but that's it (maybe once a day).  No pain to go along with it.  He used to be SUCH a good napper, but now he fights them.  I think that could be the cause of all of this (nothing else seems to fit), but I don't know how to get him to nap anymore!  It literally used to be as easy as swaddling him, turning on the sleep sheep and putting him in his swing.  I'd do that at the first yawn or rub of the eyes and he'd swing for a little bit and then doze off for a few hours.  Now he just cries.  

Anyway - if you made it this far, you deserve a slice of cake.  I just don't know what to do... of course, I'll ask the pedi at Gabe's 2 month appointment next Friday.  And if I really start to lose it between now and then, I'll call them.

Boy #1, born 6/5/2011
Boy #2, born 8/27/2014

Currently... Pregnant with mo/di BOY TWINS!  Due September 15.  Latest induction will be 37w.

Re: How do you do it?

• I would call your pedi now...mine is very understanding of new mom things like this!

Could you maybe let him cry for just two minutes?  You know he's not hurt, so just put him in his bed and walk outside for two minutes.  You'll get to clear your head a little and deal with it better.

I can't do CIO either, but I could for two or maybe five minutes to avoid going crazy myself.  Good luck and hugs!

• imagepook:

I would call your pedi now...mine is very understanding of new mom things like this!

Could you maybe let him cry for just two minutes?  You know he's not hurt, so just put him in his bed and walk outside for two minutes.  You'll get to clear your head a little and deal with it better.

I can't do CIO either, but I could for two or maybe five minutes to avoid going crazy myself.  Good luck and hugs!

this and I went through a stage for a few weeks of DS doing exactly this. It will pass but make sure you have some help and give yourself a few minutes away or you will loose your mind. It's hard, my DH would take him and I'd go to the bathroom and cry ( I was so tired) for a few minutes then I felt better and could deal with DS again

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • It could be colic.  Colic usually causes crying in the evenings, but sometimes it's all day or at other times of day.  Check out this article: https://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/fussybaby.html
    Married to my best friend 6/5/10
    BFP #1 9/7/10, EDD 5/14/11, Violet born 5/27/11.
    BFP #2 4/9/12, EDD 12/16/12, M/C Rory 4/24/12.
    BFP #3 10/6/12, EDD 6/16/12., Matilda born 6/17/13.
  • elisbuelisbu member
    imagepook:

I would call your pedi now...mine is very understanding of new mom things like this!

This!

Also, how do you try to nap him? My DD would never nap if I tried to put her on her back. She is a tummy sleeper and is a different baby from when I used to try to force her on her back.

Also, AR can be silent. My DD almost never spit up, but you would hear/feel a burp that would bring up a little bit of her stomach with it. Then she would cry because it burned.

Also, like Pook said, 2 minutes of crying won't hurt him (APA says 10-15 minutes wont hurt, but I would not be able to do that) Go out side where you can't hear him and then you might be able to handle it better.

I am so sorry, it sounds like colic to me though.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagekacelle:
    It could be colic.  Colic usually causes crying in the evenings, but sometimes it's all day or at other times of day.  Check out this article: https://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/fussybaby.html

This.  I would call your pedi and explain the situation and see what advice he/she can provide.

I also agree that you should let the baby CIO for a couple of minutes.  Its hard to do but you really need your sanity.

Hope it gets better

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"