Adoption

book recommendations

Hi ladies!  Can you recommend good books to prepare for a newborn, with an adoption focus?  My brother and his wife are adopting, and she is getting discouraged by books that have inadequate sections on adoption. Thanks in advance!

Re: book recommendations

• I never found one that combines adoption and newborn info.  I had the normal baby books and some about adoption that didnt' really address the issues of adoption. (Sounds like there could be a market... maybe one of us needs to write it!)

If your brother and sis want support or info about the first few days, invite them to join us here.  We love supporting new parents and giving our tips on the first few days!

image Best friends and sisters... 24 months and 16 months
  • Preparing for a newborn is preparing for a newborn.  Adoption or not.  :)

Many books do touch on the subject -- Jo Frost's book comes to mind as well as What to Expect.  But you're doing the same thing in preparation for a baby either way -- with adoption, you just don't have to worry about the childbirth aspect (although if you get to witness it, it is helpful to have read those portions so you have some idea of what's going on).  Otherwise, you have the same feeding choices, sleeping choices, bathing choices, and diapering choices as every other parent on the planet.  The preparation is no different.

If they're looking for adoption related parenting books in general -- there are quite a few in the FAQ's and they can also search for parenting and adoption (and their specific situation) on Amazon and get some excellent recommendations there.  Example, if they're concerned about parenting a child who is not their race, she might try Secret Thoughts of An Adoptive Mother.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"