Pre-School and Daycare
Options

Class size in preschools

I visited a preschool for my daughter to attend in the Fall. I loved it, except I wasn't sure about the class size. There will be nine 2 and a half year olds in my daughter's class, and one teacher. Do you think that's too many kids for one teacher to handle? There is another program that is second on my list, and they only have 6 kids to one teacher. I am wondering if that would be better. What do you think? Thanks!

Re: Class size in preschools

• Options
    that's a lot of 2 1/2 y/os.  9?  does she have an assistant?  our dc's old preschool had a ratio of 4-5 for every one teacher. some states have laws or guidelines for preschool/daycare classroom size.  I'd want a smaller ratio for a 2 or 3 y/o class. 
  • Options
    I taught at a school that offered daycare and the 2 year old program followed the state ratio (texas) which was 1 teacher to 10 children. Now what was crazy was they would instead fill the classroom with 2 teachers and 20 children. I would never, ever recommend that situation. I think 10 kids would be manageable and fine but personally would be more interested in the class with 6 if the price was the same.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Our DS1 goes to private school for prek.  They have about 11-12 kids in each prek class (there's two).  But, they have one lead teacher and one assistant teacher.  They start at age 3 and 4 then on to kindergarden.

I think if there's only one teacher it would be better to go small, until kindergarden. 

BabyFruit TickerLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers image image
  • Options

Last year DD1 was in a 2 y.o. class with one teacher and one assistant for 10 kids. The class sizes get a little bigger as they get older but they still have two teachers.

I agree that a second teacher is important not only for potty breaks but for anything that might come up and demand the teacher's attention.

Emily 11.29.2007 | Kate 4.3.2010 | James 8.22.2013
  • Options
    I'm sure the ratios vary from state to state, but there are regulations they have to follow.  DS1 was in daycare until 28m.  The toddler room was ages 16-33 months, and the ratio was 7 to 1.  He didn't go to preschool at 2 1/2, but in the 3's program, the standard ration I found at all the places we considered was 10 to 1, all with 2 teachers and up to 20 kids.  The program we're at has 2 fully licensed teachers, whereas many programs have a teacher and assistant.  The smaller the ratio the better!  But in your case, you also have to think about who the teacher is, what the program is like, etc. 
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My daycare has a max of 20 kids with 2 teachers - it is not often that all 20 kids are actually there though.  I think the ratio of 1 teacher for every 10 years is the same from around around 2 1/2 or 3 until they start kindy.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • Options
    DD goes to a Montessori school, there are 22 kids in the class (age 2.5 - 6) and 2 teachers.  1 teacher/10 kids seems like the norm for most preschools I think.
    you
    I miss you lite-brite!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"