Natural Birth

XP: My cousin wants to induce labor early.

Because she is uncomfortable, not for a medical reason. I am trying to find some links for her, because she asked what I thought, and I don't want to just scream NO at her face... I'm finding mostly opinion-pages and not fact-pages. Can anyone help me out? Some old bookmarks maybe? TIA!!!She is 37 weeks along.  ETA: I tried the scare tactic right off, spouting off that induction increases the possibility of other interventions, forceps, vacuum extraction, c-section, etc. I'm glad that she's asking for opinions because I honestly think she's just uneducated. I'd really like to present some facts from reliable sources so it's not just her crazy-AP cousin. You know?  
imageimageimage

Re: XP: My cousin wants to induce labor early.

• NPR just had this article on early inductions. It has some good anecdotal advice along with statistics. At one point the article says:

"It's now really well-documented in national studies that the risk of the baby having to require intensive care in a neonatal intensive care unit ? even the risk of infant death ? is increased when the baby is born as little as two weeks before the due date" 

If this isn't enough to change her mind I don't know what else to tell you. Good luck!

September 2011 Mom's Siggy Challenge- Celebrate! imageLilypie Maternity tickers
  • imagedawn3513:

NPR just had this article on early inductions. It has some good anecdotal advice along with statistics. At one point the article says:

"It's now really well-documented in national studies that the risk of the baby having to require intensive care in a neonatal intensive care unit ? even the risk of infant death ? is increased when the baby is born as little as two weeks before the due date" 

If this isn't enough to change her mind I don't know what else to tell you. Good luck!

I responded on the AP board but wanted to add that this was surprising me to me:

" 'Thirty-seven weeks is term, but they became the most common occupants of neonatal intensive care nurseries,' says Iams". 

Yikes! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Here is a NY Times article that talks about a study showing that babies born at 37 weeks are twice as likely to die before their first birthday than babies born at 40 weeks.  The article links to the medical journal abstract too.

ETA: Here is an article from Childbirth Instructor magazine about the risks of induction.

This March of Dimes link talks about the increased c-section risk (double) and says that the ACOG cautions against induction before 39 weeks.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

med-free birth x2, breastfeeding, baby wearing SAHM
    My BFP Chart

• Also, ACOG says "Unless a problem occurs, labor induction is not done before 39 weeks of pregnancy."  which is found on this page which also lays out some of the risks. 

• How is she going to find someone to induce her? 
    promised myself I'd retire when I turned gold, and yet here I am
  • imageridesbuttons:
    How is she going to find someone to induce her? 

She just said to me "I'm going to ask my doctor about inducing me this week at my appt on __. What is your opinion?"  I'm just hoping her doctor isn't a complete fool. 

Thank you for these articles - they are perfect and I am pretty sure we changed her mind!  :]

imageimageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"