Preemies

Bouncers for Preemies?

Hi,

I have a 7 wk old (3 wks adjusted) born @ 35 wks due to IUGR and pre-e.  He stayed in the hospital for 31 days as a feeder/grower.  He's been home for 3 wks now and is doing great.  He's about 6.5 lbs now. 

When we left the NICU they told us not to use bouncers or swings for 2 months.  It was on their generic discharge sheet that they give everyone.  I am thinking that this is because many preemies have respiratory problems?  But, my LO never had any and passed the carseat test etc. 

The pediatrician said I could use them but not to let him stay in there for more than 20 minutes at a time.  And the nurse said they are a SIDS risk?  I've never heard this and have had tons of friends whose newborns LIVED in bouncers and swings (the soft papasan types that recline almost completely of course). I know preemies are different, but I feel like at 3 wks adjusted he should be fine in a bouncer or swing for an hour or so.

Any thoughts?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Bouncers for Preemies?

• kck329kck329 member
    I've never heard any of that before. My NICU had both swings and bouncers for the babies to use so they were not always in their cribs. I think as long as you aren't leaving your son alone in the bouncer/swing for long and he isn't in it all day, you are fine.
  • I think the fear with Preemies is that they could slouch their head and neck together and restrict their airways. My twins are now adjusted age 2 months and use their bouncy seats, but only for about 20-30 minutes at a time...when A was still in the NICU they would leave her in it for longer if she was comfortable.

I don't think either of mine would tolerate being in a bouncy seat for and hour, but their swings are a different story, somedays that is all they want to do.

TTC #1 since 4/2007... MFI (low motility/low Testosterone) & PCOS IVF #1 August 2010...BFP 1st sono shows TWINS!!!! Due May 23rd 2011 Ruptured @ 21 weeks (Jan 13) Delivered 26 weekers (Blake and Addison) on Valentine's Day... Keeping faith and praying, God has a plan and we just have to learn to follow. Our Blog ... ourvalentinesdaysurprise.blogspot.com Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Gabe was born at 31 weeks and when he was fussy in the NICU they put him in the swing. 

We put him in the following swing and the RNP. 

Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• imagekck329:
    I've never heard any of that before. My NICU had both swings and bouncers for the babies to use so they were not always in their cribs. I think as long as you aren't leaving your son alone in the bouncer/swing for long and he isn't in it all day, you are fine.

This

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image
  • We were never told anything like that. I can't imagine the positioning in a bouncer or swing would be any different than a car seat. If your LO passed the car seat challenge I wouldn't worry. Just don't leave them in there all day obviously.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • blue33blue33 member
    imageJakesBride07:

I think the fear with Preemies is that they could slouch their head and neck together and restrict their airways. My twins are now adjusted age 2 months and use their bouncy seats, but only for about 20-30 minutes at a time...when A was still in the NICU they would leave her in it for longer if she was comfortable.

I don't think either of mine would tolerate being in a bouncy seat for and hour, but their swings are a different story, somedays that is all they want to do.

This exactly!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • This is a picture of my baby when he first came home at 6 lbs in his Baby Einstein bouncer.  It said that we could start using it at 6 lbs.  It was a little big at first, but he still takes naps in it.  I think that it is smart to just watch it, and we usually took off the bar with the music. 

imageimageLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image BFP on 07/18/08. Miscarriage 07/30/08. BFP 3/25/09. Confirmed second miscarriage, no heartbeat, no growth beyond 7 weeks, 5/19/09. TTC again, on baby aspirin, due to value of 23 on Anticardiolipin Antibodies. BFP 11/15/09. Brown spotting, Beta 3735 11/25/09, Beta 5602 11/28/09. Anticardiolipin Antibodies now negative, still on baby asprin. On 100 mg of Prometrium (progesterone) until 10 weeks. Good heartbeat at 1st appt. 12/16/09. Started taking fish oil. Perigestational hemorrhage and red bleeding 12/17/09. 2nd Ultrasound-8 weeks, still a heartbeat 12/17/09. Baby measured 9 weeks, still a heartbeat 12/23/09. Good NT Scan on 1/8/10, heartbeat 164. EDD 7/28/10. TEAM BLUE! Aidan Thomas born on May 26, 2010. Baby #2, BFP 11/27/11, EDD 6/5/12. TEAM PINK! Noelle Elizabeth born 4/30/12. Blessing from God, Blessing from God, Blessing from God, Blessing from God.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"