Natural Birth

OB vs Midwife if hope for natural but want option for epi

I was 100% positive with my son that I wanted to have the epidural and didn't care to plan how my delivery went.  I just wanted him born healthy and happy.  But now that we are thinking about baby #2, I look back and know there's so many things I want when we get pg. 

I'm hoping to avoid an epidural, because it made me feel miserable and I hated being immobile for the next 24hrs.  And I'm hoping to be able to labor in positions besides sitting in bed or walking in circles.  But I also want to be able to change my mind and have an epidural if I decide I need to.

So, any recommendations on OB vs midwife when I want the option to do either still available?  And any specific OBs or midwives in the WichitaKS area anyone would recommend?

Thanks 

Re: OB vs Midwife if hope for natural but want option for epi

• Look for a certified nurse midwife who delivers in a hospital. You will have the option of an epi then. Do still interview your CNM though, not all are so natural friendly (I know, weird).
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Slings at Nurtured Family
  • imagesoon2bjmn:
    Look for a certified nurse midwife who delivers in a hospital. You will have the option of an epi then. Do still interview your CNM though, not all are so natural friendly (I know, weird).

Yeah, I went the CNM option because I wanted a midwife, but my husband insisted on delivering at a hospital. The first CNM I went to, though, was very against my choice to avoid medication. I was expecting some granola nibbling, fuzzy haired hippy-style midwife (don't flame, I truly mean that it the best way possible, that's the style I was hoping for) and instead, this tiny woman who reminded me of my high school science teacher walked in and pretty much told me how the rest of my pregnancy and labor would go! My husband and I freaked! He said, 'That's not a midwife' and we left. So definitely snoop around. I eventually found a CNM that worked with an OB, and I've been with them since. They're great! Very labor pro-choice. Good luck!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Loading the player...
  • Depends on where you deliver. If you are delivering at a hospital and your midwife has prevliages there then you will have access to an epi should you want it. That is how it is at the hospital I work at.

• There's a discussion about md/midwife in the FAQ in my siggy.
  • There is only one CNM in all of Wichita, Sharon Foster.  I have my first appointment with her in 2 weeks, so I can let you know how I like her then :)

I have heard super great things about Dr. Daran Jensen.  I almost went with him because I'm worried that I might get risked out of a midwife attended birth.  Last time I had severe swelling and borderline high hypertension, and my water broke just shy of 37 weeks.  I don't know if my situation with DS would have necessitated OB care, but the experience has made me a little more worried that complications may arise.  However, I decided to try Sharon Foster first.  They are in the same practice, so I figured that if I do need to go to an OB, I will ask to transfer to Jensen's care. 

Hilary
    imageimage
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am going for a Natural Birth; however, my MW is in a practice with a NP and OB, and I am delivering at a hospital (with the lowest C-section in the state) so I am getting as close to a birth center/home birth as I can but with the full medical protection should I need.

Essentially, I will pretty much be left alone unless I request something or there is a true medical emergency. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Me (33) DH (32) WFHM * Coffee & Beach Addict *Running is my Paxil*
  • I will also throw out that I delivered with a family doctor, which was a great middle road for me. She was great - very hands off and happy to let me birth my way - but being in a hospital with a doctor left all my options open.
  • I think it comes done to the individual person rather than their title.    Look for recommendations and interview them.   GL!
  • FalinyFaliny member
    I started with an OB and then at 22 weeks switched to their midwives in the practice. Luckily my Midwife work at the practice that is at a hospital, so it makes it much simpler. I hope to go natural, but I know I can ask for pain meds at any time if need be.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagesoon2bjmn:
    Look for a certified nurse midwife who delivers in a hospital. You will have the option of an epi then.
    This, we don't have CPM's here where I live so it's only CNM's, and they give you the choice of hospital vs home, and offer you everything that would be available to you if you had an OB if you choose the hospital.  

I have heard of some cnm's in the US only delivering at hospitals though so I guess make sure you get one who gives you options.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"