Georgia Babies

Colin got fitted for glasses yesterday :-/

Man have I been on the emotional roller coaster of mom guilt. I finally got him into Dr. Lipsky at Thomas Eye Group. He was wonderful. It was determined that his vision is different between his eyes. He is too far sighted on the one side. He basically has a mild form of what I have had since I was 18 months old. Thankfully he will not need surgery but he will need glasses permanently. I am SO sad for him that he will have vision issues the way that I did/do. I know a lot of kids wear glasses but a lot of that is for something they grow out of. He won't grow out of this. Maybe it's more common now to be a kid with glasses but it stunk when I was growing up and I hated how I looked. I was just really hoping that DH's portion of the gene pool would kick in. Hopefully his genes will prevent braces b/c I had those too. HIs glasses will be in next week. I hope he wears them and I hope they help him. I teared up multiple times yesterday, including when we were trying on glasses. I remember how much I disliked wearing glasses so it makes me sad that he will have to too. I do have to say that the selection is much better now than it was. He will take it in stride. He tried on a black pair and said "look mommy, I'm Mr. Potato head" lol. 

Sorry this was long it's hard to be told that there is something 'wrong' with your child, I am glad that this is something very minor that in the grand scheme of things and life is no big deal.  

Colin Patrick-7/14/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers imageimageLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Colin got fitted for glasses yesterday :-/

• I'm so sorry that this is bringing up old/bad emotions, but it sounds like Colin is doing ok with it (for now).  I do think it's more common for young children to wear glasses, so I think that definitely helps...How funny he said "mr. potato head"  We see Dr. Lipsky too, every 6 months since Darren was born.  We are monitoring his ptosis and it's not getting any better (but not significantly worse), so he will very likely be looking at eyelid surgery around 4-5 years old. He will also very likely be in glasses too, astigmatism seems to be developing in one eye.  Anyways, I kind of know what you are going through.  We want our children to be absolutely perfectly healthy in every way and it's just hard when they are not.  I can't wait to see a picture of Colin in his glasses, I'm certain he will look extra handsome! Hugs!
  • I completely feel for you, but hopefully Colin will adjust quickly.  They really do have better looking glasses than back when we were kids.  Dh and I feel like our boys are doomed to wear glasses because he was in them by the age of 7 and I was in glasses/contacts at age 16.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm sorry - I can imagine how that would bring up old feelings of discomfort!  But it is so different now, honestly.  The glasses are super cute and a lot of kids take it in stride. 

EDD 1/8/10 - our sweet sunshine DD born 12/30/09
    EDD 2/15/14 - Stillbirth at 21 wks 10/02/13
    EDD 8/12/15 - MMC 1/12/15
    EDD 12/24/15

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 

• KerrinKerrin member

I went through these exact emotions a few months ago when Carter failed his vision screening.  I freaked out. We took him to Dr. Lipsky and he indicated Carter's eyes were not working properly together.  He was fitted for glasses (bifocals), and wears a patch over his "strong" eye for 2 hours a day.  The weak eye also has a focusing problem, which in turn causes it to cross on occasion.  A few weeks ago Lipsky told me that if his eyes don't get significantly better in 3 months, that he will have to have eye surgery.  This will only correct the crossing issue, and surgery isn't always effective and he may need multiple surgeries.  It's even possible that it won't work at all.  And he will still have to wear glasses, as it will do nothing to correct his vision..

On the bright side, he's OK with his glasses.  He realizes that he can see "better" with them on, b/c now it's prompting the weak eye to actually work.  He had no depth perception, b/c only one eye was being used to see.  The glasses corrected that and he's much more confident.  His initial vision prior to glasses was 20/125.  It's now a 20/30. 

The patch has been easy.  I explained to him that it's a form of exercise for his weak eye to make it stronger.  He is the only child at school with glasses.  One child teased him about his glasses, but we nipped it in the bud immediately.  Now all of the kids wish they had glasses too, b/c they are so cool.  Ava got really upset when Lipsky checked her eyes and said she didn't need glasses.

The only thing I can tell you is to give him as much positive reinforcement as you can.  I tell Carter everyday how proud i am of him in wearing his glasses all the time and what a great job he's doing wearing his patch.  I know how upsetting it is to hear that something isn't quite right with your child, especially something as important as their eyes, but at least you are catching it early and in a few weeks, Colin probably won't even remember a time when he wasn't wearing glasses.  They adapt so quickly and are super resilient.  Don't be so hard on yourself mama!  Everything will be OK in the end.

• It will be ok. I wear glasses so I know the things kids go through. Kids are actually more understanding these days about it. I think it has to do with it being more common and kids are taught to be more accepting.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Killian got his first pair of glasses right before his 4th birthday.  He did very well with wearing them, but he's pretty much blind without them and I think he figured that out quickly.  I was expecting him to need them though, the genetics were too stacked against him.

Glasses are much cooler now than when we were kids, so he should be okay. 

• Just tell him how cool it is to wear glasses.  I think the whole "nerd" stigma is so last generation anyway.
  • I had to wear glasses when I was little too. It wasn't much fun. But now the kids at school are totally jealous of those who get to wear glasses. It is kind of refreshing and nice to see instead of kids making fun they want to try on their glasses. I hope Colin adjusts easily.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm so sorry this is bringing up bad memories for you!  But I bet he is going to look adorable with them on.  And as a kid who didn't have to wear glasses I always wanted to wear them!  I loved trying my friend's glasses on and I even had a fake "fashion" pair that I used to play with I was little.  So I am sure all the others kids will want Colin's glasses when they see him. :)
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lily  pie Second Birthday tickers
  • I'm sorry it was so painful for you, but I just want to say that my niece Gina has been in glasses since she was about 2 and I just always thought she looked SO ADORABLE in her little glasses.   Is that wrong?  Babies in glasses is just so cute and it never even occurred to me to be sad for them.  

• Thank you all! You made me feel a lot better, as you always do. I think I just had to have my sad moment and get over it. I think he will think they are cool/fun. I HOPE! The only thing I really care about is that his vision improves. I will put vanity aside. He picked out a cute dark navy blue pair. They come in next week so I will post a pic. 
    Colin Patrick-7/14/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers imageimageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Everyone has already given you great advice, so I won't repeat all the good things they said :) DD has been in glasses since she was 8 months old. At first, I was devastated, just as you were, but I quickly grew used to them. What was annoying (and still is sometimes) is all of the attention DD got/ gets in public. At first, we couldn't go ANYWHERE without someone asking if her glasses were real. Now, we just still get a ton of "oh she's so cute in her little glasses" comments when we go out. We try to downplay it so she doesn't start to feel different in any way. One thing I did want to mention is that it might help Colin's transition if he sees you or your DH in glasses. I had already given up my contacts when DD got her glasses and although I'd love to wear contacts from time to time, I feel like it's important to wear my glasses so that DD never thinks that glasses are something to avoid. It also helped her to learn how to handle them and it reinforced that she wear them all the time. She took to her glasses immediately since she was so little, and I'm sure Colin will do great, too. Good luck! :)
    ~Tiffanie~
  • imagesavannah_bride:
    Everyone has already given you great advice, so I won't repeat all the good things they said :) DD has been in glasses since she was 8 months old. At first, I was devastated, just as you were, but I quickly grew used to them. What was annoying (and still is sometimes) is all of the attention DD got/ gets in public. At first, we couldn't go ANYWHERE without someone asking if her glasses were real. Now, we just still get a ton of "oh she's so cute in her little glasses" comments when we go out. We try to downplay it so she doesn't start to feel different in any way. One thing I did want to mention is that it might help Colin's transition if he sees you or your DH in glasses. I had already given up my contacts when DD got her glasses and although I'd love to wear contacts from time to time, I feel like it's important to wear my glasses so that DD never thinks that glasses are something to avoid. It also helped her to learn how to handle them and it reinforced that she wear them all the time. She took to her glasses immediately since she was so little, and I'm sure Colin will do great, too. Good luck! :)

Thanks Tiffanie, I have been wearing my glasses the past few days for C's benefit. I have been talking to him about his cool new glasses that are coming from the special Dr that played the fun games with him. I am hoping to get him excited about them. My next door neighbor's son got glasses a few months ago so he knows that his friend W wears cool glasses too. I am hoping all of this will help him to want to wear them. I also think that once he can actually see properly it will help. I hope so b/c he is VERY stubborn and if he thinks I want him to do something he will do the complete opposite.

Thanks for posting! Ashlyn is SO SO cute!!  

• I know exactly what you mean about him not wanting to do something if he thinks you want him to! Every now and then, Ashlyn takes her glasses off and doesn't want to put them back on. We just leave her alone and I remind her that mommy is wearing her glasses and within a few minutes, she wants her back on, too. What breaks my heart is how she pulls at her eye and digs at it when I take them off her to clean them. It's like she's immediately blinded :( Colin is going to do great, though. Ashlyn asks for her glasses in the morning and is eager for me to replace them when I clean them. I'm sure he'll realize that he sees better with them and he'll be off and running! I can't wait to see a picture of him in them :) And get ready to be a freaking celebrity everywhere you go. It's better now that she has longer hair, but when she was tiny, we couldn't go ANYWHERE without at least 2-3 comments about her glasses. You'll also be surprised to hear all the people who also wore glasses as little kids and/or who know a little kid in glasses. It's much more common than I would have ever guessed.
    ~Tiffanie~
  • I'm tired so must be brief....

DJ Lance Rock may be the coolest person for kids ever.  And HE wears glasses and makes it cool for kids.

If you want to talk kids and eyes, email/call me.  I know every emotion you are going through.  If you just want to purge and cry, call me.  Get it out.  It will be okay but you will have to work through the emotions.  Collin will be a rock star.  Promise.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"