Adoption
Options

Adoption interview completed!

Today we had our application/intake interview with our adoption interview- and we passed! Now, on to the homestudy- which is scheduled for MONDAY! Yikes! And of course, I work 12 hour shifts 3 of the next four days... Our counselor told us not to worry, try and relax, and that the meeting was a chance to get to know each other- not an inspection. But, I still can't help but be nervous. One day to get the house ready- wow! I guess it is better in the sense that I don't have to worry and fret for the next few weeks, and i'm glad that the process is moving quickly so that we can start being shown sooner- but i'm just a worry wart.

Sorry to ramble, but I was hoping that someone out there would understand where I am coming from and maybe offer a few words of wisdom. I think that my husband thinks i'm a nut- of course he's "cool as a cucumber" :-) 

Unable to conceive due to emergency hysterectomy 11/04 Started our adoption journey 4/11 9/29/11- Officially waiting! 5/29/12- Our little boy is born and goes home with us the next day :-)

Re: Adoption interview completed!

• Options

The homestudy really is just a bunch of meetings getting to know you and your story.  For the most part, if you're not adopting through foster care, they just want to see your house is a safe environment for a child.  Really, what you'll be focusing on is your history, your relationship, why you want to adopt, about your expectations and openness, and what your plans are for child care, discipline, and other aspects of raising the child.  They want to see that you have a strong relationship, have discussed the important issues, and are on the same page with one another.  They want to know that you have a support system or access to local programs.  They are their to point you towards issues you may not have though of, and to help you prepare for the adoption.

The thing to keep in mind is that, as long as your home is not dangerous to a child, they want you to pass the homestudy, and will help you to do so.  I'll wish you good luck, but I'm sure you won't need it.

• Options
    Thank you so much for taking the time to write me! What you said is basically what our counselor told us, but it is nice hearing it from an impartial party :-)  One of my friends who had been thru the process for foster care said "your house should be clean, but doesn't have to be mother-in-law coming to visit clean". I thought that was a cute analogy. Thanks again!
    Unable to conceive due to emergency hysterectomy 11/04 Started our adoption journey 4/11 9/29/11- Officially waiting! 5/29/12- Our little boy is born and goes home with us the next day :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"