March 2011 Moms
Options

So - Suggestions?

Alright everybody.  I'm on child number 2, but as they say, all kids are different, and this one is throwing me through a loop in the realm of napping.  So - tell me if I just need to give up or if there's some kind of hope (and the advice that may offer that hope, please.)

My son took fo-eva (ahem - forever) to sleep through the night.  We're talking, he was like 9 months old.  But, boy, could that boy nap!  He took two, two hour naps, everyday, faithfully, from about 3 months until about 18 months (when he dropped down to one 3-4 hour nap).  His naps were consistent, were at the same time every day, and were, for the most part, pretty easy.  (And he was getting about 10-12 hours of sleep a night as well.)

Fast forward to new little beauty in the house, and she's been a 'knock-em dead' kind of night sleeper since she was about 4 weeks old, sleeping 8 straight hours at night then, and just weeks later sleeping 10-12 after that.  (And she hasn't stopped since, knock on wood. Her current night-time sleep is from about 8 pm until 6 or 6:30 a.m. most days.)

BUT - darling daughter is an AWFUL napper.  For those of you familiar with Babywise - I'm certain the 45 minute intruder lives at our house. 

Her morning nap lasts exactly 45 minutes.  She has slept 2 hours or more for her afternoon naps, but never consistently.  More times than not they are about 45 minutes.  

So to get her through the day we have to do a third nap (yep, we're still doing a 3rd nap -and I'm not gonna lie - sometimes a 4th if we just can't make it to bedtime) in which she sleeps, yep, you guessed it, about 45 minutes.  

I don't. know. what. to. do.  

At first I thought maybe she was hungry - so we've increased the amount of formula and started feeding food food.  I've tried to get her really tired.  I've tried to put her down before she's really tired.  I've tried getting the room warmer, cooler, darker, quieter, louder (seriously, she sleeps with a sound machine and a humidifier on)... you name it.  I'm at a loss. 

So do I just need to come to grips that my second child will never be a good day napper or have a consistent schedule... or is there some kind of hope?  Please help a sister out!

imageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: So - Suggestions?

• Options
    find yourself lucky she naps for 45 minutes.  My DD sleeps though the night like you're LO.  But I'm lucky if she gets 20 minutes the only time she gets more than that is if we go on a long car ride... and thats not always a gaurentee. 
    HarLynn's mama
  • Options

prior to this week, when nap strike 2011 started, my LO has consistently been a 45min napper.   He'll do (4-5) 45 minute naps per day.  He also sleeps from about 7p-7a, waking 1x at 5a (maybe) to eat.

Our pediatrician says he gets the gold star for 4 month olds and sleeping.  Other than making my day unpredictable and sometimes unproductive, I deal.  

I don't really think you have an issue, unless you aren't reading your tired baby's cues.  They are a bit young to be on a schedule at this point,.

Baby Boy Born 3.15.11. 8lb 9oz, 21.75in. 6 month stats: 20lb 11oz (92%tile), 30.12in.(100%tile - who knew it went over 99th? Which means 100% of other 6 month olds are shorter than mine!)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't see anything wrong with the way she naps, Stella naps twice a day and each time for a different amount of time - sometimes it can be 30 minutes, sometimes 2 hours, one never knows ... 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

we're on nap # 4 right now...

DS woke up at 6:15 and napped from 8-9

We went for a walk around 10ish and to run errands...he slept for 20 min (uughh) and we were home at noon

He slept from 1-3 (woo hoo!...this happens maybe twice a week)

it's now 5 PM and he went down around 4:45 and will probably take a shorter nap.  

I usually just go by the recommended awake time.  He can't stay awake for more than 2 hours without getting crazy.  I feel that if I tell this to DH or my parents when they watch him, it makes everyone's lives easier.  It all depends on when he wakes up for the day, which can vary day to day.   

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I think its great that you get 45 min. My LO takes 20 min power naps and LO doesn's sleep that many hours at night either.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I don't think your situation is that bad. DD takes 20-30 minute naps during the day and still doesn't STTN, she wakes every 2 hours at night. I would be thrilled with STTN and 45 minute naps. Besides, they're still pretty little, I'm sure it will get better.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Isn't crazy how different they can be?!?! We have the same situation with night time sleep as you for DS and DD. DD seems to nap okay but we aren't really on any schedule because our life is in flux right now. Something I remember hearing but have never tried was about 15 mins into the nap wake the baby just a little bit and it is supposed to help them sleep longer.

Rachel and Jeff Married 5.29.05

Jason is 8

Elizabeth is 6

Katherine is 18 months 

Lilypie Maternity tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"