Pre-School and Daycare
Options

How do you decide between half day and full day?

Josie starts school in September, and I don't know how to decide! I am a SAHM and she is never really with a sitter and has never been to daycare, except for when I workout. The difference for full day is that they get a nap, eat lunch, play outside and learn an extra lesson. So she would come home at 11:30 or 2:30. How did you decide???
Josie Cailin 7/25/08 Asher Mason 7/19/10

Re: How do you decide between half day and full day?

• Options
    DD1 is starting school for the first time this fall. No matter where we go it's 5 days a week around here, so we chose half day. She's never been in any sort of structured program (except once a week dance class) so I feel like going from nothing to 5 full days would be far too much of a change for her. If it were the case that I were working and she needed to go full time I'm sure she'd adjust fine, but since I'm a SAHM I see no need to send her f/t yet.
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    rsd12rsd12 member

I am home with the kids & did not feel the need to send my non-napping child to a program that required a nap.  I just felt like that was not the right program for my child, especially when I was going to be home with his younger siblings. He could have gone for free too.. but I loved loved loved the program I picked for him (was hoping my middle son would go there, but he is an extensive speech program in our town preschool instead.  I am still holding out hope that he will be there the following year & that my youngest will start too.

The program I chose at a local church is 2 mornings a week for 2 1/2 hours the first year & then 3 morning a week for 2 1/2 hours the 2nd year.  We have 1/2 day Kindergarten here too, so that was another factor.  My son has excelled in this program & it was the perfect fit for him & our family ; )

Boy 1 2/06 - Boy 2 12/07 - Boy 3 9/09
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DH and I work around each other's schedules so someone is always home with the kids. We have no need for him to be gone all day so he is just going half day. I think it's the right amount of time for him right now.
    P - 9/2008
    A - 8/2010
    L - 1/2013
    S - 3/2015
  • Options
    Okay, thanks everyone! She is going 3 days a week, and I think half days is a good start. The program allows me to change to full if I want, so I think 1/2 is a good way to start. Thanks for all the help!
    Josie Cailin 7/25/08 Asher Mason 7/19/10
  • Options

It was the money aspect for me...as well as the "afternoon session".  At Parker's preschool they just really play outside in the afternoon so it didn't seem worth it to have her there all day when she could play at home for free.

Also, I'm not suggesting your LO will be this way, but Parker was extremely tired after her 1/2 day program so it was helpful to come home and nap in her bed if she wanted to. 

• Options
    I split the difference.  Last year when DD was 3 she went for a half day.  I didn't really see the point in paying more for her to stay for nap time.  This year she is 4 and to prepare for KG I'm sending her full day.  Although they still have to offer nap, I know it will be short since a lot of the kids won't be napping anymore.  She'll also get a 2nd outdoor and/or gym time, which is important to me now in order to keep her active.  I know they'll get some additional instruction in there now too.  Plus, I think it will be good for her to stay at school until 2:30 since she'll be there until 4 when she starts KG the year after next. 
    DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • Options

I really liked 1/2 day preschool.  I worked p/t in the evenings when my kids were in preschool, so I didn't need school as daycare.

My DD did two 1/2 days in 3s, three 1/2 days in the 4s class, then went to five 1/2 days when she started kindergarten.  It was a really nice progression.  

By the time my son came along, kindergarten was full day.  He did two 1/2 days in 3s, five 1/2 days in 4s, did another year of five 1/2 days when he was 5, then started full-day K the same week he turned 6.   

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Options

Well, DS1 will be going to prek4 this fall (he went to prek3 last school year).  He goes to Catholic school and the way they do it is both prek's are half days.  You can either choose 7:20am-10:50am or 11:50am-3:20pm.  He goes to the afternoon session because he's getting out of naps, but DS2 still needs them so it's nice and quiet at home.  The prek-3's go twice a week, and the prek-4's go three/wk.

Kindergarden will be a normal school day. 

BabyFruit TickerLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers image image
  • Options

I work full time so when it was time for DS to start preschool, I could have sent him 3-5 mornings a week with our daycare provider picking him up at noon, or send him all day every day.  Since the sitter couldn't take DD to kindergarten for me (different school than the rest of her kids), I decided to put them both in the preschool.  DD goes before and after Kindergarten, and DS is there 5 full days for the preschool program.

He had never been anywhere except with an in-home daycare provider, so it was a BIG change but he did great.  He was excited to go after seeing his big sister get to go, and she was there with him every morning and afternoon.  He transitioned really well.

SS10 - SD9 - DD7 - DS5 - DS born 10/3/12
  • Options
    half day is all that is offered for PreK3 which is what my DS1 will attend as he is right after the cut off.  no deciding b/c its decided for us. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Rink08Rink08 member

Since I SAH, DH has an issue with us sending DS1 for a full day. Last year his preschool's afternoons consisted of lunch,nap, and outdoor/indoor play, reading a story/coloring to settle down before leaving. We had originally signed him up for all day but then decided that there really was no reason for us to be paying for him to nap there when I was home. 

He will have a second year of preschool (at a different school) and will still be going only half day. However, since we applied late (didn't know that we were moving until after the cut off), he will be in an evening class (12-3:30) which throws off our entire schedule since he normally naps then.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"