Upstate NY Babies
Options

WWYD re: LO getting up in the middle of the night.

Dylan used to be the one that woke up several times a night.  Now he sleeps through and Justin wakes up about 3x/night for a drink of water.  He's very easy to put back to bed, but it's still frustrating, as we have to get up early for work.  I feel like we don't get great sleep because we're always getting up with him.  My dh and I were talking about filling up a sippy cup and leaving it next to his bed.  Is this something you would do?  This seems like a silly question to ask, but I'm just wondering if maybe we shouldn't do this.  Justin is wearing a pull-up overnight and has done really well staying dry.  However, there are still times the pull-up is wet in the morning.  I guess I just don't want this to mess with his potty training, but really what's the difference if he drinks from a sippy or we bring the water to him.  I thought we could just put the amount he normally drinks throughout the night in the sippy so it isn't that much.  And I certainly don't want to do this just because we're getting annoyed with having to get up so much.

So......would you continue to get up or do the sippy?

Lilypie Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: WWYD re: LO getting up in the middle of the night.

• Options
    I know this is not the norm, but DD has a sippy cup of water in her crib with her. Granted we havent potty trained yet, but she was constantly asking for water and bedtime and one night she fell asleep cuddling with it so we just left it in there. Now every night before bed she makes sure its in there with her. To me it's not a huge deal and it would save us from getting up with her if thats what she needed.
  • Options
    If you give him a sippy next to his bed, will he chug it down and keep getting up? I mean I guess you can't really know that until you try but I would explicitly say, "Here is your sippy if you wake up and need a sip of water, but once it is gone then that is it." I know DH and I still wake up and have water bottles next to our bed - mine is a leftover PG habit but DH has always had to have water right next to him as long as I have known him (probably because he is a mouthbreather, esp during the night haha).
    image        image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I don't see a sippy of water as a big deal at all. It's not like you're putting him to bed w/ a bottle of milk, or leaving a juice box next to his bed.

I would try it and see if it works. But like a pp said, he might chug it all down at once, then wake up a few hours later asking for more (and possibly wetting through his pull-up) Or, he just might want the comfort of mom and dad and call you in anyways- even if he has the water already. Doesn't hurt to try though!

• Options

imageIrisheyes1247:
    If you give him a sippy next to his bed, will he chug it down and keep getting up? I mean I guess you can't really know that until you try but I would explicitly say, "Here is your sippy if you wake up and need a sip of water, but once it is gone then that is it." I know DH and I still wake up and have water bottles next to our bed - mine is a leftover PG habit but DH has always had to have water right next to him as long as I have known him (probably because he is a mouthbreather, esp during the night haha).

He probably would do that, but like you said, we won't know until we try it.  I'm also not sure he wouldn't still call out for us to get him water even with the sippy....lol.  I wake up thirsty during the night (usually when I get up with him) and think about keeping water next to my bed.  I kept a water bottle on my nightstand too when I was pregnant.  I definitely think he really is thirsty though and not just trying to use it as an excuse to get up since he's so easy to get back to bed.

Lilypie Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I think it's ok!  When I was little, my parents let us have a small bathroom cup of water next to our bed each night.  I've had water on the nightstand as long as I can remember.  I don't think it'll have any long-term impact on his potty training- myself and my siblings are potty trained!!! Stick out tongue
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"