Pre-School and Daycare

What size bike for a 4-year-old?

I see there are 12, 14, and 16 inch bikes. I know the 12 inch one is too tiny, but would the 16 inch be too big? She's almost 40 inches. I went to the store last night with the intention of having her sit on some, and they didn't have any little bikes out. Thanks!
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Re: What size bike for a 4-year-old?

• DD#1 has a 14-inch. She's 5.5 and it was a bit too big last year.

DD#2 will get a 12-inch. She's 4 and super petite......... 

image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • We got our DD a 16" bike for her 4th birthday.  It fits her perfectly.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • My daughter is 5.5 and about 44 inches. She has a 16 inch that we just got a couple months ago. She is just barely tall enough for it. I'd say go with the 14 inch, but be prepared that it will probably only last a year or so.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We also got our 4yo DD a 16". She fits fine on it, but has trouble pedaling. I'm not sure if it's because of the bike's size or her lack of effort though.
    image image Our Angel baby, lost at 6w6d on 6/10/08
  • We got DS1, who was 40" at the time, the 16" bike.  THe seat is adjustable and it will grow with him 'til it's time to get a big kid bike.  It has training wheels and everything.  He looked ridiculous in those smaller ones, his knees would hit the front bar.
    BabyFruit TickerLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers image image
  • DD was right around 40" at her 4 y/o birthday.  She had definitely outgrown her 12" bike with her knees almost hitting her chest as she pedaled.  The 14" was a perfect fit, but I felt that I would be buying a new bike in a year.  The 16" was harder for her to get on and off, but she could pedal once she was up.  I went with the 16" figuring it gave her more room to grow.  She can get on and off without issue now, which I am sure partly has to do with practice and partly due to the fact she probably has grown a bit already.  
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Santa brought DS a 10" when he turned 3...then we got a balance bike around 3 1/2 yrs.

Now that he can ride without training wheels he went through the 12" and now that he's 4 he has the 16" and it's perfect.  He's 36" tall fyi.  I think it depends not only on their height but the ability.  It takes some pushing power to keep the 16" going without training wheels :)

• We ended up getting the 16 inch for DD. Hopefully it'll be okay. :-)

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"