Secondary IF

Poll: Has IF changed the amount of children you want to have?

Specifically has it increased  the number of children you want?  I have noticed over the last few months some of our veterans are considering when they'll start again for #3. I wonder did they always want 3 or more children?

Note: I hope this doesn't upset anyone, I know when we are working on #2 and trying to resolve whether to continue to pursue treatment or stick with one child there is a lot of emotion involved.

Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Re: Poll: Has IF changed the amount of children you want to have?

• For me, I have always wanted to give birth twice and then adopt 1-2 more children.  However, since I feel like I am at war with IF now, and realize just how miraculous it is to get pregnant, I get this occasional itch to try to have a biological #3, rather than adopting my next child.  But do I really want to go through all this again?  I wonder if I should just keep pushing my body as far as it will go.
    Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • For me, it's hard to look into the future that far.  I am just concentrating on baby # 2.  I would like to think I would be happy after # 2 is here, but who knows.  At this point I think...after all this...I don't ever want to think about it again.  So I think when I was young and naive....I wanted 2 or 3.  I think I would be content with 2.  This is all too emotionally draining and it would be nice to never have to deal with it again.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • JMayJMay member

Not increased, no.  I wanted 3 or 4 almost all my life.  With these issues, my age and my DH's feelings on the subject, we've agreed to 2, if s/he decided to make an appearance by next June (by way of BFP).  I think that given all my issues, I will feel blessed if I ever get a second and I believe I will feel the loss of the other 1-2 less intensly.  I hope.

Doriimage
    "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming..."

Miracle DD born 12.2005
    TTC #2 since Dec 2008 w/ PCOS
    ***P/SAIF Always Welcome***

Keep it Natural, Baby!
  • JMayJMay member
    P.S. I couldn't agree more - having a second and then having the ability to say "ok, I don't have to worry about IF anymore" will be such a huge, awesome relief.  Though I will miss the Bump... LOL!
    Doriimage

Miracle DD born 12.2005
    TTC #2 since Dec 2008 w/ PCOS
    ***P/SAIF Always Welcome***

Keep it Natural, Baby!
  • I think I'm the opposite of what everyone has said so far.  I always wanted 2 kids - I really want a second one, I want to give my daughter a sister or brother - however, the more I go through this the more I wonder if we should stick with one.   I really doubt we would ever try for a 3rd.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I came from a small family, DH from a large. We never had a set number but always wanted lots if we could afford them. Maybe 4-6? 

IF has not necessarily changed our desire for a lot of kids, but it has shook us into reality. We know right now we will be blessed if we ever get pregnant again. 

It has also changed our life plans a bit as well. We had always planned on having a few bio children then maybe fostering when they were in school/teens. We are now halfway through the process of becoming a licensed foster home/foster-to-adopt. 

I still hope to get pregnant and have more bio children, but we also are way more willing to having children in other ways then we once were. 

Lastly, if we ever get pregnant again we will likely start saving to do IF treatments again shortly after for another baby. Just because it would have taken so long this time I want to hopefully not wait as long for the 3rd time. 
    Our Girls
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    AquinnahDori
  • I have always wanted two.  I can't wait to put all this IF stuff behind me.  I think my marriage has definitely suffered and it will be nice to be done.  
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've always dreamed of having at least 3-4 children, although it's been a huge shock to have it take so long to get pregnant.  Currently, our plan is to keep trying until we're about 35 yrs old or so (we're currently 32 yrs).  Working in the healthcare field, I'm extremely nervous about AMA.  I just feel so blessed and lucky to have had 2 sticky pregnancies and would love to maybe have at least one more. 
  • We've always wanted 2 and we still want just 2.  What sucks is that if we were to decide that we want a 3rd after all, well, we won't be able to, not with my eggs.  Part of me kinda wanted twins this time...I'm thrilled with 1, but if it were twins then I'd KNOW we were done across the board!  I feel we got super lucky with this little one, and add another couple of years to that and I think my ovaries will be shut down. :(  Having said that, I'm thankful we've been planning on just 2.
    Pregnant with #1 with PCOS and LPD, success with mostly naturopathic treatments
    Our Thanksgiving Day baby 11/22/07

imageimageimage

Pregnant with #2 with LPD, uterine polyp/hysteroscopy, DOR (AMH = 0.17), 2 c/ps
    Our early Christmas present 12/9/10
  • imagealchris:
    Part of me kinda wanted twins this time...I'm thrilled with 1, but if it were twins then I'd KNOW we were done across the board!

This is how I feel.  Because I have always wanted 3, but there is no way I can A convince DH to try again for a third, and B that I would want to put our relationship and children through this all again. 

Mr & Mrs - 10/15/05
    Elijah Matthew - 5/3/07 ~ Adalyn Rosemary - 3/23/11
    imageimage
    *Photos by Kacy Cierley*
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • LuckyHLuckyH member
    I always wanted 4 and DH wanted 2, so we compromised on 3.  After IF to get PG with DD and then everything we went through for this pregnancy, I'm done. 
    imageimageimageimage m/c at 8w4d - 10/2/09 baby girl Ruth Elise
  • When DH and I first got married, we wanted 3 children.  When I was pregnant with #2, we were on the fence.

Now that #2 is here, we feel like there is more than enough room in our family for one more.  We are hoping God agrees.

Wyatt 3.21.07 Grant 8.29.09 Ross 9.21.11 Pregnancy Ticker
  • I always wanted 2 kids and I think DH too. He had a child from a previous relationship so after Lyla he felt complete. I, however did not. I love my step-daughter and consider her my own. She lives with us full time. I still have a very strong longing to have another biological child. Hopefully I will get pregnant and feel complete too....

DD born 8/24/07
    TTC #2 since 4/09
    Unexplained Secondary IF
    4 failed rounds of clomid ~ 4 failed IUIs ~ 1 m/c
    2/3/11: IUI #5 - Femara/Follistim/Ovidrel/Crinone = BFP (2/14)!!!
    Beta #1 (12dpiui): 53 Beta #2 (14dpiui): 203 Beta #3 (20dpiui): 3932 Beta #4 (28dpiui): 60,775
    1st U/S (3/3): 2 sacs & yolks 2nd U/S (3/8) 2 heartbeats-TWINS!
    Baby A:6w6d HR 131 Baby B:6w4d HR 124
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    TWINS!! EDD 10/25/2011
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • we actually always talked about 3-4, but now we are just considering stopping at 2 if we get pg. Or even now I am starting to think it's just not meant to be and being happy with one. I've been going back and forth with that though, from being really into going for number two and then just thinking oh maybe just the three of us is best (usually during the 2ww and after a bfn).

• Do we have a mod who can report this garbage?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • When I was very small, I used to say that I wanted "10 sets of twins."  Seriously.

I would much prefer singletons now, but I'd love to have had a passel of children.  It's just not physically possible.  I've got less than 10 childbearing years left, and in the first 9 most fertile, I only managed 2 kids.

We may adopt some day--older kids from the foster system.  But I'd want my bio kids to be older than the adopted kids, since older foster-to-adopt kids so often come with so many problems.  So we're not even discussing it until we shut down the factory for good, so to speak.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    TTC since 6/02 (age 22) K/U instantly despite no AF for 5 months--preemie baby boy 1/03
    M/C 11/04 - M/C 05 - M/C 06 - BFP 2/08--fullterm baby girl 10/08 - M/C 4/11 - went to RE at age 31
    DX: crappy quality & infrequent ovulation, mild MFI
    Stimmed cycle #1 C/P 7/11 - Stimmed cycle #2 C/P 8/11 - Stimmed cycle #4 C/P 10/11
    On Stimmed Cycle #5
    Always thought I'd be a "mom of many"--now just hoping to be a "mom of one or two more!"
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"