April 2011 Moms

DD's development

After reading the prior post on what all of our LOs are doing, I am a little nervous about DD being behind. She is delayed a little because of her vision since she had cataract surgery at 1 month old and now has to wear a contact lens and glasses to be able to see well. So her vision wasn't corrected until she was almost 2 months. It seems like every other baby I know has hit milestones a head of DD.

She isn't grabbing for any toys yet and hasn't found her feet. She has been smiling and has started to giggle somewhat, but was slow to start smiling (probably due to her vision). She will not use her arms at all to push herself up during tummy time and just barely started lifting her head up off the pillow at all (she never seems interested in looking at me or her toys during tummy time.)

Is this normal for an almost 4 month old? Are we doing ok?  Her 4 month appointment is in a week and a half, I am just so afraid that we aren't working with her enough to help her develop, although I am not quite sure what would really help either. We do tummy time usually twice a day for 5 - 10 minutes.

Re: DD's development

• DS just found his feet this week and still isn't really into them.  I can see how the grabbing for toys and smiling would be affected by her vision.  Regarding tummy time, we basically rotate DS through different positions all day long so that he gets plenty of time off his head.

When he wakes up we do, say, 15 min. on his back on his play mat, then take him over to a blanket and put him on his tummy until he gets grumpy, roll him over and talk to him/play games/show him books for a bit, then back to his tummy until he fusses, roll him back over for more books/rattles & toys to practice grabbing/songs/wiggling time, then back onto his tummy, etc. All of that tummy practice seemed to help because he got strong pretty fast.

Now that he's sitting in the bumbo pretty well, we're doing less back time and more sitting up time while we show him books, hold a large wall mirror in front of him, etc.  We still do almost as much tummy time as before to help him get ready for crawling.

natural m/c 7.1.10 :|: sticky baby 4.25.11 :|: #2 due 5.18.13 BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • suv75suv75 member
    Don't worry. All babies are different. My son was advanced on some milestones but still doesn't do well with pushing up at tummy time ( we never did much tummy time since hard to find time between feeding and sleeping) . He will be 4 months next week. He does grab his feet but grabs at toys since 2 months. At this age things happen so quickly there is no use worrying.
  • Loading the player...
  • Babies develop on their own schedule - your pedi can give you some guidelines as to what your dd should be doing around each month, but nothing's set in stone! Some do things a little earlier than others, some a little later. Discuss your concerns with your doc, but I'm sure you'll find out that it's no big deal!

• It sounds like she's doing great especially considering her surgery (poor baby! Poor Mommy!) Don't put too much pressure on yourself. She'll probably do everything at once and then it's OH MY Gosh!! LOL Smile
  • Thank you for posting this! I was starting to get worried about our DD too. She smiles, kind of laughs, and "talks".  She sucks her hands like crazy and bats at her toys when they are hanging in front of her (but I'm not positive it is intentional). Otherwise, she hates TT, doesn't use her arms to push up and just barely lifts her head up when she does do TT. She can hold her head up when in her bumbo or when we  sit her up, but she gets wobbly after a while. She has only rolled over once and that was  because she got mad during TT. I drive myself crazy reading about everyone else's LOs and their milestones!  DD is very alert and she is interactive, just a little lazy on the physical side of things! Hopefully like PP said, she will just hit them all of a sudden at once! Oh and she definitely doesn't sttn!
  • Thank you for all very much. My mom tells me I worry too much, but I guess when I brought home my precious little baby girl who was absolutely perfect, I could never imagine anything going wrong. But after she has already been through so much with two surgeries, a contact, glasses and feeding issues, I worry all the time that something else will go seriously wrong with her. I just needed to hear some reassurance I guess =)
  • DD smiles and holds her head up and she's grabbing for toys but still misses a lot. I would think that would absolutely be affected by eye sight. She hasn't found her feet though and only rolled tummy to back once but her arm was stuck under her. I think you're babies is just fine!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • dont worry, my lo can hit toys and she grabs soft toys but she cant hold on to anything that has a ring on it because she has extra pinkies and they get in the way of her actually holding things, although shes doing alot already she will behind on walking because she has extra toes too and they are doing her surgery at a year old, :( im happy shes able to roll on her side and grab blankets and soft toys but she is going to have to learn all over again in 9 months :(
    Photobucket
  • Here is a milestone chart.  There's a big range of what is normal for every month.

https://www.babycenter.com/0_milestone-chart-1-to-6-months_1496585.bc

image Ethan 12.31.07 Lillian 4.1.11
  • Sounds pretty on par with my LO.  My pedi says he's normal, whatever that means.

BFP#1 "Watermelon" born 3/2011
    BFP#2 "Pumpkin" 7/14/12 ~ EDD 3/23/13 ~ Natural M/C 8/3/12 @ 7 weeks
    BFP#3 "Pineapple"  born 4/2013
    BFP#4 "Grapefruit" EDD 3/29/16
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"