School-Aged Children

Introduction

Hello ladies,

I have a 13 year old, 8th grader and there is really no place for me to meet others with older children around here.  So I was hoping that maybe I would find that here. My DS is at a very interesting age and most of my IRL friends have little ones or they have older ones, but they are girls.

I had my DS young, so I am TTC #2 and it is just not happening successfully right now, so I want to focus on my current situations in life.  I have a wonderful DH, just bought a new home in February, I am a high school teacher, and I love to spend time with my boys and love taking care of them. 

Looking forward to hanging here more and meeting you.

Danielle

Edit: took some stuff out to shorten.

Re: Introduction

• Welcome!  I have little kids but may be asking for help as my ds gets older!  Lol.  He is 6 and going into 1st grade.  I also have 5yr old twin dds who are starting Kindergarten...HOLD ME!  :'(   Cant believe my babies are starting big kids school! 

Im so nervous to have 3 in school and 3xs the homework.  

1st Day of Kindergarten & 1st Grade 08.29.11

Landon * Kaydance * Kennedy
    5/13/05 ******5/24/06

* Baby is due July 24 2012 * Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Hey there and welcome!

I teach HS as well -- ninth and tenth grade English.  My DD is going into 6th, and my DS is going into 1st.  I think there's another mom with a daughter going into 8th, one in early elementary, and a toddler.  

What do you teach? 

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Loading the player...
  • imageL D:

Welcome!  I have little kids but may be asking for help as my ds gets older!  Lol.  He is 6 and going into 1st grade.  I also have 5yr old twin dds who are starting Kindergarten...HOLD ME!  :'(   Cant believe my babies are starting big kids school! 

Im so nervous to have 3 in school and 3xs the homework.  

Absolutely ask me! I remember what it was like when my DS went into K.  I have so many pictures of that day.  GL with all of your babies in school!

• imageneverblushed:

Hey there and welcome!

I teach HS as well -- ninth and tenth grade English.  My DD is going into 6th, and my DS is going into 1st.  I think there's another mom with a daughter going into 8th, one in early elementary, and a toddler.  

What do you teach? 

Hey! I teach tenth and eleventh grade English! It can be rough at times!

You have to be feeling sad with your DD going into middle school!  6th grade is still elementary school here, so I was fine until last year!

Danielle

• imagecoreysmomma:
    imageneverblushed:

Hey there and welcome!

What do you teach? 

You have to be feeling sad with your DD going into middle school!  6th grade is still elementary school here, so I was fine until last year!

Danielle

Re: hs English -- I know.  The grading is intense.  Last year was my first year back in the classroom after taking 6 years off.  I worked p/t as a private tutor while DS was little.  Last year was the first time I've taught AND had my own kids in school.  Crazy.  I also prepped 11 new works of lit, so it was essentially like being a first year teacher again, only with really high standards for myself.

Re: middle school -- OMG -- orientation was Monday.  It was so weird.  My DD will be 11 in September.  Our cutoff for starting K was September 30, so she's among the youngest kids in the grade.  Although she's tall for her age, she's TINY compared to most of the kids at the orientation.  She hasn't really started to go through puberty yet, so she really looks like a child compared to all these gigantic kids. Thank God she's confident and mature socially and emotionally!

AND... she's going in a very competitive magnet program.  Of course, magnet programs are typically placed at sketchier schools, and this one is no exception.  The orientation was run by non-magnet teachers, and they seemed SO frustrated and tired... already!  I was, like, "Ladies, come on -- it's ORIENTATION!!  You have to be more positive than this!!"  We had the orientation to the magnet program back in the spring, and it was fantastic, fortunately.  It really runs like a school within a school in a lot of ways.  I'm such a hypocrite -- as a teacher I'd be totally against that type of thing, but as a mom, I'm loving it.

Anyway, didn't mean to blather!  Welcome to the board, and it's good to have another middle school parent along! 

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • imageneverblushed:
    imagecoreysmomma:
    imageneverblushed:

Hey there and welcome!

What do you teach? 

Danielle

Re: hs English -- I know.  The grading is intense.  Last year was my first year back in the classroom after taking 6 years off.  I worked p/t as a private tutor while DS was little.  Last year was the first time I've taught AND had my own kids in school.  Crazy.  I also prepped 11 new works of lit, so it was essentially like being a first year teacher again, only with really high standards for myself.

Re: middle school -- OMG -- orientation was Monday.  It was so weird.  My DD will be 11 in September.  Our cutoff for starting K was September 30, so she's among the youngest kids in the grade.  Although she's tall for her age, she's TINY compared to most of the kids at the orientation.  She hasn't really started to go through puberty yet, so she really looks like a child compared to all these gigantic kids. Thank God she's confident and mature socially and emotionally!

AND... she's going in a very competitive magnet program.  Of course, magnet programs are typically placed at sketchier schools, and this one is no exception.  The orientation was run by non-magnet teachers, and they seemed SO frustrated and tired... already!  I was, like, "Ladies, come on -- it's ORIENTATION!!  You have to be more positive than this!!"  We had the orientation to the magnet program back in the spring, and it was fantastic, fortunately.  It really runs like a school within a school in a lot of ways.  I'm such a hypocrite -- as a teacher I'd be totally against that type of thing, but as a mom, I'm loving it.

Anyway, didn't mean to blather!  Welcome to the board, and it's good to have another middle school parent along! 

Yes! The grading is intense at times!  I am going into my sixth year teaching and we make changes every year, so every year essentially feels like my first year again!  Those papers are rough.  I teach three sections of Honors 10th and I assign many papers, so then I am constantly grading 3 page papers!  It is a lot and I don't really know how to get it done without bringing work home.  Every year, I promise myself I won't bring work home.  I am tired of it. Now that DS is older, it is not that big of a deal, but when we have another LO around, it will be tough.

I can't believe what you said about the teachers leading the orientation!  They are tired in July?  Jeesh!  I know what you mean about your DD being one of the younger ones.  My DS turned 13 in June and is among the younger ones too.  He has grown a lot since only 7 months ago.  To me, December was the last time he was my baby.  He is too cool for me now.

I am sure your DD will be great in the program! I understand being a hypocrite as a teacher and a mom. I am right there with you in so many ways.

I can't wait to hear how she likes middle school. My DS was so nervous, and unfortunately he had to switch schools in the middle of the year and adjusted wonderfully.  Now, he loves jr. high (it is jr. high where I live).  

Danielle

• Welcome to the board.
    Newlyweds since 2007
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"