High-Risk Pregnancy

I have GD and I need help!

Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to introduce myself, vent, and ask for some help. My name is Gracie and I just found out that I have GD on Wednesday. Today, I took a class to learn about it and learned how to use my monitor. I was bummed out when I found out the news but I was feeling okay after the class. Well, I attempted to use my monitor after dinner and I couldn't get enough blood on the test strip.

I hate needles and seriously get weak in the knees when I see blood but I was a trooper and really tried to do this. I swear I pricked 5 fingers about 10 times (and threw away lots of strips) and I still couldn't get enough blood to get a reading. I feel stupid saying this but I cried because the window of time to test came and went. I spent an hour just trying to practice and I can't do this. I called the 24 hr nurse and she said to wash my hands with warm water and try again. I did and nothing! She said I could call the One Touch company for some tips. I am so frusterated! I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I am pricking the side of my finger and trying to squeeze blood out but only a very tiny drop comes out. I even moved up the dial to seven and still nothing.

Can anyone give me some advice on what to do? I put everything away and will try again in the morning. TIA

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: I have GD and I need help!

• I'm sorry you're having so much trouble!!

I wonder if because of your anxiety you're pulling the needle back from your finger without really meaning to?  Do you keep the thing pressed up tight against your finger with you push the trigger?

Another thought, don't just squeeze to get the blood out.  Start at your second knuckle and with your thumb and forefinger on either side of that finger, gently squeeze/slide them up towards the tip of your finger so you push the blood up towards the tip.

GL!

Caleb.02.01.08 | Asher.07.06.09 | Jude.01.19.12
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Mama Jan's Kitchen... a food blog
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • maybe you need a better lancing device...something a little bolder perhaps??  Try sort of milking your finger....like start from the bottom and squeeze up and then squeeze the pad of your finger and hopefully some blood will come.  sounds weird that you aren't getting any blood....  good luck!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you for your feedback Mama Jan. I didn't think about it but you are right I am having a lot of anxiety and I hate needles so maybe I am pulling back.. Wow, I didn't even think of that! I just need to start fresh and focus on what I'm doing. i follow your suggestion about starting from the knuckle. If not I'm calling the nurse again and will ask if I can go in so someone can watch me. It's my first time so I guess it's natural to be nervous and screw up! thanks again!
  • Thank you Lindsay! I might need a better lancing device. I will ask about that. Thank you for your suggestions.
  • Is there someone there that could help you squeeze your finger, a couple times I had trouble getting enough blood and my DH squeezed it for me (as he had 2 hands and I only had 1) and it helped....
  • You got great suggestions, and I agree with them all- even having DH squeeze your finger for you. Sometimes we are gentle on ourselves for fear of hurting ourselves, and while DH doesn't want to hurt you, he might put in just a little extra emphasis to get the job done.

Also, just know you're not alone- I went through the same thing. Seriously- so many needles and strips wasted! My issue was that I was pulling the device away too fast like a PP said. Put it flush with your skin, push, leave it a second, then remove and squeeze.

• Wash your hands with warm water and soap.  Dry them and shake the hand you are going to use.  Start rubbing your finger before you prick it.  Make sure your lancing device is set high enough.  Place it against your finger firmly and lance.  Keep the device in place for a couple of seconds and remove.  Milk your finger, again.  Make sure you are using the side of your fingerpad.  I promise that this will be second nature to you in no time.  It is just a little hard in the beginning.  Hang in there, you'll get it!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had the same exact problem as you and I was in tears and frustrated because I couldnt get it right. The best tip I got was to hold my finger downwards as I stroke it several times and then I pinch the joint below where I prick and it helps a drop come out easier. I know how frustrating it is to get enough blood to get on those test strips.. I ended up going through the whole sample pack and had to go to the drugstore to buy more until my prescription was ready.. I was seriously about ready to throw my monitor at the wall lol but thanks to the ladies help on this board, I got some great tips and barely ever mess up a test strip Smile
  • I am the biggest baby ever when it comes to having blood drawn. Trust me! I have to request to lie down or I WILL pass out, so the thought of having to test 5 times a day was provoking serious anxiety in me as well. The first night I had my monitor I tried pricking my fingers 20 times because I wasn't getting enough blood (I just wasn't doing it correctly) and finally had to stop when I felt like I was going to pass out.

The next day I had someone with experience show me what I was doing wrong. Follow the suggestions of the PP's. Make sure you dry your hands thoroughly after you wash them. Hold your hands down and shake them before you lance to get the blood moving. Keep your hand pointed down and use your thumb to apply a small amount of pressure just below where you lance (you'll see the area get red). Make sure you hold the device firmly against your finger. After you lance keep your hand pointed down and "milk" your finger by rubbing it.

I've only been testing a week and I seriously feel like an old pro. I barely feel the prick when I'm doing it correctly.  

• I agree with what the other ladies have said...and I am so sorry you're having this trouble!  Makes a crappy thing even crappier! :(

The place that works best for me is the palm of my hand.  I use that fleshier part opposite my thumb.  That's my go-to spot and I check 4 times a day.  

I found this picture to detail the alternate testing sites.  Maybe it can help a little too!  Best of luck!!!!

Alternate Diabetes Test Sites 

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would call your nurse back or whoever taught you to do the testing. They might be able to help you. My lancing device has 4 levels of depth, on my index fingers I don't need to have it go as deep. Does your lancing device have anything on it where you can adjust the depth that the needle goes in?

Wyatt 9/6/2011 
    Tessa 7/5/2013
    Baby #3- ????? (ttc soon)

• imageAmanda&EricB:

I would call your nurse back or whoever taught you to do the testing. They might be able to help you. My lancing device has 4 levels of depth, on my index fingers I don't need to have it go as deep. Does your lancing device have anything on it where you can adjust the depth that the needle goes in?

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thank you all for all the suggestions and support! You ladies are amazing! I did what everyone suggested and I did get more blood out...Also, I found out that I was doing this wrong. I was putting the drop of blood on the strip (on top) and not at the "edge" so it can suck it right in. I feel so stupid but now i'm using the monitor! YAY!

Thank you so much for all your help! it feels wonderful to have such a good support group here.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"