High-Risk Pregnancy

New to GD - sad, disappointed, overwhelmed

Hi,

I just found out today I have GD.  I'm so disappointed in myself and yet I know that it's just how my body is reacting to the hormones.  But I still feel like I failed because my body failed.  I've had morning sickness since 6 weeks and it's a little better but not gone (at 28 weeks today) so I've been living on carbs.  Plus I am a really picky eater.  I never could stomach fruits and vegetables.  And I don't eat many whole grains because of irritable bowel.  So, I just want to curl up in a ball and sleep for the next 12 weeks and not eat anything. Sad

I did want to say that I've read a lot of posts and you girls have to be the most supportive board there is.  I will be stalking past and current posts.  Thank you for being so kind to everyone who writes.  Good luck to all of you and may you have happy healthy babies!

Re: New to GD - sad, disappointed, overwhelmed

• I as diagnosed with my DD at 28 weeks and also very much living on carbs. I didn't have much morning sickness, but I just couldn't bring myself to eat meat. It was difficult to turn in that direction, but after a week or two I adjusted and it wasn't bad at all. You can do it! :)
    Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thanks for the"you can do it!" Smile
  • Loading the player...
  • When I was diagnosed at 28wks I was also very disappointed in myself.  Actually yesterday doc told me my fasting numbers when I wake up are just still to borderline high, so they started me on insulin injections at nightTongue Tied  So let me tell ya it's very frustrating.  I know what you are saying about living on carbs.  I did as well, so this diet has been the hardest thing.  Some days I cry and cry just wanting to give in because for me the hardest part is staying satisfied because I get hungry.  I mean you can only eat so many veggies and then say ok I need something "real" to fill me up.  All I can say is do the best you can.  If you give in at a meal or snack just get back on track and keep trying.  Just keep telling yourself it's not that long that you will have to stick with the diet and most importantly you're doing this for someone else and that's your precious baby.  Hang in there!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Hi, I was just diagnosed today also at 28w1d, and am feeling much of the same things. Sad
  • i was diagnosed with GD at 16 weeks.  i was very disappointed and overwhelmed.  it started out diet controlled and even on the diet my numbers weren't great and they baby was too big so on to insulin i went.  i'm sorry you are having a hard time.  i still get very overwelmed and i've been dealing with it for 3 months now.  the IBS and food aversions i guess don't help.  but i will tell you i don't always eat whole grain.  i do endulge in the white stuff!!!  just can't have as much.  good luck to you!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers BabyName Ticker pregnancy BabyFruit Ticker image
  • For me, the hardest part was knowing that, in addition to so many other things about getting pregnant and having a baby that weren't how I thought they were going to be, I would never be able to relate to that whole, "Oh, I'm pregnant, I ate three bowls of ice cream this morning and had Oreos for dinner last night, my sweet husband brought me cupcakes and pizza for lunch, I figured, what the heck, you get license to eat like this when you're having a baby!" crap.  It sucks to know YOU have to be the one to be different, but the truth is there are a lot more of us having to watch our diet or go on insulin than anyone realizes.  Yes, it sucks and is unfair, but none of us would trade an oreo binge for a healthy pregnancy and baby.  It's okay to feel cheated, or sad, or disappointed.  But focus on the ultimate goal, forgive yourself when you slip, and try your best to find a way to treat yourself every now and then.  You deserve it, you're making amazing sacrifices for this little one!
  • See, you guys are the nicest ones on the bump!  Thanks for all the words of support.  I truly appreciate it.  The baby is the most important person right now and that's probably what makes this even harder - to think I could be hurting him or her.  I'm a huge chocoholic but through this pregnancy chocolate hasn't really been doing it for me.  I still have candy from Easter and that is SO not like me!!  I hope to have a better attitude and frame of mind tomorrow but it's good to know that I might have bad days and that's ok too.  Thanks again!!
  • I think we can all related to those feelings of being sad, disappointed, and overwhelmed. Just know that you can do this with the help of this support group here and your team at your hospital. Once you have the baby you will be back to yourself again. We do need to be careful after the baby is born by taking care of ourselves with diet and exercise though. Remember you are not alone in this! We are here for you... good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"