Preemies

Polyhydramnios, baby measuring big, and risk of PROM

Hi Ladies, I went for my growth scan today and baby is measuring in the 61st percentile. They say she is 6.8lbs at 34 weeks. I also had my AFI measured and it was 26cm. Just a bit over normal. Dr asked me if I had GD and I said that I failed the 1hr but passed the 3hr. I wonder if I have late onset GD. Has this happened to anyone else. He didn't seem concerned and just said we would continue to monitor the situation. Ihe also spoke to me about the risks associated with PROM.  If you had this issue, what were your and your baby's outcomes.  TIA
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Polyhydramnios, baby measuring big, and risk of PROM

• HI! I had a big boy at 34 weeks, he weighed 5.49 lbs, and the doctor also asked me if I had GD, he tested LO for diabetes too, once born, the doctor insisted that the baby was way too big for his GA, but I only ate too much during pregnancy, too many tamales, he did however have hypoglycemia for a few days, I hope this info helps! God Bless!
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I had severe polyhydramnios starting around 24 weeks (AFI in the high 30s).  I pPROM'd at 25 weeks and delivered at 27 weeks, so my situation is pretty different from yours.  My DS spent 12 weeks in the NICU but is a happy, healthy 3-year old now.  I'm pregnant again (26 weeks) and my doctors do not expect me to have poly again (so far so good).

If your doctor is not overly concerned and doesn't want to test you again for GD, I wouldn't worry too much (easier said than done!).  I would say that if you AT ALL suspect you have pPROM'd, call your doctor right away.  Once your membranes rupture you are at risk of infection, which can be dangerous to even a full-term baby.  When my membranes ruptured it was a very slow leak - basically a drip. It didn't even fill up a pantiliner. It is not necessarily a gush of fluid like people tell you about.  It's also very hard to smell what it is, so if you have suspicions, just call your doctor and go in. They can test for fluid easily.

Best wishes.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"