Toddlers: 24 Months+

Front door help

Do you have a chain on your front door? DD can open doors and I'm scared that she will get her stool/chair or be able to reach soon to unlock the door and open and not only get out on her own but let our beagle out the door which is never fun running after him around.

I was thinking to get one of the two below. Which would you get and why? or if you have one does it work?

1Chain Door Lock

Brass Surface Bolt

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Front door help

• Does the handle on your front door have an actual lock? I always make sure the door is locked so DS cannot open the door. He can turn the handle also

I'd go with the first one personally. You can put it at the top of the door so she cannot reach it

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • We have a handle that turns and I put one of the door grips that she can't turn the handle to get out.

But I would do the first one at the top so she can't reach.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Loading the player...
  • We have #1 and it is placed high enough that he can't reach it, even when standing on a chair. We also have a deadbolt and a doorknob lock on both the front and back doors.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DG1DG1 member

IDK why people seem to think you can't put #2 at the top of the door. We have that on all of our exterior doors and the door to the basement stairs.

DS1 (now 2.75 yrs) has LONG been able to open both the door handle (lever handle) AND the deadbolt. We've probably had the slide locks on the doors since he was 18m or even before that. 

I recommend putting it as high as you possibly can so you can still reach it. H and I are tall, so ours actually go vertically into the top of the doorframe. If you're 5'2", you might have to put yours a little lower and horizontally.

But kids grow hella fast. Just because he can't reach it now doesn't mean you'll be OK with him using the slide lock when he's 5 or 6, you know?

• DG1DG1 member

FWIW, I think a chain will cause more door damage. When you open the door, it will hit the chain.  With the slide lock, the door doesn't open at all. Also, 2 screw holes vs. 4 is a little better. (But holes are holes, and it's a bummer either way.)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"